Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR 3inch wont fit the 951, Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 12:03 PM
ActionTrack
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR 3inch wont fit the 951, Advice?

Hey all,
A week or two ago I finally received my full 3-inch exhaust from Lindsey with their 3-inch downpipe as well. This past week I have slowly been installing in between work and other items. Yesterday, As of now, I have been able to hook up the downpipe to the turbo and the turbo is mounted into the car. When installing the first exhaust piece to the downpipe, the holes on the flange did not line up at all. We had to enlarge the holes on the exhaust flange to even have a chance to get the exhaust mounted up on the downpipe in the first place. Once we were able to get the exhaust actually onto the dp, we noticed that the exhaust looks way too big for the car itself. I am fairly new to this and have not been able to find a thread directly with this issue, so I am reaching out here.

The exhaust seems to hang down lower to the ground an extra 4 inches or so. Almost as if there is just extra pipe on the exhaust itself. Making me believe it will just scrape constantly if left like this when driven.The pics below is when the exhaust is fully flush against the dp. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a common issue. Would love some advice.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:46 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

have you every re-clocked your turbo? if all original, something is not right with the LR setup, it's either bent or has been modified. Did you buy the 3" used?
Old 03-21-2023, 01:01 PM
ActionTrack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kev951
have you every re-clocked your turbo? if all original, something is not right with the LR setup, it's either bent or has been modified. Did you buy the 3" used?
No, bought it straight from Lindsey. I did not re-clock my turbo as I am not sure what that is actually. I just took it out to replace the downpipe with the upgraded one and placed it back in according to how the two mounting bolts on the turbo sit.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 584 Likes on 305 Posts

oh boy..great.

Looks like the FK'd up one of the bends. When i ordered my 3" system (no down pipe though) ages ago i was told something to the effect that mine was going to have to be made etc and it may take a bit longer for delivery. It did. I wasn't in a hurry anyway as the car is in storage up north so i was fine with that. .

it is still sitting unopened in a box up in MN to put on this spring. I do not want to deal with a system that "doesn't line up"..

I haven't upgraded the down pipe though....yet.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:19 PM
ActionTrack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tony
oh boy..great.

Looks like the FK'd up one of the bends. When i ordered my 3" system (no down pipe though) ages ago i was told something to the effect that mine was going to have to be made etc and it may take a bit longer for delivery. It did. I wasn't in a hurry anyway as the car is in storage up north so I was fine with that.

it is still sitting unopened in a box up in MN to put on this spring. I do not want to deal with a system that "doesn't line up"..

I haven't upgraded the down pipe though....yet.
I have a feeling I am going to need to take it to a shop near me and see if they can cut/and or make the exhaust fit. My exhaust took four months to ship to me so with this happening, it is bumming me out a bit. It is just too big as of now and maybe there is something I am missing but I cannot see how adjusting something will bring the exhaust four or some inches back up to the car.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:36 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Clocking the turbo means loosening the inlet and exhaust housings of the turbo and rotating one side (in your case the hot side) to accommodate lining things up; it sounds like you may need to rotate the hot side ....... BUT.... after doing this, your crossover pipe might not line up, so something most likely is incorrect on either the down-pipe or the center section or damage during shipping etc. Just hit up Mike or Dave, explain whats going on, what you have removed etc and they will make things right.

Last edited by kev951; 03-21-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:55 PM
ActionTrack
Intermediate

Just got off the phone with Lindsey,
They sent me the wrong pipe, which explains the exhaust not fitting at all. Hopefully I can get the correct exhaust fairly soon and have it all put together.
The following users liked this post:
kev951 (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:12 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Boom!
Old 03-22-2023, 11:32 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I never undersood that big downpipe.. the outlet of the turbo is tiny and the downpipe is huge… i had a big downpipe gifted to me and didnt make a difference other than being a giant pain to deal with.. so i used the stock down pipe but as soon as it gets straight by the starter i went to 3” then where the wg dumps thats 4”.. juice wasn't worth the sqeeze.. not to mention the bolts were hard to get tight. They got loose on the turbo once at the track and it melted the aos… thats when i went back to stock.. of course it was a sfr pipe not a lindsey… but i do like the 2 pc crossover!
The following users liked this post:
Chris Prack (04-03-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 06:46 PM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 584 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionTrack
Just got off the phone with Lindsey,
They sent me the wrong pipe, which explains the exhaust not fitting at all. Hopefully I can get the correct exhaust fairly soon and have it all put together.
good to know, thanks for following up.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:28 PM
ActionTrack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I never undersood that big downpipe.. the outlet of the turbo is tiny and the downpipe is huge… i had a big downpipe gifted to me and didnt make a difference other than being a giant pain to deal with.. so i used the stock down pipe but as soon as it gets straight by the starter i went to 3” then where the wg dumps thats 4”.. juice wasn't worth the sqeeze.. not to mention the bolts were hard to get tight. They got loose on the turbo once at the track and it melted the aos… thats when i went back to stock.. of course it was a sfr pipe not a lindsey… but i do like the 2 pc crossover!
I felt like just changing the whole system out to a 3 inch, why not. The car has a larger turbo on it so larger can't hurt in this situation. I will be sure to check on the bolts here and there as I agree, they are pretty hard to get tight and I do not wont anything coming loose.

Quick Reply: LR 3inch wont fit the 951, Advice?