Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Putting our most famous vendors to the test

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:20 PM
T-Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting our most famous vendors to the test

My discovery of the biggest 951 aftermarket companies....

Hi everyone, as some of you might haven't known I put the three most popular Porsche 951 tuners to the test. Before I begin I am not endorsed by any of the following companies, I pay the same price as you or any regular person.

In my experiment I purchased:

Vitesse Chips from John at Vitesse Racing:

Accuboost/WG Shims and 3bar FPR from Danno at Guru Racing:

Boost Gauge and Gauge Panel from Dave at Lindsey Racing:

Vitesse Racing:
John has great and fast customer service, he's very helpfull and even tended to my needs while he was on vacation. I have yet to install the end product due to another tuner's error, but John comes through. There was a slight error with USPS and the address however John and I cleared it up as it was both out of our hands.

Vitesse Recieves: 9/10

Guru Racing:
Danno knows alot about the 951 he's very intelligent, however his business skills and long pauses in between emails are pathetic. I ordered a Accuboost, WG Shims and 3 bar fpr. Danno said in his previous emails that he's waiting for 3 bar fpr and backed up on parts. Weeks went by without any responses to my emails, the customer service was below par. Finally over a month later I recieve my Accuboost and WG Shims, and no 3 bar fpr. Now Danno believes I didn't order a 3bar FPR? Danno might need some more employee's.

Guru Recieves: 4/10

Lindsey Racing:
Dave at Lindsey is how other tuners who lack in the customer service department should look up to. Quick shipping, and overall great business practice. No complaints from Lindsey Racing..

Lindsey Recieves: 9/10
Old 08-20-2004, 02:28 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and terry have become pretty good friends and we have been decided together what his first mods should be. After alot of long talks terry finally bought the bullet and purchased things from all three vendor's. It has to be said that both terry and I are very very fond of danno. Danno helped me out on my Hg issue. So this is by no means a attack on him personally in any way shape or form. He knows his ****. It also has to be said that the other vendors came through without problem's. John had some problem with shipping which was not his fault and still got it fixed and took care of everything. Dave at lindsey....well you all know how I feel about lindsey they ****ing rock.

The worst of it is it has now been 5 weeks since all these were ordered and now because terry doesnt have his addjustable fpr he basically has nothing. The chips were mapped out custom for everything he was ordering....so since he is missing one part the rest of them basically don't do him any good. He needs the fpr for the boost he is going to run and I hope all of this get's resolved soon. He just want's his part's so he can feed the very well known boost addiction we all suffer from. Terry keep up posted on your progress and ofcourse dyno chart's baby.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:11 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guru Racing:
Guru 18psi chips, Wastegate, FPR, Reliaboost
Ordered april 8th
First item arrived june 11th
Last item arrived july 8th
He made promises regarding delivery/shipping dates that he did not keep.
Products seem to be good. Dyno will show how good

Lindsey
Gauge plate, CBV, SS brake lines, Vacuum lines, brake pads.
Items are shipped immediately. Arrives in Norway within 7-10 days; exactly as promised.
I made a mistake and ordered to many brake pads, Dave sends me a mail to inform me that I've ordered enough for two cars. Excellent customer service.
E-mail asking about installation was answered within 45 minutes.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Vitesse needs to learn how to ship products properly. Forget using USPS, UPS is the only way to go.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:19 PM
alexands
Pro

Dave at Lindsey is a good guy. Got me some replacements parts for my Kokeln moly arms when they shipped me the wrong pieces. Fast shipping, great prices, great products you can't get elsewhere (exhasut, etc..), and knowledgeable and friendly. Great website too! It's sorta like the Sears catalog to me when I was a kid. Spend all my hours going through it figuring what I want for Xmas.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:54 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call Paragon. They stock the 3 bar fpr.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a 3 bar FPR in the classifieds that might still be available here:
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USPS works better than UPS here, and im in Dubai!!! that's over 5,000 miles here

Yes, Lindsey e-mail responses are terrific, with complete details on everything i asked about (still didn't purchase anything due to the fact that insurance, vehicle registeration and new tires held me back quite a lot)

Guru, well i did get heaps and heaps of info on everything i asked for. Time isn't SO bad (with me) regarding replies to e-mails (sometimes it was the same day, other times were days, and days). But they KNOW what they are doing, no matter how wild/crazy it is

Can't REALLY comment in Vitesse, since i asked a few questions regarding chips. They are more into big things like MAPS, Turbos etc, unlike lindsey who has heaps and heaps of products (mostly their own which is impressive).
Old 08-20-2004, 04:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by badass951
Vitesse needs to learn how to ship products properly. Forget using USPS, UPS is the only way to go.
When shipping to Canada, our customers prefer USPS as there is no clearance charge as there is by UPS or FedEx.. But thank you for the advise!!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:33 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

USPS is best for us over here in Norway too.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:49 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave at Lindsey basically ignored my repeating attempts at trying to buy a J-pipe and filter off him, turned me off for good. Got to give props top Tim at SFR, treated me with respect, no bull****, custon fab work, answers emails and follows up.

Everyones experience will be different but most people only need to be messed around once to black list a vendor.

Props to John, nothing but good comms and honesty from him.......
Old 08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always prefer usps over ups as well. UPS does stupid things like not leave packages at my apartment office, when they usually do. Priority mail is usually quicker too
Old 08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What I am amazed by is it seems a wide spectrum of people have had good and bad experiences with all the tuners. I would love to say that they all kinda euall out in the end.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:01 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Danno at Guru Racing has the best prodect's period. It might arrive a bit late, but trust me it's worth the wait. I bought the guru 364 kit from him and let me tell you that this kit rocks. The car became a beast.

I give Danno a 9/10
Old 08-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Danno was really helpfull to me about 2 years ago when I ordered the chip upgrade kit.. he sent it to Skip for me in time to have it installed when I went to WA for a dyno day, thereby saving me about $50+. That was awsome. Great value from Danno imho, but it seems whomever is the most enthusiastic about thier product at any given time is the one to buy from. Who knows one day Vitesse may have personal problems and cause customer service to plummet.. it happens, they are all only human. I have faith in these guys as long as they are honest and don't bull**** when it comes to having parts in stock and delivery times.

UPS is only good if you live in the States. They rape forgeiners on brokerage fees!!!
UPS = $90 customs FLAT RATE whether your order is $5 or $100.
USPS/Purolator = under $70 in a $750 order!!

Quick Reply: Putting our most famous vendors to the test