Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

In a bind...944 cat-back for sale, TX.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Adam H
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit. . . My MO is/was ready to go out.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:38 PM
makenzie71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by icat
Quick "surf" around the internet reveals that the 951 Cat Back will NOT fit a 944. Also noted that the 924S would use a different cat back as well.

Links? I've had several people tell me that the routing is the same, but with a different muffler and exhaust flange (different size tubing). You're not confusing "won't fit" with "different muffler/flange", are you? Of course they have a different muffler and tubing/flange size but I can't see the undercarriage of the 951 and 944, and even the 924, being different. Cardomain even has a page for a 944 that has a Lindsey 951 catback on it. All that has to be the same is the routing...the flange, tubing size, and muffler don't mean anything...

(...being repeatative, sorry...)
Old 09-02-2004, 07:31 PM
icat
Race Car

Different part numbers on every site I looked at - SFR, Pargon, Performance...
Different price as well.
This is a pretty close knit community and if the parts were interchangable and only the price was different, we would have heard about it by now. What I mean by that is the vendors who generally sell the 951 and 944 cat backs would have a hard time justifying the price difference - and being the cheap scapes we all are, we would all be running 944 cat backs on 951's by now. I would venture that the flange difference would not equate to a $100 difference in price - the 944 series being less expensive even when using the same size tubing. My statement of "not fitting" is based on those observations.
Now, having said that - I realize you are attempting to enter a new market and I applaud your efforts. But it seems to me that you really need to get hold of a cat back from a stock 944, a 951, and maybe even a 924S - and then create your wares. I'm fairly certain you could get these for free from Rennlisters if you're will to pay the shipping - not much of a market for used exhaust systems if you know what I mean. After which I might suggest you test fit before offering the items for sale.
I'll also add - as I mentioned before - that there are several approved Rennlist vendors already offering these items for sale. Some, like the SFR cat back on my 951, are truely works of art. Price for many 944 and 951 owners is not that great of an issue as we routinely drop big bucks on some of the dumbest things - me included (like a splitter that I'm pretty sure my new driveway will destroy first time out). But many items are extremly high quality - like the 951 Cat Back from SFR which generally be found for $700 or less and will last a lifetime. There are quite a few owners running these exhausts and I would venture to say they did not give price anything more than a second glance.
I'm trying to be PC here and not offend anyone, but I would think the market for inexpensive systems would be filled by local muffler shops that can fabricate anything on their computerized benders. Point being is I think the best market is for the higher end units - those that are polished stainless steel, etc...
Old 09-05-2004, 12:03 AM
makenzie71
Intermediate

icat...thanks. I have, though, been told by two more people that the 944 and 951 catbacks follow the same routing. I'm currently trying to get some more opinions and maybe a picture or two. If I can stumble across one for reletively cheap I will mount it myself and post a shot or two. Even if it doesn't fit I'll use it as a template.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
makenzie71
Intermediate

haven't proven anything yet so I'm just going to offer it for the 944 right now. I just want to sell one.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Why should we buy from a non-member who can't afford to pay shipping on existing orders?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by makenzie71
Well...I run a company called Shattered Glass Works. I make headers and exhaust systems for various cars. Well, it's my girl's birthday and I spent more money than I should have on her and I don't have the money to ship out a couple orders on time...and my orders have been VERY delayed lately so I need to get these out or I promised a refund. So...lol...I'm in a bind.
Wtf?

Quick Reply: In a bind...944 cat-back for sale, TX.