Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial WG doesn't fit - need advice : UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:45 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
OK, maybe I missed seeing a factory slip joint somewhere along the discharge pipe. I do know that the far end of that pipe is welded solidly to the exhaust. As you can see from the photo above, the discharge pipe really needs to slide backwards about 1/2" for the Tial to fit and it can only do that if there is adjustability in the length of the discharge pipe. I'll have another go at it this weekend. Thanks again for the pointers!
The discharge pipe is bolted on with 2 bolts the pipe is about 18" long and i usually take it off still attached to the wastegate.

I will try to dig out some pics later on tonight. But its a very obvious joint..
Old 08-27-2004, 12:04 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for clarifacation, the Tial is not installed in the orentation of your picture. The aluminum head will be up when installed on the car
Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Just for clarifacation, the Tial is not installed in the orentation of your picture. The aluminum head will be up when installed on the car

Well its just a pic of the two wastegates together, i dont think that has any relevance. The photo shows the correct comparison between the faces of the old and the new.....
Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I see David's point though. Jake, the diaphram is on top, and the side vacuum port on the wastegate will be towards the front of the car. Just be patient, and like everyone has said, Keep everything loose until you get all the bolts started.

You could resort to what I did - sell and ship your original wastegate. Then the Tial HAS to go in.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Right, I understand the part about how the Tial is supposed to be oriented in the car because I have already tried fitting it in there and it's clear what the orientation must be.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
Well its just a pic of the two wastegates together, i dont think that has any relevance. The photo shows the correct comparison between the faces of the old and the new.....
I just wanted him to know for sure, as simple oversights usually kick my butt.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:48 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Clearly Jake the issue lies with this welded on pipe. If you can check that first then you will have to make a desision on what to do. I have PET at home (as do many others) i can upload the exhaust diagram as a pic for you to check.

As has ben suggested earlier you might have to get the pipe cut and welded back on, i just dont understand why its like that....
Old 08-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried again this afternoon. It's still a no go.

First, I did discover that previously I had completely missed seeing the slip joint in the discharge pipe. I had never seen it mentioned in any Tial installation discussion, so it never even occurred to me to look for it.

I undid the slip joint and with the discharge pipe loosened up, I was able to close up about 1/4 inch of the 1/2 inch misalignment by moving things around some more. However, there's still another 1/4 inch of misalignment that I can't close up.

Here's what the situtation is now:

I've noted the crossover and discharge pipes for reference. You can see that the mounting holes in the Tial adapter plate still don't line up with the flange holes on the crossover pipe. The WG and discharge pipe need to slide to the right some more, but there's no more room left to move because the WG is now banging into the torque tube. Also I can't bring the crossover pipe flange into alignment because it only wants to twist away from the adapter plate.

Bottom line: I still don't see how to fit this thing unless I get a custom pipe made up. Does anybody have any more ideas?
Old 08-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Jake,

I was under the assumption that the Tial is a direct bolt on for the 2 piece x-over 951s as well.
Have you tried PMing MySwiss?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:08 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you got both of the slip joints loose ??
Old 08-28-2004, 07:29 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Try installing the cross-over pipe first with bolts loose not tight so later if you need to turn it a bit you can.Then do the discharge pipe.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was under the assumption that the Tial is a direct bolt on for the 2 piece x-over 951s as well.
Have you tried PMing MySwiss?
Yes. He thought my crossover pipe might not be stock, but in fact it is.

Have you got both of the slip joints loose ??
There's one slip joint on the crossover pipe and one on the discharge pipe. I have both of them loose.

Try installing the cross-over pipe first with bolts loose not tight so later if you need to turn it a bit you can.Then do the discharge pipe.
Yes, I tried that but it still doesn't help.

More ideas, anyone?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like you've got the bolts on the discharge pipe snugged all the way up. I had to start all the bolts before I could begin tightening anything. Initially I was right where you are there. You are so close...

I wish I could offer better words of encouragement. With both slip joints loose, back off the bolts on the discharge side and try again. IIRC, I had to twist the discharge side several degrees from the stock orientation.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got a couple of great shots of a TiAL 38 installed - I can't seem to upload them

No matter what I do to resize the pics the upload screen says that I've exceeded the max upload size. I can mail them to you directly if you like.

Jake, I installed mine with the dump tube attached (tight) to the WG. I slipped it into the cat section and rotated the WG. With the short elbow installed loosely in place, I worked the WG and short elbow to where the flange bolts lined up. The key issue is whether you have the WG clocked correctly. Let me know if you'd like to see my pics.

Vic
Old 08-28-2004, 09:59 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Jake can you post a picture of what you have where the waste gate ties into the cross over pipe?

Quick Reply: Tial WG doesn't fit - need advice : UPDATE