Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch- How Long?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch- How Long?

I think the throw out bearing in the 87 951 I just bought is going. It is hard to shift into first and reverse when the car is running. When it is not running it shifts fine.

Is changing a clutch on a 87 951 really a 20 hour job? All the labor books say 20 hours but how long does it really take?

Thanks...
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

on your 87 with 2 piece crossover pipe it should take significantly less time than the 86's. there are some write ups at pelican parts and clarks garage i believe. that sounds more like a tranny problem (sychros) then a throwout bearing problem imho. i think if the throwout bearing is going bad, the car will whine when you push in the clutch.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcb928
It is hard to shift into first and reverse when the car is running. When it is not running it shifts fine.
It could be air in the hydraulic clutch system or a master/slave cylinder failing.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:53 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it shift in other gears? if sloppy, could be just the gear lever
Old 08-06-2004, 02:58 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard its the pilot gear that causes this problem, and some mechanic dude agreed that may be the problem. ive had this problem since i got the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:43 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

i did mine awhile back, first ever working on p-cars. it took me 16hrs.
this included the extracting the bearing race out coz the rest desintegrated. looking for a dremel to cut it out, cigarette breaks, lunch etc.
constant wrench turning i think i could do it now in 12-14 hrs.
just remember to replace the rear main while you're at it.
ask me why.........
Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 AM
daniel951
Race Car

it actually can take that long because u can run into a lot of different problems on the way like,leaksy seals that u want to replace,stripped bolts,etc... Also for reference i would put the bolts in baggies and label them so u don't get things mixed up. When i started my clutch job i found i had leaks in front of the engine that would hard to get to so i just ended up pulling the engine since i was alrady there becasue of the clutch job. My car has been down for at least a month now because of time and everything else. She is almost back together just finsihed putting in the transmission and now just finishing putting together the front except i am confused ona couple of things. Does the wires go from the starter to the alternator? Does it matter what side of the wire goes where? I ended up redoing some of the wires since they were burned from previous owner. If anyone can help me with some wiring issues i would appreciate it. Also i am not sure where the other wire connect on the laternator from the battery? Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2004, 04:49 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

The other gears shift fine and first shifts fine when cold but it gets worse as the car warms up. It is always tough to get into reverse exept when the car is not running.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:09 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Hows the transmission fluid? replacement of fluid makes wonders. Also lubricating and asjusting the shift linkage helps BIG time (trust me ). Go with these two first and see how things turn out.

Daniel: Here is a pic of the starter-alternator-battery connections:

If you look at cables 11/15 i BELIEVE that these go to the starter.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:28 AM
daniel951
Race Car

how does thinkgs connect to the alternator? Sorry if these are dumb questions but i had Cpt_koolbeenz hel me take it apart and i was taking something else off at the time so he did this part and i am not sure where this stuff goes. Also there were wires that go inside the compartment that is black with 6 wires (i think) with little sliver things and they can fall out if u are not carefull enough(don't know the name) well one fell out and i am not sure if i put it back in right
Old 08-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Danno
Race Director

" Is changing a clutch on a 87 951 really a 20 hour job? All the labor books say 20 hours but how long does it really take?"

It took me about 20-hours the last time I did a clutch. Next time, I'm gonna pull the engine instead. Should reduce that down to 10-hours or so.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First time around, plan on more than 20. 2nd time around, a little quicker. First clutch job i did on my 86, i spent probably 35 hours or so, but a lot was cleaning oil off everything, and standing around because i didnt know exactly where to go next. 2nd time around was much much quicker. The 2 piece crossover will be a big help, but having the intake off is nice for removing the 2 upper bellhousing bolts and the reference sensors. You will probably strip out a few pressure plate bolts and will have to drill them out, and will fight the tranny for a while. Biggest thing is take your time, clean things up good. If you don't have any, a set of metric racheting wrenches makes things MUCH easier. Also lots of extensions and wobbles.

Hint on the tranny. Drop your exhaust pipe and completely remove your CV axles and get them out of the way, and then instead of trying to unbolt the tranny from the crossmember it hangs from, just drop the whole crossmember attached to the tranny (2 long 17mm bolts). Only thing you have to do is hang the fuel pump assembly out of the way (undo the fuel filter). This makes installing the tranny VERY easy. Otherwise you try and remove the 2 13mm bolts with no clearnance space and it is a pain enough when you remove it, but try getting those bolts back in when you are putting it all together. Big time saver.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
Next time, I'm gonna pull the engine instead. Should reduce that down to 10-hours or so.
Bingo! If you have a one-piece crossover add a good 5 hours of trying to get that SOB back into place.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1 piece crossover pipe is a piece of cake if you just loosen the exhaust header nuts, put everything together loosely, and then after every bolt is in place, tighten everything down. Still not nearly as handy as the 2 piece though. I have pulled mine so many times it hurts to think about it. Adding 5 hours is a bit excessive, i would say to remove and replace maybe 3.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl - everytime I have screwed with a one piece CO it left me thinking, if this were my car this sucker would be GONE GONE GONE!!!

5 hours might be much but is there really a difference between 3 and 5? HellI did the 2 piece cross over in 3 days, took me that long to unwind after every bolt

Quick Reply: Clutch- How Long?