Engine Rebuild Tips And Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 05:53 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Tips And Tricks

Hey Guys-
I have been searching to make sure I don't miss anything when I rebuild (which is now)...

Anything from knifing the crank to cross-drilling to adding dowel pins to port and polish to new head studs to lightening the flywheel....

I need help - the engine is at the machine shop (that has apparently done a few 944 engines in the past). Machine shop is not being very helpful in the "experimentally beneficial modifications department." (Not that I expected them to be ).

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:57 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Here's something you can start with.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=rebuild
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many 944 motors has the shop worked on? Hard to believe they're missing an opportunity to sell you up.
Old 05-20-2004 | 07:50 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Thanks for the responses...

I am really looking for dowel pin modifications? Can anyone shed a bit of light on the modification?

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2004 | 02:56 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After they take the girdle off the bottom of the block, you'll see that there's a locating dowel on the rear. In the front, you'll see that the hole for the dowel was bored in the block, but no dowel! Just get another dowel and insert into the hole in the front of the block. Someone posted a part# a while back, but I can't find it now.
Old 05-21-2004 | 03:43 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Thanks Danno-

Talked to the machinist today... He said my cylinder bores are very close to the wear limit... No real bad scoring that I saw, but apparently the bores are warn enough to constitute 1st oversized pistons... Is this usually the case? I have only rebuilt one other engine (Ford) and there was some scoring but the walls were still within spec (150k+ mi).

Also, the machinist does not have the abrasive compound etc. necessary to properly "hone" the cylinder bores... (he has the machine but not the other stuff). He wants me to pay for HIS tools! His excuse was "I will probably never use them again." Umm strange considering I was referred to this guy from local PORSCHE people! The only way he knew he didn't have the tools was because I haded him a printed copy of the factory manual on Engine Rebuild... I am afraid this guy doesn't know what he is doing, even more so, because I was referred to the guy by a local Porsche racing "team"/shop...
Old 05-21-2004 | 09:15 AM
chilibluepepper
Racer

If the second dowel is used up front, isn't reboring a requirement for alignment purposes? What are opinions on this procedure? I'm also involved in an engine build project, and I'm wondering whether I should consider option as well.
Old 05-23-2004 | 06:31 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Sleeve and new pistons or bigger bore and oversized factory pistons?

I gather that they are about the same price?

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Tips And Tricks