Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just installed Autothority stage 2 chips...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Autothority stage 2 chips...

Just installed a set of Autothority stage 2 chips and banjo...
Still have only the stock boost gauge, so am going concervative with the jet for the least boost... but the stock gauge hits the end real quick.

Anyway... I was quite pleased with the car before (although have only had it mere days)... but the chips have awakened it. What a blast to drive...
But it has begun. I cant leave anything well enough alone, and just be happy. Boost controller (similar to the audi boost-machine... dual regulator, pnuematic/manual) will hopefully be coming together soon.

The tires are shot (well beyond "home made slicks" at this point)... and have yet to get the proper spacers and lug bolts to upgrade the wheels (or even know what i want)...
So getting a new set of Kumho Ecsta 712's on the stock phonedials in the morning.
Have been really happy with 712's on previous cars... and figure i burn through tires pretty fast, anyway... so they're worth a try on the 951.

OK, gotta go find a traffic-free road around here now...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:35 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhallilama
OK, gotta go find a traffic-free road around here now...

That's the spirit... Before I change tires, I usually find an empty parking lot, myself. A large one... that is generally out of sight... and doesn't have anything to slide into. hahahaha...

Glad you like the chips. Many people don't realize how easy it is to gain power over stock with just chips and a boost controller.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the insight. I have a set of chips setting on my desk at home wating to be installed, however mine car hasn't ran since I got it back from the body shop. I was kinda doubtfull on installing due to some things I heard. (leaning out at high rpm's). Hope all is well, one of these days i'll install mine.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:28 AM
RPG951S
Racer

Sorry to HiJack this thread... but I've got a set of TurboS(28pin) Autothority Chips/BanjoBolt for sale.... $75+shipping... anyone? Buller? Bulller?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So getting a new set of Kumho Ecsta 712's on the stock phonedials in the morning.
Have been really happy with 712's on previous cars... and figure i burn through tires pretty fast, anyway... so they're worth a try on the 951.
Dude, using 712's is like iceskating in clogs - plain wrong.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

The chips/banjo have been the best 15 minute mod i've made to any of my cars. Would have been a quicker mod... except for the 3 minutes of staring at the plywood, just picturing some German dude's proud years at the table saw, knocking out all those pieces for Porsche.

Ecsta 712's have treated me well on previous cars... a particularly fast '95 M3, being at the top of the list. Not a tire i would love on a track... but for aggresive street driving- nothing can compare to the price.
Unless anyone has suggestions? 225/50/16's, and 205/55/16's... Discount Tire has Kumho's mounted, balanced (and they do a damn good job), with a road hazzard warranty, tax, out the door for $430. I've been curious about Falkens, but havent looked into the cost, or know how they'd hold up/grip...
So, open to suggestions for tires...

-Dan
Old 10-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was kinda doubtfull on installing due to some things I heard. (leaning out at high rpm's). Hope all is well, one of these days i'll install mine.
This is probably one of the biggest myths on the market. When used correctly (as instructed WITHOUT LBE or something else) they are a very good, very stable upgrade. It is when people use them in a manner that is not intended that problems occur.

As to the 712, it is one of the worst tires on the market. Most like them because of their price but they wear so quickly even price is a moot point. They have horrible traction, are so noisey it isnt funny, and they last about 10-12K (which is a good thing, at least they get replaced often).
Old 10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Matt,
Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm looking at getting the Fuzion ZRi's for my new set of tires, they seem to get good reviews from people here. Fairly cheap also, for 245/45/16's they are $85ea from tire rack, 225/50/16 are $72 if i remember correctly.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are the exception not the rule and trying something that was worth a darn you would never go back. Spend 5 minutes reading Tire Rack customer reviews or just find the search feature.

Having a Kumho on a Porsche is like wearing a folex with an Armani suit.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:50 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt H
As to the 712... ...and they last about 10-12K (which is a good thing, at least they get replaced often).
10 to 12K? I have yet to get any set of tires to last me more than 8K miles on any car, 'specially on the back! Cant figure out why . Odd, rental car tires seem to be shot in mere hundreds of miles...
Actually my last 712's lasted about 7k miles before they were toast. Thinking back, perhaps I wasnt as happy with them as I thought... was just overly joyed that they were vastly cheaper than the 18" Dunlop SP8000's they replaced.

The thing is... i seriously want different wheels... but these tires are far too shot to last until i find wheels i want (hell, they dont look like they'll last 'till Saturday)... So will just get new tires for these wheels...
Gonna research the the Yokohama AVS ES100, Falken FK-541, and maybe the Fuzion ZRi (honestly the first i've heard of 'em). Dry/Summer performace is all i really care much about. Rarely, if ever, drive in the rain.
Maybe i should start looking for a new tire shop, too...
Old 10-21-2004, 10:53 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

10 to 12K? I have yet to get any set of tires to last me more than 8K miles on any car, 'specially on the back! Cant figure out why . Odd, rental car tires seem to be shot in mere hundreds of miles...
Actually my last 712's lasted about 7k miles before they were toast. Thinking back, perhaps I wasnt as happy with them as I thought... was just overly joyed that they were vastly cheaper than the 18" Dunlop SP8000's they replaced.

The thing is... i seriously want different wheels... but these tires are far too shot to last until i find wheels i want (hell, they dont look like they'll last 'till Saturday)... So will just get new tires for these wheels...
Gonna research the the Yokohama AVS ES100, Falken FK-541, and maybe the Fuzion ZRi (honestly the first i've heard of 'em). Dry/Summer performace is all i really care much about. Rarely, if ever, drive in the rain.
Maybe i should start looking for a new tire shop, too...

Do a search here on rennlist for the Fuzions, you'll find some info.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

For an update:
Ran a wide-band a/f... running a bit rich from 4k to 6200rpm... but im still at 15psi, so have room to go. Idles great, smooth under 4k rpm, pulls enough to put a smile on my face, from 4k till redline. Manual boost controller is going on sometime next week... figure i can use the rich mixture to my advantage.

Also have a new set of Fuzions in stock sizes (205/55/16, 225/50/16)... quite pleased so far. Predictable, quite reasonable dry traction, pretty impressive in the rain (for what rain we get in socal)... overall, for the price... not bad. have about 400 hard miles on them so far.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Guys,
I've got a pair of Autothority Stage II chips on my desk (and the banjo bolt)... they keep calling to me... "install me... install me..."

It's getting harder and harder to ignore them, and they won't go away, so...

What should I know about the install? Anything special to watch out for? Recommendations on other adjustments to make at the same time? The PO unhooked the boost regulator, so I'll reconnect it... I've got a free-flow exhaust... anything else?

Thanks much,
cag4
Old 10-27-2004, 09:41 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

dhallilama - Be careful with the MBC - Cranking the boost on an Autothority equippped car has been known to cause failures. The custom banjo bolts are your boost controller. Matt H eludes to this fact up above. The LBE he refers to is a type of boost controller.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:42 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so, iam just curious, whats the max boost you can run on a1986 951 with a autothority maf / chips and a k26-8 turbo, and still run a reliable car. considering the car has a good wastegte, b7b exhaust, stock injectors,stage 2 intercooler, adjustable FPR. i was hoping for 18 psi, but iam not sure yet cause i really have no clue, eventhough i have been reading posts for the last week, but you dont know who is right from wrong.
thanks guys

Quick Reply: Just installed Autothority stage 2 chips...