LHD to RHD Conversion Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Cypher_Mars
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LHD to RHD Conversion Kit Question

Hi guys,

To introduce myself, I've been searching to get a Porsche for over 2 years now. I've first opted for a 928S4 originally, but the gas guzzling really stopped me in my tracks. As you can tell, budget is a big thing for me.

Then I found the 951. Fast, can be used as an everyday car, prestigious and looks good... and best of all, affordable. Everything I wanted in a car.

However, the cheap ones here (Australia) is imported, and that usually means it is Left Hand Drive (LHD).

The only way for me to legally drive it would be to buy a conversion kit and change it to RHD (Right hand drive).

I'd like to ask if anyone here has any knowledge or experience with these conversion kits? Do they fit well? Is it easy to perform the conversion? Is there any hidden problems with conversions?

I'm seriously interested to get this car, and be a proud member of a Porsche owning Rennlist member... instead of just a Rennlist member.

If anyone has any info or experience with this, I'd very much like to speak to you. My e-mail is Marvin@Cyphermars.com if you want to contact me directly, but posting here would be good for sharing information with everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are on a budget and you are looking for an inexpensive 951 that you are going to convert to right hand drive?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Does somebody actually sell a kit to convert the steering on a 951?

The proper way would be to use factory parts, but that's never going to be cheap. Even if you got the parts for free, the work to install all that would be huge.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know if there is a kit but peole do it often... basically I think the 951's are so cheap LHD locally that you may look at converting it. Personally I would never touch one.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why the heck won't they just let you drive it LSD? So you're on the other side - big deal.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 PM
H2OCool'd
Track Day

Porsche-O-Phile: Unfortunately, the Aust government don't allow the use of LHD vehicles unless they are older than 30 years (in South Australia). In order to register a vehicle younger than 30, it must be RHD, which is why there are so many LHD to RHD conversions, especially 911's. Sometimes the Aust government is a bit behind in their thinking (Europe allow LHD or RHD in most countries)

Cypher_Mars: A LHD to RHD conversion would definitely be possible, but not cost effective. There are no "kits" like the 911 conversion kits. It would cost big $$$. I've had a 951 for 9 years, and the cost of parts in Aust are sometimes horrendous. The main wrecking yards in Aust have LHD vehicles, so the RHD parts are hard to find. Sometimes Porsche parts are the only source.

The best solution is to save up some more dough & buy a good RHD local 951, or import a RHD version from Hong Kong.

Cheers
H2OCool'd
Old 09-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about if you promised only to drive in reverse?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:38 AM
M@rk951
Instructor

How about if you promised only to drive in reverse?
LOL

i think u may have a point and just save up the money and get a RHD one or import one.... thats what i would opt for
Old 09-15-2004, 01:58 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lol LHD would make overtaking a bit hit and miss!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

Try Aporschapart in Melbourne. They actually convert from RHD to LHD for some of the competitors in the 944 series racing (better weight distribution given the lean of the engine). They are probably the most experienced in oz for this type of work.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:34 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

nz, probably more hit than miss

hate to say it but you are sorely mistaken if you think a 951 is a budget-oriented vehicle when it comes to cost of ownership. even if yours runs PERFECTLY you will and i repeat WILL want to spend money on it :P
Old 09-16-2004, 11:24 AM
ebs
Instructor

You can drive LHD in Western Australia if the car is at least 15 years old - I have a LHD 928. My mechanic has done a number of conversions for 951s, and is arguably the foremost authority on 951s in Australia (he used to prepare them for a pro racing team). If you want his contact details, cypher_mars, email me at: brett@graduate.uwa.edu.au
He is not always great to talk to over the phone as he is always flat out, but very knowledgeable, and I am sure would probably do the conversion if you sent the car to WA.

Keep in mind that I think the cost is like $8k and that brings you close to the price of a RHD car potentially. Though the LHD cars out of Japan tend to have quite low K's.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: LHD to RHD Conversion Kit Question