Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cant break 15sec quarter mile!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:38 PM
87uk944t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats 3 or 4 times that i have been over a year, so thats 15 runs in a year!!
That link should have been www.crailthrash.co.uk click times then select august 1st edzell and look for me Graeme Mearns
Old 08-29-2004, 07:48 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I find that the fastest get aways take a bit of clutch slipping (riding) to keep the revs up until the car is fully into its flow then dump it. Talking of dumping it have you checked your BOV? Just a thought.
Obviously the other thing is gearchange speed, most people think their changes are quick until they see a pro change gear. It is also possible you are changing gear a bit late (after your powerband is tailing off. Were the Guru chips bought before the SFR Turbo?) I think the first step would be to get the car on a dyno and get a true reflection of where the power is cos you should be whipping those boys hides!!!! And impressing the Babes!!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billgot
Jeremy, man going from that to a 951 must of made you sick.Did you just need something different or do you still have that machine?
I drag raced 2 times a week for years and the mustang was fun but I owned one for 13 years so it just got old. I parted the car out about two years ago. Ironically, I have my old motor back and I'm putting it in my friend's car with a blower. That car was very scary over 130 (had the sheetmetal on the hood latch rip and open on the track) and I had to throw an anchor out the window to stop. It also had more body roll then my mother in law. My car was a pain to drive to work so I bought the 951 so I could have some fun on the road courses again and still have a fun car to drive to work. Now that I've modded the 951 more then I wanted to, I'm looking for an E46M but will settle for the right 36. There's something to be said about having the ability to turn, stop, and accelerate in the same car.......

I build about 6 cars a year for friends and family. I tell everyone if you want nut twisting, tire frying speed..... buy american, if you want to go fast.... buy german.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 PM
87uk944t
Racer

Tommo i am taking car to 6-7k in every gear so maybe am changing too late as my shimmed wastegate is probably not holding boost till then (no time to look at gauge!!!) my bov is a lindsey racing one and isnt all that old so hopefull it isnt that, i reckon that i am pretty swift at the old gear changes so i dont think that there is a problem there, the guru chips were purchased after the turbo but like i said i didnt get right ones and had idle issues caused by venturi tube at the time so was waiting to get that sorted out before i got back in contact with Danno, i think that you are right about the dyno tho it should definetly be my next step
Old 08-29-2004, 08:44 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

im going with practice and probably your clutch n your CVs.i say that because i had the same time a few months ago.15.5@97mph...my mods were:guru chips/wastegate,straight pipe,3" exhaust,hks bov,LBE,cone intake..all w/ 3/4 tank of gas..i got a 2.8 60ft....i need new tires,new CLUTCH and PRACTICE...but that was just a fun run w/my buddies for the first time...i also did change my plugs at that time....i was knockin big time(very stupid of me)....practice makes perfect
Old 08-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Eyal Believe what you want, I'm not here to impress you. All my times were on the track, not from some g-tech.

Here's what my mustang consisted of 8 years ago......

Built 306 W/ filled block, blueprinted, lightened, and balanced, 10.8 compression and a few other trix. Fox lake ported Trick Flow heads, Ported edelbrock upper and lower, 75mm TB & mass air, Comp Cams 228 @ .50 W/ 544 lift, 110 degree lobe separation, 1.7RR, 30lb injectors, long tube headers, lightend flywheel, center force clutch, tremec 3550 trans, 3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, Subs, ADJ pinon angle, 150 to 200 HP N2O, Mickey thompson 26x10 slicks, and a few other goodies. The car pulled both front wheels with ease.......So what do you think it ran? What HP do you think this motor made?Anyone that actually know something about cars, or mustang's, won't dispute these times.
Here's a breakdown of some of my times when I raced mustangs way back in the day.
mustang? not the 951... Wow... so you've eared yourself one credit for calling me a dumbass, expires 1-20-2006
~Eyal
Old 08-29-2004, 11:21 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i ran the 1/4 mile about a coupel of months ago but i had horrible starts like i mean embrassing because my clutch was giving out but i still managed a 14.7@100mph I know i can get better times now soon as i get this dam oil leak fixed. I also ran the car untuned and not at full boost etc... I basically did it because friends wanted me to so i said what the hell. I will be heading out there again soon because i have a free pass to race. I will be sure to post the vid like last time.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:22 PM
daniel951
Race Car

2.3ft times are pretty good considering i was doing 3.0sec LOL

also my car was untuned wasn't running 18lbs of boost and the ground was a little damp from the rain.

