Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

exhaust question and dallas gtg

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 AM
killer miller
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question and dallas gtg

Being the awesome mechanic I am, ive been having trouble putting on my exhaust from lindsey racing. For those that are familliar with the exhaust id like to ask for some pointers. 1.The exhaust is composed of 5 parts (downpipe, piece connecting downpipe to s-shaped pipe, the s shaped*pipe, the muffler, then the tailpipe <--thats in order just to clarify). Did any of you have any trouble connecting the piece that connects the downpipe to the s-shaped pipe to the s-shaped pipe (this sounds ridiculous)? if you did what did you do to solve this problem? 2. ONCE again i feel that my impulsive behavior has landed me into an ever so annoying dilemma. I went ahead and bent the pipe slightly so it would fit. The pipe isnt all the way on yet, about 1/3 on, and i noticed an ever so small crack where some light can get in. Will this cause an obnoxious sound and should i try and fix it? 3. You know since the thing didnt come with directions to install maybe i should just ask for some it's late im allowed to be stupid. So if anyone has directions on how to install the exhaust just let me take a look-see so i can get this mother on.
NOW, on to the dallas get together. Ive been looking forward to such an event for months and now i am wondering if it will ever happen. Maybe we could start planning something for late september or late october and do a pca drivers ed course at texas motor speedway. I'm pretty sure they have a couple going on soon. Feel free to give me a lecture on my inadequate mechanical skills and lets plan to get together.

Henry
Old 07-28-2004, 05:19 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henry I was planning a dallas GTG until my valves bent. Now I am waiting on a new head and once it actually get's on the car and she is running again I will plan a dallas GTG. Unless ofcourse like I said someone else wants to put something on and then I am all for it. I would gladly show up if someone put something together(even if it is before my car is running again)
Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Henry,
If you need help, I'd be glad to do what I can. I wish you still had the car running I would just tell you to bring it to my shop. Yes, if you can see a gap (light) at any place there will be a leak. You shouldn't have to bend the pipe at all. Where are you located? My shop is in Cedar Hill on 67 15 min from Dallas.

My car is still in pieces too but I'm always up for a GTG.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh also forgot to post that I have the very same exhaust system you are trying to install. Even though my car isint running you are more than welcome to come by and see how Dave Lindsey himself installed it. It might be of some help to you. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Pm me if you need it.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys decide to have a drive to TWS, I'm sure a few of us from Houston could meet you there. I had planned on being ready for a DE pretty soon, and eclou practically lives up there.

Y'all really need to apply pressure to Matt (Hoosier Daddy) to get his car back together. It's too nice to let sit. Of course, listen to me talk. My car hasn't been road worthy very much this year either. FWIW, if you decide on a GTG there in Dallas, I might still be able to show up. If Matt would want a hand putting his motor back in (I'm assuming it's still out), I'd gladly lend help.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Yes,

a 944/951 GTG at TWS would be awesome. If we could get 10-12 people I think I could arrange for a half day of open track time through Jack Turner.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
DrRon
Instructor

Henry

Assuming you are referring to the Lindsey 3" system?

FWIW on our 1991, we have had to cut about an inch of material from the pipe that came from the wastegate. For the 220hp cars that is not supposed to be required. The rest fitted nicely - if you run the system with and without silencer (depending on what a track allows), probably best to get some additional exhaust band clamps.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
killer miller
Track Day

Matt,
Is there any way i could stop by your shop this week and we could put on the exhaust the right way? I live over in addison off of belt line and am willing to drive a ways to get help from a 951 owner. As far as the get together you guys hurry up and get your cars running!!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:22 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Killer,
Sorry for dropping out of the thread, but my best friends house was one of the ones that flooded in Lancaster. I've been helping him the past couple of days, and I work nights so it's been crazy. I'd love to help -call me at 469-371-2427, Sunday would be good for me.

Quick Reply: exhaust question and dallas gtg