Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

test pipe install gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test pipe install gasket question

I'm going to be installing a used Bursch test pipe I got from another Rennlister on an otherwise stock exhaust. I wanted to have new gaskets at the ready... is there an alternative to the $36 a piece price that the local dealer charges for these little pups? Any tips appreciated, thanks much. kie
Old 07-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure is. NAPA carries it. It's a sheet of exhaust gasket material that is exceptiional stuff. All you have to do is trace the mating surface and cut it out with tin snips. Scissors won't work as the stuff is really sturdy........

Victor Reinz (manufacturer)
JU 222 (manufacturer's PN)

Also works well in a bind if you don't have any of the exhaust sealing rings. It's a 12" X 36" sheet and I think it cost me $8 so it'll last you a long time.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:11 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can order the gaskets off of lindsey's site i believe.. The one that the dealer sells isn't the one you need.. they sell the press in metal rings...
Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Sure is. NAPA carries it. It's a sheet of exhaust gasket material that is exceptiional stuff. All you have to do is trace the mating surface and cut it out with tin snips. Scissors won't work as the stuff is really sturdy........

Victor Reinz (manufacturer)
JU 222 (manufacturer's PN)

The NAPA p/n is JV 222 not JU. Stuff works great - I use snips and a hole punch (7/16) to make my gaskets.

Vic
Old 07-23-2004, 03:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking for the 3" triangular 3-hole gasket that goes between the downpipe and the catalytic section, you can use a header-gasket for American hot-rods. Find them at Pep Boys for $1.65 each or so. They're heat-resistant fibre gaskets with a 3" steel compression ring in the middle. The only thing you'll need to do is mark two of the holes by placing the gasket on the flange and tracing the outline. Then cut out the new holes with an Xacto knife or something. Cyrus951 did this very job last weekend.

Then for the square gasket between the catalytic and cat-back section, you can find another header gasket with 3" compression-ring, but this time with a square 4-bolt pattern. Kiss another $1.98 goodbye!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips. I used the NAPA stuff and it worked well. I must say that for those of us without emissions concerns this has to be the best valued upgrade by a longshot. $150 for a used test pipe and $11 for gasket material. More boost and so much quicker spool-up... plus the car must have lost 25 pounds and it sounds better as well.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:11 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Sorry all but just checking out what this test pipe is? Is it a cat replacement pipe?
I have never heard this term in UK (As Winston Churchill used to say Britain and USA, 2 great countries divided by one language!!!)
Has anybody got another one for sale. or where can I get one reasonably?

cheers
Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 06:15 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommo951
Sorry all but just checking out what this test pipe is? Is it a cat replacement pipe?
I have never heard this term in UK (As Winston Churchill used to say Britain and USA, 2 great countries divided by one language!!!)
Has anybody got another one for sale. or where can I get one reasonably?

cheers
Tom
One in the same, cat replacement pipe or test pipe
Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Thanks David for clearing that one up!!!

Quick Reply: test pipe install gasket question