Last edited by daniel951; 08-30-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:36 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Very Odd.....

Relativly stock.... I was seeing 2.4 60 ft times, 94 traps, with 13.5 E.T.'s.
Mild mods.... I was seeing 2.0 60 ft times, 114 traps, with 12.0 E.T.'s.
Even more mods.. 1.6 60 ft times, 132 traps, with 10.2 E.T.'s.
i thought most 13 second runs were in the 105 traps speed range? am i off base here? i'm not calling bs or anything, that's just what i was told before and believed.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:40 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont mean to call bull****, but with a 2.3 60ft and 105mph trap I did a 14.2. Take it for what is worth. I have the slip if anyone wants to see...
Old 08-30-2004, 03:03 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I second the suggestion to go to a dyno. Your trap speed may be telling you that you are low on power for some reason.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsonnen
You need to learn how to launch better.....a stock 951 should be in the 14's!!

Factory claims 13.5's in 1/4 mile

A magazine test the times and got somwhere about 13.7 on a stock car......... weird
Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Usually when I dump the clutch I get wheelspin through 1st gear, and mostly 2nd unless I let the rpms drop enough to I know where the tires stop spinning so hard. Must be because I don't have an LSD.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:45 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it could be your clutch or could be the track either way you are obviously slipping somewhere. A 2.3 60ft isint the greatest but, in a 951 it ain't that bad. Your trap's are good for low 14's to high 13's with a decent set of tires and a good driver. I would like to know after all your mods.....why the heck you aren't trapping more than that. Forget your time trap tell's hp....and with your mods you should have plenty. I was trapping 91mph stock! I ran a 14.01@99mph with a 2.3 60ft. My best 60ft to date on street tires is 2.1.

The reason I say it might not be your clutch and might be the track is that's what happened to me. I could hook fine leaving the line and through second ....but, when I went to shift to third I would start to slip....then shift into 3rd back on the gas and it was all over the place...rev's jumping like crazy....I was on and off the throttle for the rest of the 1/4 mile this happened 10+ times in a row!

I thought ****...my clutch is slipping it's obviously gone. Then after reserching some on the street it was fine.

The track alot of time's put down special compound's in the first 330ft of the track to help promote tracktion and help with the car's that run alot of hp and are just trying to get the power to the ground. Towards the end of the track though there is nothing...so that's why I was slipping so badly at the tail end of the track.

They have seen recovered the entire 1/4 and redone the entire area. I haven't been back since I want to wait until my new turbo get's on.

It is true our car's aren't ment for the 1/4 mile but, you can force it if you don't care about breaking stuff. That's how magazine companies were getting 13's outta stock 951's back in the 80's.

So there is obviously a problem somewhere cause you are way down on power. Get that thing to the dyno and get it properly tuned for the boost you are running. Then run some test's on your clutch and get a little better at leaving the line. With your mods you should be atleast all over a 13sec timeslip with a 100+mph trap.

For someone who asked earlier about 105mph traps good for 13's.....it doesn't work that way. There is no general rule when it comes to trap's and time's. It depend's on the plateform(i.e. the car) the setup, the driver, the suspension, the gear's,ect.ect. I could go on forever. I have seen car's trap 105 and run low 14's and then I have seen car's trap 105mph and run low 13's.

I hope atleast some of this help's your cause. Let us know what's up with the tunning and hp issue and wither or not the slippage problem was indeed the clutch.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant run that sfr turbo with the factory wastegate, man. That turbo is probably opening up the gate at 3500 rev's and heating up the air just to make 13 psi while its cracked open. Those wastegates dont hold **** - it doesn't matter what you shim it with, you can jam a 2x4 in there - its opening.

Quick Reply: Cant break 15sec quarter mile!!