Cracks in dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004 | 07:22 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracks in dash

Hey guy's I just noticed on my dash that i have 2 small cracks coming from the corners of the deffoger vents. I guess that no matter how well I take care of it eventually age will win over. i've heard of some dash covers look nice.
wich ones are you guys using and if you can post pics.

by the way they aren't bigger than 1/8 of an inch. but before thre were none
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2004 | 07:52 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking for a used dash cover in any condition for the late dashes, carpet or plastic I don't care. PM me if anyone has anything.

Cantresjr, on my old car I removed the dash from the car, peeled off the vinyl coating or whatever it is, then siliconed on a coverlay cover and held it with many clamps and weights until it was dry. It worked perfectly, pretty much looked like a new factory dash.

Most peoples main complaint is that they dont stay glued down, but if you remove the dash and put effort into glueing, it should work great.

Mark
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have that cross to use as a direct line to god to warn you about speeding cameras if the radar fails? Seems like a good idea to me...
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:12 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i had mine made at wal-mart which they did a very good job. Just tell them which kind of car you have and they will make it to fit your car. It only costs like $40 and you get to what ever on it. I decided to put 944 turbo which came out nice. I will try to take some pictures and post them. I would do it right now except my interenet to dam slow
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:30 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how it starts, a couple of little ones and before ya know it... The grow like wild fire. I put my car in storage in my Garage went off to Iraq and the dash was PERFECT... came back six months later and cracks everywhere. DAMN IT. I was rather proud of that uncracked dash to. Well I have been experimenting with a Bondo flexible bumper repair materiel in an attempt to fix the little ones. I will probably go the Coverlay route myself.

IPSC
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:34 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah the cross is an amulet i use on all my cars. even though i'm not religious at all.
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:52 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car came with one installed and it is too shiny for me when the sun is out. I'm really looking for a new one or the time to remove and refinish the one I have. I've got no idea what it looks like underneath there, but I fear the worst.
Old 05-06-2004 | 01:02 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

WOW, I really like the red dash with the 930 wheel! You really have a nice looking interior, and clean too... Im told that the original dashes are covered in leather (true?) at any rate my good friend went to a saddle shop and bought some expensive leather conditioner that really brings the small cracks to a halt. You might give it a try before things get out of hand.

Ryan
Old 05-06-2004 | 01:58 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I have a flawless burgundy dash on my parts car. Email me for pics. vitesse951@yahoo.com
Old 05-06-2004 | 01:09 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all with the inputs.

smokin- thanks i like it too.

boostguy - i'll keep it in mind

if you look at the dash(unless you were really looking and not in the pic)you wouldn't see the little demons. i just want to see what you guys do to maintain the dash. and to see any dash covers that rennlisters might be using.
the pic is so you guys could see the god condition my dash is in.
Old 05-06-2004 | 08:01 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Vinylex to keep it supple (thanks Rennlist for the suggestion) and I've tried a few dash repair kits on my 2 cracks but with no real luck...seems like they just use black silicone and it falls out eventually. Eventually it'll have to get taken out AGAIN and recovered with mousehair/suede. Avoid dash caps, they look like dookie and ruin the dash if you ever want to make it nice again...better to live with a couple cracks, use the Vinylex, and wait 'til you want to make it nice and put the $ into it.

Quick Reply: Cracks in dash