Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ahmet's dyno day, YAY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 04:13 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

If the Vitesse Stg II is only making about 340ish rwhp on street gas at 17-18 psi then I don't see it as being much of an advantage over a K27/6. Am I missing something here?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:18 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can run at higher boost levels where the k27/6 would be out of it's efficiency. hence the >410 rwhp at higher boost levels. you're not going to get 400+ rwhp with a k27/6.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eugene, it has to do with the ease of it. The tuning should be relatively easy. It is like buying a component stereo system rather than piecing it together.

In actuality you can piece something together that should work just as well. However, not everyone is equipped to deal with those headaches.

OFFTOPIC: Get the RX heart transplant done?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally posted by shaheed
it can run at higher boost levels where the k27/6 would be out of it's efficiency. hence the >410 rwhp at higher boost levels. you're not going to get 400+ rwhp with a k27/6.
Didn't TonyG do just that??
Old 06-21-2004, 04:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: Ahmet's dyno day, YAY!

Originally posted by Ahmet
Here's my mod list as of yesterday:
Chips, no cat. 18psi peak, about 12 by redline. I must note my engine is very tight with less than 2% leakdown across 4.

I'm running guru chips. The numbers from the dyno are obviously at the wheels. The power #s are nice but the air/fuel ratio is pretty ****ty, especially as the boost builds... Anyway, but that isn't where my headeaches come from, this is:

This is Randy's 944 turbo (the one I've been working on). It is not tuned at all, and is running 14 psi. The turbo in this thing is not running efficiently @14psi (running a vitesse 2 kit). Boost builds nicely however, and the car's easy to drive. It has full exhaust, intake, injectors, etc. etc. I will install the SMT6 on it this week, and hope to have a superior dyno sheet in a few weeks. Note that this car was tuned using a fuel pressure regulator only! I completed the driveline modifications at 4:30 am the day before...

Ian was there, hopefully he'll post some stuff too...
Ahmet

Ahmet, Part of the Stage 2 is the SMT6 and the S2map loaded.. Why would you dyno it without tunng it????
Also, do not think that timing is not aggressive... 15psi MAX on pump gas.. Also make sure you have the FQS set to 0.
Fuel pressure should be set as I indicated...
The AFR is all over the place in the above chart.. As I mentioned 310-325rwhp should be at 15psi.. Which puts you very close even without tuning!!

Oh, yes.. I'm 9000miles away, but can't stay away from the RennList
Old 06-21-2004, 04:34 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jason_86_951
not with a k27/6 he didn't....as i recall when tony reached 400rwhp he had a bunch of other stuff on the car (cams, custom headers etc). remember the vitesse kit is intended to be a bolt on type of kit.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jason_86_951
Yes but IIRC, that was a N/A Milledge head/camshaft combo with a LOT of porting work, custom SFR headers, cross over pipe..
Old 06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

For a street car running street gas all the time, would the benefits of the Vit II be untapped?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Ski
Yes but IIRC, that was a N/A Milledge head/camshaft combo with a LOT of porting work, custom SFR headers, cross over pipe..
And a 60-1 with true Garrett turbine housing was the turbo, IIRC
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't see a K27/6 making much more than 310-320rwhp while under 18psi... even with a mess of mods. They just don't flow enough air.

I have a pretty good tune and a few goodies with my K27/8 and I'll hit 330rwhp at 15psi on a good day. Sure, I could go with more boost, but 17-19psi heats the air too much to really benefit. (unless I get a nice new IC)

Ahmet - like others said... get the rest of the kit in and ready to go. I'm sure you'll clean up that A/F and pull a nice large number, and a smoother chart.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

untapped potential, yes probably. BUT, you and your car can grow with that. The untapped part will probably be if you can max out the MAF meter on voltage, which you probably can't do but I don't know that - John is the man for that.

If you have injectors that are running 100% duty cycle, you'll change them right? Get something that can grow with you,,,,same with the stage II. Having helped install one(SMT6 too) and driven the car on page 2 with the dyno, Jims car, it is VERY strong and he's running 15 psi on street gas. My car and his car are very similar in boost and power. I think my turbo hits a bit harder at the onset of boost, where as his turbo comes into play a few hundred rpm sooner, therefore the smoothness of it all - but understand if you plant your foot in the wrong place, all hell & the back end will break loose.

I forgot that 60-1 turbo, thanks David. I couldn't remember so I kept my oral cavity closed.

Perry, your right too in the sense that with some good decent mods, these cars can be very strong and quick with 15 psi...and live to tell about it.

However... I can't wait to put race gas in the track car and turn it up to 17-18 with the Mafterburner!
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

here is a graph that tony posted a while back, as per his post the run in red was at 19psi (but the dyno broke at 5200 rpm) and the run in blue was at 15psi.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:01 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

What is Randy using for a boost controller? Did he get the quick spool option? My understanding is he should have full boost by 3500rpm which I don't think is the case by looking at the dyno chart.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Randy used the reliaboost to control things, and I think there are a combo of things that delayed the boost coming on.

1) Lack of the propper SMT 6 fuel Map
2) Reliaboost
3) Overly rich conditions
Old 06-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

OK update on the charts:

The quoted #s are correct, the chart is very accurate but not very precise. If you were to shift the plotting of the data upwards (by the appropriate amount, the same value across the chart) it would be spot on. I should have correct charts printed at some point, perhaps early next week. I will have the data available in electronic format also. This was caused by a software glitch that resulted from the update to new software that's more precise. As a note, correction and smoothing factors were 0, and the numbers are actual.

PS: I don't think reliaboost effects boost coming on at all on the dyno. The wastegate is kept closed until the preset value, then opens. For us, this MBC with a bleed (ie: check valve type) has worked wonderfully though some suggest against it. I do agree the mixture/tuning will help tremendously.

Also, if this has not been adequately mentioned earlier, though I don't think my chips are perfect for this particular car, on the road they're giving MUCH better mixture than on the dyno. Danno has informed me that my chips are mapped for 15psi, which can change some things too. Also apparently the car's running stronger than any other non S he's seen (does this let me mention my perfect compression/leak down again?). Blah. I'm happy overall I think...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Ahmet's dyno day, YAY!