i have guru's and i didn't pass emmisions, running way too rich
replaced the ff:
afm
plug wires and rotor
oil and fuel filter
adj the fpr to the lowest setting,
O2 sensor
vacuum lines checked with no leaks
with all of these items replaced, inspected and repaired still it, didn't pass.
i had to resort to other under the table deals to get it to pass so i can have the car shipped to here.
btw, Danno offered to give me leaner chips but didn't, i understand he's busy and had trouble at the time. i'm not bitter, just wished that he would've came thru before i spent so much.
ps. "this is not to flame Danno", he's been a lot of help to me and others, just hope he gets his business back on line and come up with more go fast products
Old 09-10-2004, 10:21 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously none of the 951 tuners can claim that their chips are for road use since they don't have huge R&D budgets to ensure they will pass emissions tests and conform to all laws in every state. The best you can do is hope it works.

Max
Old 09-10-2004, 10:37 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=hosrom_951]Guru Racing chips would pass emisions, just wanted you to know
QUOTE]

and you know this how????
Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Billy W
Racer

I have passed inspection with Guru chips and passed inspection for 3 years with APEs. And after next year even Charlotte will only have OBDII testing and I will only have to pass a visual.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

You know...If you stop and think about it, It really shouldnt matter. If everything is working correctly. Good O2 sensor, Good cat, etc then the car should pass emissions with any chip. The O2 sensor is keeping its mixture at the proper ratio. The only time it would make a diff is if they checked at full throttle.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my experience, I've passed emissions with APE's, Guru's, and Vitesse chips without issue. All of the tuners have the same "off road" only disclaimers. In CA, if you don't have that disclaimer, the mod has to be registered and approved by the CARB, which can be pretty pricey.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:17 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by awilson40
You know...If you stop and think about it, It really shouldnt matter. If everything is working correctly. Good O2 sensor, Good cat, etc then the car should pass emissions with any chip. The O2 sensor is keeping its mixture at the proper ratio. The only time it would make a diff is if they checked at full throttle.
in theory yes, but different cars tend to run differently, there is no guarantee that the chips which produce a perfect AF on car X won't produce a rich AF on car Y. seen it happen many times.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:37 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"All of the tuners have the same "off road" only disclaimers"

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"[QUOTE=hosrom_951]Guru Racing chips would pass emisions, just wanted you to know
QUOTE]

and you know this how????"

This is how i know, and as i said, Guru CLAIMS! :

Quoted off Guru Racing.net:

"Additionally, our chips allow your car to idle cleanly without an overly-rich mixture (you'll actually pass smog inspection!). You won't have a lean spot from 1200-2000rpm that causes stumbling as you come off idle. And most importantly, the dangerously lean tendency at high-RPMs under full-throttle has been eliminated"

Why don't you guys READ what vendors say, that is why they are there.

Smnk951: Well, you spend a LOT replacing those parts, and i KNOW for a fact that emission's in Germany are the strictes in the world (what i know since i was there and my step-father is german). They got really REALLY strict emission control over there.

Not trying to stirr up anything, but if you are going to start 'upgrading performance' on ANY car, you should really ask ALL/AS MUCH questions as you want.

You are buying their product(s), your spending your hard-earned money. It would be a complete shame when you spend money on something and it doesn't do as it was told simply because "you never asked/inquired' a feature.

A bit OT here, but why are these alot of complaints specifically on Guru products? especially their chips? if i were to compare the number of complains to number of 'happy/satisfied' customers, it's more like a 10:1 (10 for happy).

Even John (Fast951) mentioned how/what features to look for when purchasing any product from any vendor. You just don't come here, ask about people's opinions and get satisfied, ask the vendor himself. You are just getting an opinion here from experiences, the final choice is yours.......
Old 09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

uh hosrom, you didn't say anything about guru's claims in your previous post, instead you said rather definitively that guru chips will pass emssions. i quote:
Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Guru Racing chips would pass emisions, just wanted you to know
something i found rather strange since you don't actually own the chips.

on the subject of READing, if you READ the comments of folks who have actually used the products you will see that manufacturers claims are often not accurate.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:47 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

"
A bit OT here, but why are these alot of complaints specifically on Guru products? especially their chips?
a more relevant question that i have is why do people who have never used particular products, such as guru chips for instance, feel it necessary to make sweeping proclomations about what they can and can't do? i have used guru chips, as well as APE chips and welmeister chips and vitesse chips.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:52 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Shaheed: I did read the comments of other people, that is why i mentioned a comparison (which we really shouldn't do)

I/We know that MOST manufacture claims are not accurate, at least these (Guru) mentioned something about it (in regards to emissions).

And if i mislead anyone (i usually type things and mean another) then i am sorry. we shouldn't be like this always 'fighting/complaining' on what one said.

If you must know about me not owning the chips, i sent 1 e-mail to a vendor and got more details on the chip than what i asked for (including dyno's, A/F ratios etc), where as others gave me a simple and straight response (seach form for vendors test). Every vendor has their 'style' (i am not specifically mentioning anyone at all here )

Anyway, enough said. I honestly hate it when we start to compare 'who's best and who's worst' out there.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:57 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Shaheed: What i meant to say when not owning a product and commenting on it, is that when you ask regarding a product and get almost every detailed aspect of it, we tend o 'feel safe/knowlagable' regarding that product, am i right? we are like this.

It's a matter of opinion, and i gave mine. If i recall, this post was regarding which chips to get/buy, i gave my opinion, and so did several others basing it on experience (in my case, my experience would be the details i got). Did you ever see me saying "This vendor's chips are better than that one becase ........". I never claimed that, i claimed what i know and quoted manufactures claims here as well.........and also mentioned what is the 'proper' way to find out which vendor you'd purchase (in this case' chips from.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:59 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

hosrom,
the point that i'm making is simply that if you have never owned guru chips, nor have you ever taken a car that has guru chips for emissions testing then it is dishonest to say something like: "Guru Racing chips would pass emissions, just wanted you to know". especially when people exist who have not been able to pass emissions with them. this in itself is not a knock on the chips, rather it is simply pointing out the truth.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:05 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I simply said and quoted what the vendor claimed, since i didn't see any other vendor mentioning anything about passing emissions..........

Just to get things clear here, i am not 'supporting/standing by' Guru racing in anyway. I just mention things from them that people (like you and i) overlook.

As far as my quote goes saying "Guru Racing chips would pass emissions, just wanted you to know"

As i mentioned, JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW, and i quoted it as well from their website.........

Now we are going around in circles .........
And if i mislead anyone (i usually type things and mean another) then i am sorry
Old 09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

(in my case, my experience would be the details i got).
yeah if you by the details that kia gives out then their cars are better than toyota. do you really think that someone who drives both cars around for an extended period would agree? that's what i mean by experience....

anyhow i agree that this has gone OT, i'm not going to digress anymore.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Chip