Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing Euro fog/driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:52 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Euro fog/driving lights

I bought a pair of used Euro fog/driving lights a few weeks ago to replace my cracked/sandblasted US lights. I'd rather not engineer a hook up for the second set of lights before I upgrade to the IceShark kit, which I won't have the time to do for a few months yet. This being the case, can I hook up the driving lights to the existing fog light wires instead of the fog lights? Are these lights on a relay?

The driving lights came with 100W bulbs. Between the two, I'd obviously rather have the driving lights act as my flash to pass when the headlights are down. So long as I don't flip them on from the foglight dashboard switch, will this cause any problems (blown fuses, etc.)?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mine as my headlights, i removed all internals and motors for the flip ups, i have both the driving lights and fogs connected to the same wire, originaly the fog light wire,55w fog and 100w driving with no problems noted. i do plan to rewire the driving lights to my high beam circuit.

Anybody know what happened to a project for fixed lights that was going around. I think i have to do a search to revive that one.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Cantres,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a friend named Carlos Perez who is just about finished up at T-44 training in Corpus Christi, TX. He'll be returning to your Herc unit I believe... do you happen to know him? He was prior-e.

Micah
Old 05-24-2004, 01:54 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of installing these lights - where did you buy them and how much did you pay?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:58 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Micah- I sure know him he used to be one of our life support guy's. ask him 'bout me and tell him he better get the landings right or i'll give him hell
Old 05-24-2004, 02:03 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by silvergray951
I'm thinking of installing these lights - where did you buy them and how much did you pay?
I got mine off ebay, the seller pops up on there with a pair every now and then so keep an eye out. They are quite pricey when they are new, about $300 if I recall...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not, I got mine for $150, including all bulbs, armourfend, and the plastic trim kit pieces on either side of the light (an unexpected surprise). They had been used for 10K miles and look like new. I don't think that the seller realized what he had.

Just to recap, based on cantresjr's post, we are saying that it is safe to use the foglight wiring for 100w driving lamps instead of the fogs?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:10 PM
86-951
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went to install mine, I looked hard at the ROTW electrical prints, planning to duplicate the factory wiring, fuses, etc. but it turned out to be too much trouble. I added a separate relay (outside the fuse box) and tapped into the high beam power wire for the control signal to the relay. I used a 20A fused connection to supply power to the 100W driving lights via the relay. My fogs still work with the low beams and my driving lights come on with the high beams - a major improvement in visibility. Plus, the drivers are available to flash via the turn signal stalk.

Quick Reply: Installing Euro fog/driving lights