Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the lead concirning "best chips" went from GURU to VITESSE?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:27 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

yes
Old 09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, the APE2's are pretty bad.
That is a load of crap. When used as intended they perform perfectly. They are not meant for tinkerers or boost junkies. They were designed to make safe, reliable HP for the guy who just wants a little more oomph and a set it and forget it upgrade.

John has been a very good lister and people speak highly of is products, I am sure his chips are very very good. I dont doubt for a second that his chips are "better" than a set of APE chips, but comparing what he sells (or anyone else for that matter) to what APE sells is not a 1:1 comparison.

The above quote is probably one of the biggest myths on the internet.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
That is a load of crap. When used as intended they perform perfectly. They are not meant for tinkerers or boost junkies. They were designed to make safe, reliable HP for the guy who just wants a little more oomph and a set it and forget it upgrade.
Agreed with Matt on this one. if your're just looking for decent HP and don't plan on upgrading later, the APEs' work well. Toss them in and drive. It's when you start adding aftermarket WG's, boost controlers that they start to get dangerous. For the going e-bay rate of less then $100 they're a good deal. The full retail price of $600 is a rip off.

When I went through all of my chip experimentations and dyno's I always went back to APE's' to regain the "stock" drivability......Until I found the Vitesse Chips, now the APE's sit in the toolbox.......

As far as the vitesse chips go. The offer the most HP and the best drivability.

Anyone need a set of APE's with the Banjo Bolt?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:49 PM
turbinek
Instructor

O.k. let's get a bit more detailed, why should VITESSE Chips be better?
Some time ago GURU was called the best on this forum if I am not mistaken...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure they're both great chips (no experience from Vitesse).
In some configurations Vitesse's chips might have a slight HP gain and in some other configurations Guru's might have a slight gain..
I don't think it's possible to name one maker as the very best..

In the end it's about price and support.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"As far as the vitesse chips go. The offer the most HP and the best drivability"

Well, that statement is just as up for debate as the "APE are crap".

I have run GURU chips from the beginnning and make al the hp they advertise and have absolute no driveability issues at all. Also comparing GURU chip dyno graphs to Vitese, I see very little difference.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

When comparing products (any products not just chips) Wouldn't it be more constructive to detrmine the comparison criteria? As far as chips are concerned I would think anyone purchasing chips should evaluate the followings (I'm sure there will be additional factors to add to the list).
- Drivability and reliability (Hesitation? cold/warm start? Transition between off/on/off boost...)
- Performance HP/TQ gains (power curve, not just peak numbers)
- Customer support (before and after the sale, delivery, follow up...)

Of course some of the above are hard to measure, however people that tried both products can give their input here.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:39 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

- Drivability and reliability (Hesitation? cold/warm start? Transition between off/on/off boost...)
my car would never even start with the other chips (went thru multiple iterations). they started right up and ran with vitesse chips, didn't have to do anything but put them in....

- Performance HP/TQ gains (power curve, not just peak numbers)
a little hard to compare when the one set of chips never ran!!! i'm pretty happy with the performance of my vitesse setup with a crappy turbo (k27/8) though.

- Customer support (before and after the sale, delivery, follow up...)
absolutely no comparison here, on the one side you send emails and never get a response. on the other side not only does john respond quickly, he keeps in touch and goes out of his way to make sure you have no problems. just last night he emailed me a more optimal boost map to try on my car even though i hadn't asked him.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
"As far as the vitesse chips go. The offer the most HP and the best drivability"

Well, that statement is just as up for debate as the "APE are crap".

I have run GURU chips from the beginnning and make al the HP they advertise and have absolute no driveability issues at all. Also comparing GURU chip dyno graphs to Vitese, I see very little difference.
toddk911, How would you know??????? Since you have NEVER tried a Vitesse chip, you're not comparing the same dyno's on the same car. I have, and there was a 15HP and 20 TQ difference on the same car. Period. No one ever said the Guru chips didn't make the HP they claimed. I'm saying the Vitesse chips make a bit more on an "average" car. The Guru chips are a good option for some people. I paid a few more bucks then the guru set-up to get max HP, drivability, and service. Maybe the Guru stuff is worked out now, maybe not.

As far as drivability issues goes, it is hit or miss with Guru chips. How many guys have complained about popping between shifts or during decel? How many guys have complained of hesitations and minor bucking under part throttle? How many guys have complained about cold start issues? How many guys have complained about poor service? Dozens of people....do a search. Personally I was a bit embarrassed when I would cruise with a local (upper scale) car club and my car popped like a Honda with a fart can. My car didn't do this with welts, APE's or the Vitesse chips.

What I will say is that if you order something from Vitesse, it will get there when you expect it. If you're not happy with it (I don't know of one person who has been), he will make you happy right away.

From a guy who has actuall tried the products.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I have only tried Stock, Europroducts and Vitesse. I had stumbling , partial throttle issues with both Stock and Europroducts chips. I also had really bad cold start issues. The car acted like it was on 3 cyl for a min or so. None of this with Vitesse. I know a little about the changes made to the code and its far and above the simple map changes of ALL the other companies.
TT and John have really tweeked the code and it shows.
Its my humble opinion that Vitesse has taken the tuning to another level. Thats not a slam on any other company, just an honest observation.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, do a search on 'Placing our Vendors to the test', this has been covered befor.

John (fast951) i am still waiting for a reply, i sent you a PM over a week ago?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
silverbullet
Pro

ToddK911- I live in St. Marys county but frequent Baltimore and Annapolis.

So a Vitesse chip puts out around 285 ft#s of torque? I guess with a chip, good 3" exhaust, and maybe a Tial; I should have around 300bhp and 300lb feet.
I need to find a good dyno.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chips give your ~240whp

Exhausts wouldn't do much if your plans are under 400whp

Tials/Wastegates would just hold to boost (and maybe increase it by 1~2psi if you shimm the stock WG).

The turbocharger and boost pressure is/are the keys for more HP.

With thos 15psi chips, exhaust and WG, you'd be hitting ~250whp.

If you go to the Vitesse Racing website, and click on chips. You'd find that they mention that you shouldn't be boosting over 17psi on pump gas, which is true. Unless you have reallr REALLY high grade of pump gas (99 octane) 18psi is safe. But, a lot of tuning would be taken for 18+psi to get the engine running on a safe scale.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:33 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

hosrom_951, I replied to all of your PMs. What are you talking about???

Guys, if you want to get hold of me, it's best to email me directly... Private messaging is not the best way to reach me... And my PM just got turned off!!!!

Quick Reply: Vitesse Chip