Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard nothing but great things from Guru 18psi chip owners.
Definatley upgrade the wastegate too, Guru sells the wastegates as well (email Dan, I haven't seen it yet on the site). I'm saving up for those chips, they should be in my car soon
Old 08-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeremy ... I did upgrade to the V8.0 GURU 15 psi chips from the Weltmeister chips and am very happy with the results. My car does move ...... even with a 1988 used wastegate that I got from Chris White. I have not shimmed the wastegate yet! I am looking at getting the original WG rebuilt in the near future.

Powerwerks does sell the GURU chips as well and are fast and friendly ... ask for Pete! 603-431-3112.

I did spend a bit of time and money on the basics. I had ALL hoses replaced!!! I replaced the cap, roter and wires, replaced the pos/neg battery cables, cleaned the factory injectors, replaced the o rings, replaced the exhaust gaskets and tera-cleaned the fuel system .... oh, and used the 3 bar FPR that came with the kit and a LBE.

People that have driven my car, including 951 PCA track racers (came in 1st on every race he entered), PCA-UCR driver instructors, 993TT drivers etc and all said that the car is officially dangerous!!! Spend the time and effort on the basics and it is amazing how much more ***** the car has.

Again, YMMV and opinions will vary ... I speak from my experiances!

Jaak Lepson
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaak: Now that's what i am talking about!!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Also, there is no mention of an FPR being included with the Vitesse kit - I assume this is still needed. Are others running the Vitesse chips with a similar stock set-up as I intend to run - just an accuboost and modified wastegate? Do the vitesse chips have a psi cut-off like the Gurus (i.e. 15 or 18)? Essentially, I am trying to determine if there are any advantages to going with one or the other based on my intended set-up. Thanks -

Jeremy
Maybe I can help a bit here. As far as I know I'm the only one to run (and dyno) APE, Welts, Guru, and Vitesse chips on the same car. The Vitesse chips made 15 RWHP more than ANY of the others on the same car. The car was dead stock with the exception of the chips, a 38 tial and a MBC set at 15.5 psi. This includes a stock cat, FPR, and AFM.

Vitesse's has a specific chip for the AFM cars which was developed by lister TT, the original developer of the guru chips (hence the student/teacher comment earlier), and have been revised for max performance. As far as the FPR goes, the Vitesse/TT AFM chips are designed to run the stock FPR unless you start cranking up the boost or changing parts. The chips are programmed for several different combinations which are adjusted using the FQS. Here are the adjustments for the AFM chips.

0 - Stock FPR, APE jetted banjo bolt or LBE w/stock WG.
1 - 3 bar FPR, shimmed or aftermarket WG 15-16psi boost.
2 - 3 bar FPR, shimmed or aftermarket WG 15-16psi boost, slightly richer mixture.
3 - FPR set to 46+psi, shimmed or aftermarket WG, 15-18psi boost.

The nice thing about thse chips is that you don't need to fire them back for a re burn if you start changing WG's or want to crank up the boost. FQS positions 4,5,6, &7 also serve a purpose as well. Drivability is awesome with these chips (no popping, sputtering, hesitations, bucking, cold start issues) and the support is top notch (not that I've needed it with these chips). Good luck in making your decision and let me know if you need specific #'s or a more in depth comparison.

Anyone need a set of APE or Welt chips?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by rage2
Nothing is invincible. I saw a 944 turbo yesterday with Vitesse upgrades, head was off because it blew a head gasket. Don't know the details on what happened, I stopped by real quick and saw it by my car.
But.... was it a software problem or operator error ( running more boost than is recomended) ?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

And at the risk of jumping the gun...TT keeps improving them.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:13 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

One question, why buy 18psi chips and run them at 16psi???
Old 08-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Jeremy Himsel - yours is the post that I have been hoping for - it explains a lot of history. Thanks to all. I didn't realize the chips were upgradeable using the FQS - a very important point. Is it correct that TT is still working with Vitesse Racing in improving these chips? Also, is there any difference b/w using the accuboost rather than an LBE with the FQS?

