Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who's up for a Bay Area Meet v.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Althought we didn't get much wrenching done today it sure was fun just talking "Porsche" or 944's in general. Your house and "Garage" setup still amazes me.

I didn't realise you had your own race track in your own backyard. I'm calling that route the "Billburgring". For those of you that wasn't there Bill has this twisty road that goes for aroung 7-8 miles of twisties and hardly any traffic in either direction. That was a great route and a fun drive.

It was great seeing everyone there specially putting faces to a screen name. Those cars looked great. I'd post some pics that I took but I didn't have my digital camera today. I had the old reliable 35mm Cannon that I have to go and have developed.

Bill, goodluck with the project .

Efren
Old 05-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ah damn, too bad i didn't make it out, are we still on for the drive on may 22nd?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:38 AM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Bill,

Thanks very much for hosting! It was fun to see you guys. Sorry I couldn't come earlier!

Danno, I'll contact you about the WG tomorrow!

Best,

Gary.

P.S. Oh, and thanks Bill and Trevor for the 'roadside assistance'... I made it back home safely!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:39 AM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Originally posted by Dmitry S.
ah damn, too bad i didn't make it out, are we still on for the drive on may 22nd?
I'd be up for a drive on the 22nd.

Gary.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Well another great get together, further proof that 944 guys are the best.

Special thanks go to the great Danno, for unselflessly offering his help on my project, for setting up this event, for all the great advice, for turning wrenches and getting his hands dirty, and for being the furthest traveled to get to the event. Danno....You Da Man!

I think all of my goals for the day were met.

Work Day:
Progress was made on my car. We got all the front pulleys, tensioners, idlers and timing belts installed. Guys learned how to use the factory belt gauge. Jon and Gary learned how important it is, that the engine be dead cold in order to get an accurate belt tension reading. Trever got his dead 968 turbo battery charged. It was deciced that Gary's boost problem was caused by his wastegate. We found that my center exhaust header was warped, which is why I had an exhaust leak. So today it is off to the machine shop to be surfaced.

Tech Session:
As usuall, there was great conversation and much was learned by all. We learned of new and exciting Guru Racing products (Danno you know the product that better come my way as soon as it is released). Discussed products we would like to have. Saw trick custom control arms from Mumzer. Theory, secret tips, past issues, fixes, product experiences, preferences, performance, installations. It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn, every time we have a get together.

Pizza Run:
"Billburgring" Efren that is too funny! Yes I am very lucky to have such a fun road, so close to my casa. Since my car was on the rack, I bummed a ride from sailracer. Sailracer is a very competent driver and set a brisk pace for the pack. Sailracer later admitted to being on several road racing crews and was a member of NASA. Oh, and Sail has done all the good suspension modifications. Efren had to keep pace with 3 guys in his car. Good thing Efren's car is a prime example of a Turbo S. Sorry to the guys that we lost in route, but as Sail said looking in his mirror "if you can't keep up, you get lost". Can you say "competitive". We found out later that all 944 guys can "keep up" until there is mechanical problems. You gotta love the 944 gremlins. If you don't, these cars are not for you. Sail, thanks for the fun ride.

It was nice to see old friends. Mike S (almost back on the road) 86 turbo, Bill (almost back on the road, again) 86 turbo, Danno (Mr Guru) 86 turbo, Trevor (joy stick) 87 944 - 89 968 turbo (brought his RC 4wd 993 and was doing awsome 4 wheel drifts with it on my driveway), Efren (sun umbrella) 88 turbo s. Put new faces to rennames. Crazy Eddie (so true) an original owner of a silver rose turbo S, that told some great stories. Tom (bitten by the gremlins) M'Guinn 86 turbo from Ca/Fla. Sailracer (the ringer) 86 turbo (rare and pretty pearl white). Jonnybgood (let the motor cool) 87 944 s. Gary (don't forget to tighten that hose clamp) Gaukler 86 turbo. A guy and his son (sorry forgot your names) in a clean gold S2. Let me know if I forgot anyone else.

I look forward to our next NorCal event!

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 05-03-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for hosting the party Bill! We'll finish up on your car soon, gotta get you back on the road! Good to meet all you folks that I've been emailing for years!

BTW, I hit the rev-limit in 2nd gear around the Billburgring...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya nuts !! one slip up and you're over the edge
And I mean good night Irene .....
Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

On second thought I dont know how you fit on that road with those Monsters
(tires)you have on ...
Old 05-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Danno,

Your car sounds REAL healthy!

When you left, you would have thought that there was a bunch of dogs in my garage and a fire truck was flying by! I mean all conversation stopped and every ones ears perked up. My comment was the heck with the sound, I like how quick it revs. Thats real torque!

You missed the Billburgring though. It is not the entry road to my house, but about a 45 minute, hella twisty, nasty a$$, one and a half lane road in the mountains above my house.

Ya nuts !! one slip up and you're over the edge
Crazy Eddie describes the road well. Keeps my driving skills honed. We drove this "loop" to pick up the pizza. You were late and missed this fun part of the day.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:00 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bill for hosting the event. Even though the engine wasn't cooled down enough to accurately measure the belt tension I feel warm and fuzzy that it is within range for now. Thanks for my initiation to the 9201! I will have to buy one now, the heck with the Kriket.

Yeah, I imagine my 944S departure was insignificant following Danno's departure! 'til next time.

That was Jerry W and Wrecksimple (rennames) in the S2.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I would be up for a bay area meet..I am in the Sac area and will be meeting with a Sac group but am alos down for a bay area drive..22 soundns great too..maybe along the coast
Old 05-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the headcount at now? 3? cmon people, the last run was in february.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the ride on Sunday the 16th?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
Is this the ride on Sunday the 16th?

Danno,
This thread isn't the NorCal Run on May 16th but the Bay Area folk are certainly welcome.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:44 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I'm in for another Bay Area run on the 22th.

Quick Reply: Who's up for a Bay Area Meet v.2