Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Pedal stays down occasionally.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 01:09 AM
Golden Hands
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal stays down occasionally.

This is sort of part II to the intermittent clutch slipping saga. Since the throw-out bearing is getting stuck on the throw-out bearing guide, is it possible that if the thro-out bearing does not return that the clutch pedal could stay at the floor? I'm pretty sure that most of the time I had clutch slippage the pedal did stay at the floor, but not 100% that was the case. I know the usual suspect for pedal staying at the floor is air in the system but...

Thanks
Mike G.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:22 AM
CliveB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem, it was worse when the cabin was hot, particularly in stop-start traffic. I solved it by oiling the pedal pivot bearing. Worked a treat
Old 01-10-2024, 12:35 PM
Golden Hands
Rennlist Member

I guess I should have added that I need to physically pull the pedal back up with a bit for force. Almost like it was suctioned to the floor. It's definitely not an oiling the pivot issue. Wish it was tho. haha

Thanks
Mike G.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:12 PM
cew
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your clutch master cylinder is failing or the brake fluid reservoir is really low allowing the clutch master to suck in air.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:24 PM
Golden Hands
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the response but the the slave is new and the fluid level is high. and so am I, haha. I also bled it 10 times. I'm trying to find out if the clutch slave cylinder doesn't retract from the clutch diaphragm fingers if the pedal would stay on the floor. But I'm guessing I'm not going to get that answer until I put something together and try it myself.

Thanks
Mike G.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:26 PM
Steve Pratel
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Hands
Appreciate the response but the the slave is new and the fluid level is high. and so am I, haha. I also bled it 10 times. I'm trying to find out if the clutch slave cylinder doesn't retract from the clutch diaphragm fingers if the pedal would stay on the floor. But I'm guessing I'm not going to get that answer until I put something together and try it myself.

Thanks
Mike G.
If you replaced the slave, it is likely the clutch master cyl.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:51 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

A sticking clutch pedal can also be caused by a grove being worn into the clutch pedal pin. Here's an old thread discussing a similar issue.
Post #16 describes the pedal pin issue I've seen and then the discussion turns to a cracked firewall and repair.
Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...g-noise-2.html

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2024, 12:10 PM
Golden Hands
Rennlist Member

mj951,

Thanks. That thread makes me think I have a broken pedal return spring. But that leads me into another question. Currently my clutch hydraulic system is dissembled, no fluid no lines no nothing. SHOULD the clutch pedal return to the normal up position when depressed to the floor? I'm guessing yes lol. Oh and by the way the pedal snaps to the floor and then needs a good bit of effort to return it to the normal up position. Scheisse!! Too many things bad happening simultaneously.

Found my answer over on the Pelican forum site. The clutch pedal will stay down if the hydraulic system is open. So looks like its time for a new master clutch cylinder also. Weeeee

Thanks
Mike G.

Last edited by Golden Hands; 01-18-2024 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mj951 (01-18-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 12:36 PM
AA996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I had that exact same problem when I picked up my new-to-me 951. I drove it from Kansas City to Nashville with the pedal stuck halfway (I didn’t know better) and couldn’t figure out why the cruise control wouldn’t work. Until in rush hour traffic I heard a “thunk!” and found my clutch pedal fully out! Things worked perfectly the rest of the way home and I had cruise control again! I researched Rennlist and replaced both master & slave cylinders and the clutch engages right in the middle of travel and no more sticking. Hopefully that’ll solve your issues too.
The following users liked this post:
Golden Hands (02-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal stays down occasionally.