Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2. Which of all the chips you have tried spool quicker and have more low end get up and go? I am a green driver on a 14 turn track, which often puts me in the situation of wanting low end torque at certain points, in stead of having to downshift and then seconds later upshift. BEST LOW END AND SPOOL?
I think there is a limit that you can achieve playing with advanced timing on chips. Biggest improvement to low end spool is in the wastegate, not the chips. Shimming the wastegate certainly helped my low end spool. A TiAl or Guru wastegate would likely improve it more, as would a cat bypass.

The Guru chips are certainly more responsive than the APE stage 2 chips at the low end. I have the latest version 18 psi chips (I think, its hard to track versions with the Guru chips, even for stock cars), but pay a price for that responsiveness with slight but annoying part-throttle stumble. Car is in excellent tune and completely stock except for Guru chip package (chips, 3 bar FPR, reliaboost, shimmed wastegate.)
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 PM
2+2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jermey, can you substantiate your assertions that TT is the original developer of gururacing's chips? I find your assertion as to the origins of gururacing's chips extremely unlikely since Danno and Travis developed their MAP and chips about 2 years ago and posted their progress on this board. I also seem to recall that during this time, TT was posting couple questions about the 951 here and there which seemed to indicate that he did not have intimate knowledge of 951s at that time frame. TT may possibly have "taught" Danno about "burning" chips with the fuel and timing maps as he is apparently an electronics genius. However, that is very different than developing the chips as the chips are only as good as the content in them. If you know some facts, or if facts are in some other thread, let me know. Otherwise, may I suggest qualifying your assertions so that they don't sound like facts.....there is enough misinformation on these boards. I have not been on here for a while so I dont know, maybe the parties came clean as to their relationship.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2+2
If you know some facts, or if facts are in some other thread, let me know. Otherwise, may I suggest qualifying your assertions so that they don't sound like facts.....there is enough misinformation on these boards. I have not been on here for a while so I dont know, maybe the parties came clean as to their relationship.
100% positive. I do have pretty detailed knowledge of the "original developer" of the chips and it is TT. Danno and Travis made it seem that was but that wasn't the case. Do a search on the thread title "Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce " and read page six.

This isn't (or shouldn't be) a slam Guru or Danno thread so if you want some specific information regarding my experiences, PM me and I can give you details. The sole purpose of my posts was to enlighten the board of my experiences as well as share some real world comparisons between chips installed in an "average" car. Guru offers some good options for some people but so does Vitesse. To each his own.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Does Steve R still do chips???
Old 08-20-2004, 10:56 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Also was "This virtually stock car with a 26/6 not an 8, made 285 ft/lbs. " at the 15.5psi you mentioned?? If so that is close to if not a little less then GURU 15psi chips make. And the 18psi are in the area of 330hp/360tq. The hp would be much more with a NON stock turbo that could hold the 18psi to redline.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:01 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
And the 18psi are in the area of 330hp/360tq
Are talking about the K26/6?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Blueman33
Pro

A stock 26/6 with no other mods making 330 hp? That seems way too high.

Guru Racing website states 261 hp for the chips with a MAP kit. So 230 RWHP for the chips would be more reasonable, which is 40ish more hp than stock chip, and would leave 31 hp for the MAP to contribute.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
dr pepper
Instructor

I know a lot of people want instant results from chips. But you have to take into account that "no 2 cars are exactly the same" when it comes to air-fuel ratios. So some chips (regardless of what brand they are) will work well on some cars but not on others.

You really have to have a fuel controller/engine management along with data logging software to see what is good for your car...
Old 08-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Also was "This virtually stock car with a 26/6 not an 8, made 285 ft/lbs. " at the 15.5psi you mentioned?? If so that is close to if not a little less then GURU 15psi chips make. And the 18psi are in the area of 330hp/360tq. The hp would be much more with a NON stock turbo that could hold the 18psi to redline.
Steve R stopped doing chips. I spoke with him about 8 months ago and he was dumping his inventory as well as his chip burner and software. He offered it to me for a really good price IIRC.

