Engine ground wiring, and vacuum hoses

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM
alexands
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine ground wiring, and vacuum hoses

I'm rebuilding my 86 951 and need the following info:

1. Engine Block grounding - I have 2 heavy-gauge "orangish" leads that come out of the engine bay wiring harness (the big piece of rubber tubing that has the firewall grommet for the DME wiring). One has big ring-connector, the other small ring-connector. I'm pretty sure the big one goes the block. Is this correct? Where does the small one go?

2. Vacuum hose replacement - I've purchased the lindsey kit, which appears to to only replace the smaller lines, What about the vacuum hoses (the ones that are maybe .75" diameter)? There's tons of them under the manifold. Do I need to replace those with pre-formed OEM replacements, or can I get some generic black hose from the local auto parts store and cut my own? I figured as long as they don't kink I should be able to do just that. Is this the case?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

You are correct. The lindsey kit only replaces the small ones. Since you have an 86 you can get the correct porsche molded hoses for the updated idle stablization setup from lindsey. You will also need a venturi delete kit, as well as a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from the fuel vapor purge system to the Jboot. These kits give you purosil hose which is nice quality silicon based vacuum hose which won't go bad anything soon.

I did not order the venturi delete system (thinking the two things I order from lindsey covered it), so I kind of hacked my own. I reused the crazy aluminum snake thing. I was able to temporarily use some heater hose to replace the 90 degree angle piece that comes off the Crank Case Vent. into that crazy snake thing. Got that from napa. Was unable to find a molded piece to replace the Jboot connect to the crazy snake thing which corresponds to the CCV. Was able to get some silicon based vacuum hose to redo all the other larger diameter connections, including wastegate line. So with my hack I did not replace the ~3/8 vapor purge system to Jboot and reused the CCV Jboot to crazy snake thing hose. I would suggest getting the stuff from MySwiss or lindey if you aren't under a lot of time pressure. I don't think you are going to be able to find good preformed hoses for the idle stab and the other stuff i mentioned. I hacked mine because I had to get the car back together.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think theres two or three hoses that are worthwhile replacing using actual Porsche parts, only because they are molded in goofy shapes that make regular Purosil hose kink badly...

Do you have the big word doc about vacuum hose replacement/venturi delete?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

The ones that would kink badly would be the idle stabil. motor to intake. Idle stabil. motor to Jboot. Intake to brake booster. These are included in the updated kit from lindsey. These are really the only one I can think off off the top of my head. Any others?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
The ones that would kink badly would be the idle stabil. motor to intake. Idle stabil. motor to Jboot. Intake to brake booster. These are included in the updated kit from lindsey. These are really the only one I can think off off the top of my head. Any others?
Im pretty sure those are the three
Old 09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
alexands
Pro

I don't have the big word doc. If you could point me to it I would appreciate it.

Also, because I'm going to race my car in a stock class I am limited to the things I can delete or alter. I think I read somewhere the 87+ cars didn't have a venturi valve. If that's the case I can do that mod.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 03:29 PM
alexands
Pro

I found the Word Doc. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexands