Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil leaks; a compilation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:24 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leaks; a compilation

I'm on my lunch and reading the threads, seems like a lot of Mobil 1 is ending up on the road so lets see if we can get a list on here of all the places that it leaks from and what it takes to fix it. (post links if you would like) lets hear some good fixes, these cars are old and have a few miles on them lets keep them in top shape.

ok my $.02 check the torque on the oil pan.
One of the corner bolts was loose on mine. tightend to 10 inch pounds, havent seen any new drips.

the 10 inch pounds was a guess anyone have the torque spec?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
boosted951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... I thought I had a oil pan gasket leak... a lot of you guys chimed in and gave me some good info on repairs... I jacked the car up this weekend and saw that it might actually be the rear balance shaft seals... It is the disc that flutters and leaks.... I am now trying to compile as much info on the balance shaft seals as possible. Am I going to have to take the belts off...? Is it going to be a very labor intensive job? How long will it take? How much would a good shop charge? It may also be the front ones as well.....should I go ahead and replace all the seals, belts etc...? Thanks in advance.... Someone also suggested that I used a RTV sealant to seal the leak...very inexpensive and easy, but is it effective? How long would it last...etc...

azmi951... this is a good idea... i noticed a lot of people lately are having oil leak problems...

wel need a good place to go to learn as much as possible about possible locations and fixes.... keep em coming guys...
Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

the rtv fix can be effective and can last several years. You need to have the area absolutely clean and grease free. Use a good brake cleaner and let it dry, then coat the area around the disks with a good quality silicone sealant, I like hondabond or yamabond, and work it into the gaps around the disk. Let is set for a day or so and enjoy your leak free car.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Oil pan torques to about 10Nm
It's important (or so it seems from what people say) to torque in the proper sequence (basically inner to outer).
Old 09-07-2004, 11:49 PM
shane rizzo
Intermediate

Boosted 951 go to your local porsche dealer and get a tube of what is called Drei Bond this stuff is very risistant to oil. I had the same problem with my balance shaft end plugs and have had no more leaks. clean the surface use this stuff and your good to go. It will work better when its exposed to oil.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:55 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted951
Yeah... I thought I had a oil pan gasket leak... a lot of you guys chimed in and gave me some good info on repairs... I jacked the car up this weekend and saw that it might actually be the rear balance shaft seals... It is the disc that flutters and leaks.... I am now trying to compile as much info on the balance shaft seals as possible. Am I going to have to take the belts off...? Is it going to be a very labor intensive job? How long will it take? How much would a good shop charge? It may also be the front ones as well.....should I go ahead and replace all the seals, belts etc...? Thanks in advance.... Someone also suggested that I used a RTV sealant to seal the leak...very inexpensive and easy, but is it effective? How long would it last...etc......
RTV sealant is the way to go, i sealed both rear covers and neither has dripped a drop since, and it has been months. You do not have to pull the belts, but to get to the upper one, you need to pull the intake. Having the turbo off and heat shields off makes it really easy, but i am sure you can wiggle your finger down onto the cover to seal it up good with the turbo in place. Use the RTV copper color.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 AM
shane rizzo
Intermediate

use Drei Bond. blows RTV out of the water.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come those oil pan bolts are only at 10NM? is it because the pan is aluminium? To me that seem's not tight at all........and after 18 years, those would tend to become really lose........
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 AM
boosted951
Racer

Thanks guys.... I know where to get Drei Bond...Where can I get the Yamabond...or Hondabond? Dealerships.... Home depot.... Autozone etc...? thanks for all the advice and input.... I will definitely try the rtv first....
Old 09-08-2004, 11:35 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yamabond is sold at any Honda motorcycle dealer and parts place. You want the Yamabond 4.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 PM
shane rizzo
Intermediate

yamabond is used to seal to metal surfaces such as 574 used on case halfs on a 911. you have to use the right stuff for the application.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:27 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
How come those oil pan bolts are only at 10NM? is it because the pan is aluminium? To me that seem's not tight at all........and after 18 years, those would tend to become really lose........
They are 6mm bolts.

The factory spec for all 6mm bolts not otherwise given a torque spec is 8Nm, so its actually a little tighter than most 6mm's on the car are.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:54 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Hosrom
Without getting into the engineering of gaskets and torque specs think of the surface area of the oil pan gasket and the force that 15 bolts are putting on it. If it were fewer bolts they would need to be tighter and thus bigger but since there are so many of them they distribute the force on the gasket very evenly which is the most important element when dealing with gaskets. This is why you should always torque bolts to spec even if it seems that they are loose.

Quick Reply: Oil leaks; a compilation