Talk me out of a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 06:55 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Talk me out of a bad idea

RLers,
I'm curious for some advice about a really bad idea I'm considering. I turn 50 in a few months and decided I wanted a project car. I already have a 991.1 TTS and a Panamera TTS and have owned a slew of 911s. For some odd reason, I've always wanted a 944 Turbo. Probably because my neighbor across the street had one and I thought it was the coolest thing ever as a kid, but who knows.

A friend of mine from college has had an '87 for close to 25 years... and it's been sitting for almost 15. It's mostly stock, but will need gong through completely. It's got a clean carfax, no rust (that I can tell) and was running when parked. He parked it because it had a fuel leak, and has lots of other cars, so he never fixed it and there it sits. It's got 118k miles on it, so I'm sure everything needs rebuilt (which I can mostly do), but the car just recently had the transaxle and LSD rebuilt before parked.

My goals would be as linear a power band as I could get out of it, to look very stock, and some milid suspension mods. Other than that, just enjoy it and the process of fixing it up.

Is this just a money pit? I don't mind spending money to fix it and wrenching myself, but I'm guessing with those kinds of miles, the car will never be worth what I put into it. What says the internet wisdom?
Old 12-30-2022, 07:09 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Money pit even if you do the work yourself

But a fun project. If not in a hurry buy used parts when possible and makes sense and slowly start the process. I never make money selling my toys or projects but i do enjoy them

Set a budget, double that and if comfortable with the dollars jump in the deep end of the pool

Last edited by 996AE; 12-30-2022 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CincyScott (12-30-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 01:39 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve had my 944 turbo S for 33 years. It has needed regular maintenance but is far from a money pit. These cars are robust and dependable if well taken care of. I think more at issue is the fact that it’s been sitting without running or maintenance for 15 years. I’d say find yourself a well maintained 944 turbo, work on it yourself and enjoy. Just buy the right 944 turbo and you’ll love the experience.
CincyScott (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 08:17 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 974 Posts

I’m in the same field but with my own garage statue a 88 944T/S that needs to be recommissioned
time and the desire to start a project at 57 deters me
but they really are a most rewarding drive balance and power delivery is ideal
good luck with your endeavor
CincyScott (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 08:57 AM
Garyss
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 5 Porsche
2021 Macon S
2010 997.2 gt3
1987 944 turbo
1986 930 original slant nose
1974 914 LE creamsicle
the 944 turbo is fun to drive and very comfortable keep up the maintenance then it’s very reliable.
if you do the work your self it’s not hard
bring it up to date
all belts rollers water pump timing belt
all fluids and break flush
replace fuel lines in engine compartment
check break pads and rotors for wear
then consider
front koni strut inserts and koni rear shocks
then it will be a great sports. Car
go for it and enjoy
The following 2 users liked this post by Garyss:
CincyScott (12-31-2022), EVOMMM (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:48 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Nope, not gonna talk you out if it. But in addition to everything mentioned above, even if the car was sitting in a controlled environment, be aware that the rubber parts, from the inconsequential to the very important and hard-to -reach are likely to fail and need replacement. 2 years on from my revival of an ‘87 Turbo car that was sitting in a temp
controlled locker for 14 years and still chasing rubber parts…
CincyScott (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 11:23 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless it's really cheap, find one that someone else has already fixed up. It's not hard to spend more recommissioning ,than a barn find 944 is worth.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:30 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Good point- budget yourself 5-10k lower end if you do the work yourself, higher end if you have it done. If the differential is greater than this, you may have a winner. But as I often say, if it is in the pursuit of your passion, the pleasure always seems to cover the price.
CincyScott (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:29 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Something about resurrecting a car is always appealing to me. I restored cars prior to having kids (ie had time), and now that they are teens I have some time back.

I pretty much figured I would have to go through every single system, which is fine, that’s part of the journey I guess.

Which parts are unobtainable? It seems that most are around (albeit expensive in some cases).
Old 12-31-2022, 03:50 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ElRicardo
Nope, not gonna talk you out if it. But in addition to everything mentioned above, even if the car was sitting in a controlled environment, be aware that the rubber parts, from the inconsequential to the very important and hard-to -reach are likely to fail and need replacement. 2 years on from my revival of an ‘87 Turbo car that was sitting in a temp
controlled locker for 14 years and still chasing rubber parts…
absolutely agree with this. These cars are so old that every piece of rubber under the hood will be petrified. IMO you should just consider biting the bullet, pull the engine and do a complete reseal or forever chase leaks. Once and done, yeah it's a lot of work. Oh and while you're in there....
Old 12-31-2022, 04:32 PM
Garyss
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call automobile antlanta ask for George very helpful has Quality parts at very fair prices besides his wealth of knowledge
phone 770-427-2844
tell him Gary sent you
good luck and happy new year
CincyScott (01-05-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 04:48 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

-Any pictures?
-Sitting outside for 15 years?
-Maybe if the price is right…
could buy 2… a proper well maintained version so you can actually drive a 951. Then your friends as a fixer upper.
-Are you looking to make it mint condition on the inside and outside?

-it could be plagued with so many little annoyances. Rusted out instrument cluster, none functioning gauges, mice getting to the electrical harness. Bad connections in the fuse box. If you could get to know the car prior to purchasing, the more comfortable it would be buying it or passing.

-does it have the options you want? Wish my car didn’t have a sunroof.

toughy.

Last edited by Chapman951; 12-31-2022 at 04:58 PM.
CincyScott (01-05-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:40 PM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, even one that is supposedly sorted could still be filled with issues that would take it off the road for a while. I bought a 951 in October that was in really good shape, drove it home over the Rockies back to Vancouver from Alberta, and have since done a lot to make her more long term road worthy. Motor and tranny mounts, fuel lines converted to AN lines, tranny seals, short shift kit and linkage, etc. Still needs front rotors, deal with an oil blow off issue and I'm trying to figure out which coli over setup I want to go with the FULL bushing replacement I have planned (already have them in my closet). There is so much more to do for long term reliability and THEN my custom stuff can begin. If the car you're looking at doesn't have rust, that's a start. If it hasn't been sitting in a moldy garage, that helps, too.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:32 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jotronic
Honestly, even one that is supposedly sorted could still be filled with issues that would take it off the road for a while. I bought a 951 in October that was in really good shape, drove it home over the Rockies back to Vancouver from Alberta, and have since done a lot to make her more long term road worthy. Motor and tranny mounts, fuel lines converted to AN lines, tranny seals, short shift kit and linkage, etc. Still needs front rotors, deal with an oil blow off issue and I'm trying to figure out which coli over setup I want to go with the FULL bushing replacement I have planned (already have them in my closet). There is so much more to do for long term reliability and THEN my custom stuff can begin. If the car you're looking at doesn't have rust, that's a start. If it hasn't been sitting in a moldy garage, that helps, too.
I was planning to go through all of the systems before driving it anyway, including a full engine rebuild. There’s just no way after all this time it isn’t going to be an oil sieve.

That’s part of the fun to me anyway, the build, the hunt for the perfect part, etc. My biggest concern is that I just can’t get the parts, but that seems not to be the largest issue most owners face.

Really good point on the rodents though, that’s an iffy proposition at best when they’ve been in there.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Is this car in Nashville?
i have been into 944s since 2005 and have worked on every model over the years (i worked as a traveling 944 mechanic in california when in college).
maybe i could put some eyes on it for you?

I don’t really work on other people’s cars anymore, but could give it a looking over to see what you need.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 01-01-2023 at 01:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
CincyScott (01-01-2023), Noahs944 (01-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a bad idea