Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 951 #1 with Anderson Motor Fired Up today! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have a good idea on how to flush all the oil out of the cooling system? Could I run engine degreaser and water through it? The whole cooling system is full of oil now. I appreciate all the help I'm really trying to remain calm and collect and give John the benefit of the doubt but we will see. My warranty on this engine runs out later this year and I haven't even got her running for more than 30 seconds yet. I think instead of John paying me shop time to remove this oil cooler I would rather have another year of warranty on the motor. I'll see what happens when I bring that up.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:40 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Dude, you won't need a year to find out if the bearing are toast or not. I will be within hours of running. Believe me. The first sign will be the knocking noises - first very faint at higher rpm, then more prevalent until you hear it at idle. Then you pull the drain plug and see the chunks of bearing debris - it will glitter like gold in the sunlight in the drain pan. It is too painful for me to re-live this again....
Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know one thing, I'll never pay for an engine from a builder that I have to install myself. I'd pay to have it installed by the builder, so I'dhave a bullet proof guarantee that the builder is totally responsible for all work.

Doing part of the job yourself leaves too many gray areas imo.

Hopefully, John will do the right thing in this case, it seems pretty clear cut.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by eclou
Dude, you won't need a year to find out if the bearing are toast or not. I will be within hours of running. Believe me. The first sign will be the knocking noises - first very faint at higher rpm, then more prevalent until you hear it at idle. Then you pull the drain plug and see the chunks of bearing debris - it will glitter like gold in the sunlight in the drain pan. It is too painful for me to re-live this again....
Well than I guess more time on the warranty the better than. When the car had good oil pressure I let it run for about a min and didn't hear any knocking sounds, actually the car sounded real nice and tight didn't even hear the lifters all that much. Only time will tell.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Just got done pulling the plastic covers to double check my t-belt, because if he forgot the seals kinda made me wonder what else he forgot. Well the autotensioner is acting funny. They're two 13mm bolts you loosen than one 17mm bolt. Well the 17mm bolt is stripped and will not tighten. The other two appear to be fine can anybody tell me what the 17mm bolt is used for? Before I have always used the 17mm bolt to adjust the tension on the belt well know with it being stripped I can't.

Last edited by Dan87951; 06-02-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take the tensioner assembly out completely (requires timing and balance shaft belt removal), you'll be able to see how the tensioner roller is bolted to the tensioner. The bolt head is on the inside and the nut faces outward. Assuming the nut is actually torqued to spec, I wouldn't worry about it. It is a lock nut and if tightened at all, it won't loosen up (assuming it's not worn out). If loose, then I would be in there disassembling before you run the engine any more.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i finally gave up on getting my shortblock from John sure is nice on the phone when they decide to return the calls. After all the excuses I had my credit card handle the charges and i got my credit. And payment would be dependant on me recieving a engine....well the last I heard they where delayed on building a crate for shipping. Then no more calls returned and I left a message to call me by a certain time or deal was off and again no reply. Then I made one more call to confirm deal was off(left a message) So John if you still read this thanks for wasting a month of my time and I'm sure glad I got mastercard involved before it was too late. Not to be pass judgement but I would stay clear of this company...or be willing to lose your $$$. Put payment with your credit card pending delivery!!!! Good luck with your engine you'll end up having a big phone bill trust me and still no real answers. GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Well upon further inspection the t-belt is in fact used, it has a small cut a few cm long in it. Looks like I don't have new belts after all. Off to call John to see what he has to say.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dan87951
Well upon further inspection the t-belt is in fact used, it has a small cut a few cm long in it. Looks like I don't have new belts after all. Off to call John to see what he has to say.
I am getting so P'd off as I read this. The fact that you're a friend and I know how hard you've worked on this project and how much you spent P's me off more.

Poor service will put John out of business faster than anything we can do... and it "appears" that he's doing that to Dan. Hard not to reserve judgement when he's doing it to a bud!

Cory
Old 06-02-2004, 08:34 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

All i can say is stay away from this guy, and you will be much better for it.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, I have had very good sucess using Spray Nine and water. It will clean the cooling system completely, at least as good as you can without total disassembly.

If you need any technical help feel free to contact me and I will do what I can.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Well I just took out the oil filter housing, and there were no bushing seals at all in there however he did manage to put in the seal from the block to the oil filter housing. If you don't understand what seals he missed, I'm talking about the 2 cylinder looking plugs that have two O-rings on them on either end and plug into the block, well mine just weren't there all together... unbelieveable... I have pictures to post as well.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

John called me, Said he will do whatever it takes to make this right. Just thought I would let everyone know what John is willing to do for me. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Big E
Racer

Originally posted by Dan87951
John called me, Said he will do whatever it takes to make this right. Just thought I would let everyone know what John is willing to do for me. I will keep you guys posted.
Given what I've read here and in other sagas, I don't think I would ever trust this guy to change the oil, let alone build an engine. A used timing belt?!?!

Good luck, hope it works out okay for you, but I'd be lining things up for when it doesn't.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I received an extended warranty to 2005 on the engine and I will also receive all the necessary parts to make things right.

John also said if anybody had problems with him in previous years he will do what he can to make things right on a person to person basis.

Last edited by Dan87951; 06-03-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 951 #1 with Anderson Motor Fired Up today! Need Help!