Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Red stuff? Green stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Nico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red stuff? Green stuff?

Any experience about these EBC Green Stuff brake pads? Do they have any braking power when hot, compared to the original stock ones?

What about Red Stuff? Braking power cold/hot vs. original?

Has anyone tryed combination Reds front/Greens rear (no matter the warning)?
How about Reds front/stock rear?
Or maybe Stock front/Greens rear?

What about Reds mileage vs. stock original mileage?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I use greens, similar performance to standard (possibly slightly better) but with much less dust. Originally only had them on the front and the rear wheels got dirty first, now have them front and back.
Tony
Old 09-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nico
Has anyone tryed combination Reds front/Greens rear (no matter the warning)?
!!

What do you use your car for?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Sami951
Drifting

For some reason, greens were terrific on my 944S, but sucked on the 951... guess they just can't take the heat FWIW a few other finns have also had problems with track driven 951's on EBC greens... no clue if the red ones are any good, could be.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I've used EBC for years on the motorcycle but I don't have any experience withtheir car pads....
Old 09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

a friend of mine ran them on his galant vr-4, they wore really fast but he liked them i think.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Nico
Instructor

Yep...

Peckster (and Sami) this is the thing now you see:
I have just installed the Green ones, all around. They have not seated yet, because the car has only been driven for maybe 20miles since the installation, so maybe they get better... But...
The brakes feel now much more front balanced after the install. The nose dives when I hit the brakes. I was thinking that maybe the gained friction of these "Greens" turns into a disadvantage with the turbo (S) big brakes in front? Thats why the tweak...
As far as I know the "small turbo" cars use the same size pads front and rear, the "big turbo" has A LOT bigger pad in the front... This big pad now makes too much friction in the front, compared to the rear, maybe?

Also my car seems to wear out the front pads (OEM) about twice as fast as the rear. Normal?

Just wanted to ask if someone has tweaked this, before I go experimenting my self...
Old 09-06-2004, 04:09 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

wont theses pads produce more wear on the rotors or have you guys already upgraded them too?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:47 PM
DelMar951
Intermediate

I've had the green pads on my '87 951 for a few years, about 15k miles. I found the stopping power dramatically increased over the Repco pads that were on before. The downside is they have been hard on the rotors. I had solid stock ones that warped right away. I went to drilled ones, they warped pretty quickly, then had them resurfaced, and changed my braking habits to preserve the rotors.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Nico
Instructor

So... I took the car for a ride today. Some 150miles or so. The pads are now seated a little better.
The balance is now better, allthough still maybe a little more front balanced compared with the OEM. But the nose doesn't dive that much anymore, it's definitely better.
The braking power is enourmous compared with the stock, at least in the normal temperature range. Haven't tried to really heat up the brakes yet, so let's see what happens at the track next time...

I guess nobody had answers to my questions above, so I go experimenting with the other pads later... I will share the results...
Old 09-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nico,
EBC Green is a wrong choice ! I have seen them melted under 951. If you bought them from a guy who is active on the finnish 944 site, i suppose you can change them to EBC Red, which is better choice for 951. If you don't use your car at track, you might manage with Greens.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:28 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Interesting I have used mine on and off track (not racing) for a while maybe I am not trying hard enough!
The ones I have are V4. I am not sure how these differ from earlier versions, At silverstone on a very hot day on slicks they did cause some cracking in my discs, i will probably try reds next to compare.

Tony
Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 AM
951power

I`ve been using green stuff the last years on my na , and these where very good.
However on the Turbo I uppgraded to red`s in the front and green back. The reds may need a bit higher temp to function properly. But when warm, the braking power is excellent.
This option is also good for track days .
Ofcousre you`l need to change your fluid as well, when going for high temp pads. No good when fluid boils before pads reaches work temp.

This is what they told me, when I asked about The ebc brakes:

Green stuff: kevlar pad. They say this one should be "kind" on rotors and give good braking capabilitys from cold. Reduce temperature in rotors with 212 - 302 F
Stable up to 1202 F

Red stuff: Semi metal pad . Friction approx 0,4 stable up to 1382 F .

yellow stuff : , this is more suitable for racing as it needs warming up to function properly.
stable up to 1652 F , friction 0,42 . they say this is a very good pad for short track racing 20-30 laps
Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Nico
Instructor

Long time no see...

So mr.951power has done something I had in mind.
Please tell me more, how does the car handle? Do you get rear brake lock up, before the fronts...ever? What kind of readings do you get, when you dyno the brakes. Basically I want to know how much more (if any) braking power do you have in the front, compared with the rear, when cold?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

I had the Greenstuf pads on my 86 951. Worked great on the street, but would fade away in a 20 minute track session. Changed to Pagid Orange up front and greenstuf in the rear. Balance is good. Greenstuf just wasn't up to the track duty.

Quick Reply: Red stuff? Green stuff?