Engine bay smokes like a barbeque after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 12:59 AM
rally944daydream
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine bay smokes like a barbeque after warm up

Hello all,

I have just completed the oil, coolant, belts, and water pump change, when I start the car there is a fair amount of smoke coming from the exhaust manifold side of the engine bay. The smoke seems to be coming below the exhaust manifolds, but when I shine a light down there I cannot find an exact source. I did not notice this before doing the maintenance either. Not sure if this is related, when I change the oil, the oil has a strong gas smell, and the newly changed oil has the same smell as well when I inspect the dipstick (though I only did idle a few times after the oil change). What could be the issue causing this smoke? Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by rally944daydream; 03-22-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Grammar fix in title
Old 03-22-2023, 11:20 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

All i have to say is that anytime you do that amount of work and have layed hands on the header/ exhaust it will smoke for some time,, oil from the engine… your hands,.. drips from taking parts out,,ect needs to be burned off.. if there is no obvious oil pouring out let it run.. if you want to play it super safe have an extinguisher handy but it is normal..
The following users liked this post:
Paul Waterloo (03-22-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 12:19 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 to previous post. A serious job will get oil everywhere and I always enjoy the “post work burn off” followed by the sweet clean air. But, if it smokes for more that 10 minutes I’d start looking for a leak.