Tire suggestions 4 my 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by highboy

BUT as Matt H has mentioned TWICE now!! - he would opt for the 245/45-16 all the way around- still curious about this set-up - anybody done this with 8 & 9 inch wheels? hey Matt H - what are your suggestions on tire brands and models - based on te above criteria?

has any used the KUMHO 711's OR 712's - there cheap!

thanks
tom
Matt is the tire guy, so his advice is very good.

I am running the Kumho 712's now and will not buy another set, they have been ok but I trust Matt when he says they junk.

You want cheap, the new Fuzion is as cheap as they come $320 for 4 245/45-16, next price up I would go with the Yokohama AVS ES100
Old 04-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - now I'm really confused - everybody has an opinion (which is good) BUT which way do i go and what brand tire do i buy? here's the deal - i need these tires to be inexpensive - decent performance and all-weather useful (the car is a daily driver)

Yes, everyone does have an opinion. You have to assess what is right for you. We all have different needs. How much is inexpensive (per tire)?

if I go with the 225/50-16 frt, what about a 245/45-16 rear w/a spacer to fillout to the edge of the wheel well - has anybody done this and what thickness scaper and length stds did you use?

Not necessary, mount them up first, see what you think THEN worry about whether you want to change it. You could use a small spacer but if you are going to do that why not go to different wheels so you can get what you want.

BUT as Matt H has mentioned TWICE now!! - he would opt for the 245/45-16 all the way around- still curious about this set-up - anybody done this with 8 & 9 inch wheels? hey Matt H - what are your suggestions on tire brands and models - based on te above criteria?

I mentioned it twice because these cars handle very well with the same size tires. Staggered fitments are nice but in an ideal world I would use an 18X11 all around. There are plenty of people who spend lots of time on the track that will tell you the car feels much more flat and neutral with the same size tire all around. Z-Man would be a good one to ask about it. Answer my question about price and I will tell you what I would look at.

has any used the KUMHO 711's OR 712's - there cheap!
So was a Yugo...get my drift.

what about TOYO Proxies T1S OR the YOKO AVS ES100
Both good performers at a good price, for a few bucks more look at the BS RE-750 and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 04-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,
Quick question on running the same size all around.
How well would this work on early offset 7&8x16 phone dials. Would this be too much tire for the 7" front?? I'm looking for some good tires for 95% track (autoX) / 5% street use (drive to the track only). I'm looking at the
Yokohama A032R
Thanks,
Jason
Old 04-28-2004, 05:16 PM
gstreev
Racer

Best selection & price from Tirerack.com, use stock sizes with stock rims
245/45 & 225/50. I'd go Yokohamas.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Jason - if were going to go the same size on the 7/8s I would use the 225 all around the 245 is too wide for the 7" front.

FWIW - I like the characterstics and look of the AO32-R but they are as noisey as a 747 on take off. May consider the Toyo Proxes RA1 as an alternative.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to order my pilot sports this weekend and they're all "oh actually we just ran out" so i talked to the guy and said that i was thinkin es100s cuz these fellow porschers keep talkin em up. and then he was lke " oh hell ya, the only thing the pilots will give you beter is wet trac and a 200 dollar higher price tag total" so i took em. hope these yokos are as good as you keep saying. just got em today, maybe mount em tomorrow if i can find some time
Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to order my pilot sports this weekend and they're all "oh actually we just ran out" so i talked to the guy and said that i was thinkin es100s cuz these fellow porschers keep talkin em up. and then he was lke " oh hell ya, the only thing the pilots will give you beter is wet trac and a 200 dollar higher price tag total" so i took em. hope these yokos are as good as you keep saying. just got em today, maybe mount em tomorrow if i can find some time
Old 04-28-2004, 09:27 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

I just bought some Falken St-115's. Not because they were more affordable than some, but for the longer life with a treadwear rating of 360! Just to give an example, the Yokohoma AVS has a 180 rating and I believe they are AA for traction. The St-115's have an A rating. Yes, it is slightly less, but the treadwear rating is double and I am not tracking my car except for maybe a DE here and there. The St-115's are also suppose to be quieter because of a new compound (micro capsule something ??). Since I am driving my car more than ever since the rebuild, I wanted something that lasted longer than just the summe1r and worked well in the wet and was not singing a song on the highway that would cause me to shout. The UPS guy just dropped-off the back two and I will have to wait for the fronts since they are backordered. I am running 18's (265/35/18 and 225/40/18). Here is a link to these tires.
http://www.falkentire.com/tires/st115_infopg.htm