Todd, I'm not sure where you got the 330 HP and 360 Tq figures for a 26/6 at any boost level from but they're quite a bit high. I dyno tested the Guru chips and they were lagging behind a bit but were still ahead of the APE's and welts. I have yet to see (with my own eyes) a AFM car with a stock exhaust, a 26/6, stock FPR, and a W/G upgrade that makes upwards of 280 TQ on a dynojet but I'm sure it's out there. I've seen 26/8's do this with ease.

You know guys, I don't want this to turn into a bash thread. Guru offers some product that really suit some people at rock bottom prices. If this was a thread about deciding between APE stage 1,2,or 3........ 50 guys would have stepped up and recommended buying guru chips. In this case, the Vitesse/TT AFM chips are a fairly new offering and there only two guys running them. I am the only guy (that I know) that dynoed several chips and will offer my opinion to less informed listers. On my car Vitesse was the winner. I sold my Guru chips, FPR, and LBE for $150 to a local guy who is happy with the chips and the deal he received. His car also runs pretty good.

For someone who wants to have unlimited custom burns, good HP, and can live with a few smaller issues (shipping, hesitations, exhaust pops) for about $100 less, Guru is the way to go. If you want great drivability, service, and performance out of the box with no extras (reliaboost,FPR) for a few more bucks then buy the Vitesse. If I was 10 years younger and on a limited budget, I'd probably chose the Guru chips instead os vitesse. I would probably have a reliaboost instead of my AVCR (on my other car), I would probably have a guru W/G instead of a tial, and I would probably have a set of Turbo twists instead of my CCWs'. Since I'm not, I have no fears of dropping extra cash for a product that mirrors stock (or better drivability) and gives great HP. The car that has these mods are in NJ right now and anyone in the area is more then welcome to check out the car to verify what was done and give it a seat of the pants verification. It's my Dad's car now (who doesn't post or read the list) but I know he's looking to meet up with a few local guys for cruises. In fact, if anyone wants to lend a set of guru chips (or DME box with them installed) I'll set up a dyno session in NJ as I'm hoping to ship him a test pipe soon.

I've received quite a few PM's regarding the Vitesse stuff and I'll get back with each of you individually. It does seem that quite a few of you guys are a bit pissed off because someone is "claiming" that another chip set made more HP and had better drivability then what's in your car or because Danno is a "good guy". I just answered questions that were directed towards me specifically. Personnally, I don't get on line asking questions about my car because I'm pretty good at figuring out my own stuff and many of the guys' cars that live in this neck of the woods so I'm going to tell it like I see it and not worry about someone being pissed off at me and not answering some questions for me about a headgasket or reference sensor down the road.

Offering experiences, results, and satisfaction levels........ Isn't that what this web forum's for?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Offering experiences, results, and satisfaction levels........ Isn't that what this web forum's for?
Yes,
Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 PM
2+2
Pro

Jeremey, I think as one of the few people to have Vitesse chips, your opinions and experience is very valuable on this forum. Same goes for your exepriences with gururacing products. I just dont think your conclusion as fact that TT provided the original chips is appropriate. As stated in the post your pointed to, TT's comments only establish that TT and Danno had some type of relationship. As to what that was, only the two know. Sharing of your experience is fine, and you can even speculate if you would like, but I don't think you should be making statements as fact when we really dont know. Remember that what you say is a testament to yourself.
PS. I am happy for you that you got your/dad's care sorted and it is running well.

Edit to correct use of double negative.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

2+2,

You're right, I never did clarify the relationship and I'd prefer to keep that pissing match dead and off this thread. I'll PM you to clear up any "speculation" and give you the facts.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for excellent info, Jeremy. When I ordered my chips, I hadn't heard about the Vitesse chipset so I went with the flavor of the day which was the Guru chipset. It took forever to arrive, as did the wastegate. I'm not sure how the car performs, but it feels much quicker than stock. I'm going to have the car dynoed soon, dynoshops are few and far between here in Norway, but I'm trying to work something out. Depending on the a/f curves, I may ask Danno for a reburn. If the curves are OK, I'll compare them with your results. If TT's chips are much better performers, I'll get them instead, although I'm having a hard time believing that the differences will be big.

Guru seems to have some issues with keeping his promises, and I think this will hurt his business in the long run. I do believe he makes great products, and I was considering his MAP-kit, but when time comes for major upgrades, I see myself doing business with either Lindsey or Vitesse.

Quick Reply: 15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?