I have exchanged several emails with Vitesse Racing today and I am very impressed by their customer service - exactly as claimed in posts all over the boards. -

Jeremy
Old 08-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Jeremy Himsel - yours is the post that I have been hoping for - thanks to all. Is it correct that TT is still working with Vitesse Racing in improving these chips? Also, is there any difference b/w using the accuboost rather than an LBE with the FQS?

Jeremy
TT and Vitesse are still together on this one. John (Vitesse) is not known for screwing people so I expect this "partnership" will be long lasting. I don't believe there is much of a difference with the LBE and accuboost when using these chips. Tell John I sent you and he'll charge you an additional 25% .
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I also heard great things with Guru
Old 08-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
I also heard great things with Guru
Price, Service, or Performance? I think what he's looking for is actual experience with chips. In my experience, Guru has one out of three. You'd be surprised in the difference between the two.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:25 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well price wise, used has it. My friend was just looking for chips for a mostly stock 951. Autothority chips all the way, I used them for 5 years with banjo, lbe, mbc + tial...no problems. (never dynoed it, so who knows..maybe I was rolling the dice everytime I jumped in...)

When It came for my second round of chips Guru won, because he custom mapped them for a reasonable price with my future upgrades in mind. I never expected them to hit spot on because he doesnt have the car in his hands. 2nd try 2000 miles from my car and its driveability is awesome. I have a wideband and a SMT6 to perfect it with and thats fine by me. Probably not ok for your normal chip user, but thats understandable.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:52 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Jeremy: So, you would recon Vitesse over Guru?

Did you try the Guru yourself to compare anyone else out there?

By the way Lindsey now make their own chips...i never heard of anyone commenting on it.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

By the way, i just remembered this. Someone here posted their dyno of Viresse chips and a test pipe running on 15 psi boost. The rest of the car is stock, hit 240whp on that car.

While Guru claims that power in their chips ALONE, and has several dynos to prove it. So with a test pipe, expect some more (around 10 or so) from the test pipe......

Again, it is not a matter of 'Who's the best', but all comes down to what you want, so you NEED to contact each one and then you should choose who you want to spend your hard earned money on.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to "flame" in any way, but I have a bit of a problem with statements like "Why go with the student when you can have the teacher". Who is the "teacher" here? I know who is being implied as the "teacher", but what makes this vendor (or any vendor) the authority? Is it satisfied customers? Every vendor has happy customers. I mean, Huntley still has their share of happy customers, even though they went under. At the same time, there are always dissatisfied customers. While the causes range from poor customer service to inferior products, every tuner has had an unhappy customer. Don't be fooled here.

In reality, all tuners are learning by experimenting. No one is the end-all authority, and if anyone were, wouldn't it be Porsche? Did any of the current tuners ever work on the original Motronic code? Seriously, all tuners are learning as they go, hence the updated versions of chips being released constantly. For as much as people wait in anticipation for new versions of chips, it surprises me that more people do not do their own mapping. The cost is no longer extreme with items like the power perfect and cheap WBO2 sensors available. With a little time, you can make a custom map for your car that's more spot on than any guess a tuner could make. It just comes down to how deep you want to delve into tuning.

Anyone who knows me knows that I've been around "teachers" long enough to know that just because their knowledge is older, it does not make it better. Performing experiments is my trade, and I tend not to trust the results of others. It’s probably just my skeptical nature, but my money is typically on myself - hence my interest in tuning for myself. I'm sorry for the ramble. I hesitate on chiming in on volatile topics like these, but I just had to put my pennies in to the pot. For those who disagree, I'll save you the trouble: Mike isn't an expert. He's an idiot. He has no clue what he is talking about.

Quick Reply: 15 or 18 psi Guru chips - opinions?