I purchased mine through Discounttiredirect.com

Kary
Old 04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

I installed the kumo Ecsta Supra's back in Jan. 04 and they are different than the 711 - 712's. I compared the tread patteran prior to purchase because of some comments read here. I have ridden in rain, and some ice couple months ago for grins and i am very happy w/ performance, ride and handling and they look great. The price was great also! Now if your racing then that's a differant story, go w/ the experts. Good luck. Scott.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been running the Kumho's, I have to say that by far they are the worst tires I have ever had. I aslo, have to say that every other car that I have driven with these tires has been the same. I am about to buy tires and I realy like the AVS ES 100s. My friend has them on his Z and they are realy nice. He had the Kumho's before and there is a huge change from them. Good luck man.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with Matt on the A032's, I think you will find the Toyo RA1's are quieter on the street and stick and ware well on the track. Last set went 7k miles with at least a dozen track days and over a dozen autoX's. Plus they are in the same price catagory.

On good performance all weather tires. I haven't been a real big Pirelli fan but in looking at the Tire Rack site the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S has some very good numbers. In the Ultra High Performance All-Season catagory it was rated #1.
In 225/50wr16 $99, 245/50WR61 $106.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I just bought some Falken St-115's. Not because they were more affordable than some, but for the longer life with a treadwear rating of 360! Just to give an example, the Yokohoma AVS has a 180 rating and I believe they are AA for traction. The St-115's have an A rating.

I hate raining on people parades but this is a relatively important topic. UTQG (treadwear, traction, temp) mean absolutely nothing.

1) They CANNOT be used to compare tires of differenent brands. The listings are designed to compare tires of the same brand and type to one another ONLY. I.e. you CAN compare a BS S-03 to a BS RE-750 using them but you could NOT compare a BS S-03 to a Michelin PS2.

2) They ARE assigned by the manufacturer and NOT by the government or independent test labs. It is EXACTLY like asking a kid to grade his own test.

3) They ARE subjective.

4) Treadware rating is totally useless as the numbers mean virtually nothing. If you look at an S-03 vs. an RE-750 you could say that the one with the higher number should last longer. That is ALL you could say. A rating of 150 would be 1.5 times better than 100.

5) Traction is based solely on a straight-ahead wet braking test on government specified concrete and asphalt surface. It does not factor cornering ability. It does not factor Snow or Ice capability.

6) Temperature is based on an INDOOR high-speed test (tire is run at X MPH for X time). The measurement is how much heat was generated and how much was dissipated. This is done on a machine using a test wheel.

These are quite possibly the biggest joke in the history of the govenment. As part of the Magnusson-Moss act manufaturers were to come up with a way that consumers could "rate" their products. As you can see that doesnt work very well.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW I've gotten 16k on my Yokos AVSs with @ 50% left on back and just replaced the fronts due to semi aggressive alignment that scrubbed off the insides. Tires w/16k have done two DEs as well.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2004, 12:51 PM
RI951
Instructor

>>>>>>>>>>>
I mentioned it twice because these cars handle very well with the same size tires. Staggered fitments are nice but in an ideal world I would use an 18X11 all around. There are plenty of people who spend lots of time on the track that will tell you the car feels much more flat and neutral with the same size tire all around. Z-Man would be a good one to ask about it. Answer my question about price and I will tell you what I would look at.
<<<<<<<<<<

I suppose 50/50 weight distribution might favor equal sized tires? Never thought about it much...
Old 04-29-2004, 03:55 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

OK - so the direction of tire size on my '88 951 has changed - I think i am going to lean towards running the same size on all fours - 245/45-16!

Matt H - do you sugggest sticking with the 8 & 9 x16 set-up OR opting for 9x16 all the way around - i have a nice extra pair of 9x16 CS that i can use on the frt. (clearence with the springs will NOT be a problem - i have a full coil over suspension waiting in the wings w/2.5 inch springs)

as for brand and model - inexpensive is all relative - i'd like to stay in the $120/tire range - therefore, the YOKO, TOYO, KUMHO, etc...all have potential.

now- i need to throw this out there even thought you all may laugh!! BUT it must be asked - what about non-directional tires - then i can rotate and get good even wear and longer life - especially if i go with 4 all the same size!?!? so is there any decent performance tires that are not directional?

tom

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions 4 my 951