Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tire suggestions 4 my 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have extras the 9" all the way around would be nice, then the tires will also "look" the same on the wheel. If you know they fit that would be my choice.

Right now you can get a set of BS RE-750s for 129 per tire (they have a 50 dollar rebate so they would be less than 120 per). www.tirerack.com

not laughing but there are almost no UHP tires that are not directional. If they are non directional they are going to be assymetric.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Potenza RE730s. They're good on the track and excellent in the rain, wear well, are Z rated and cost less then SO2s and 3s. They used to be noisy but were redesigned last year. A good-all-round tire imo.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:05 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt H, you just "rained on my parade"!!! You just hurt my feeling (I only have one left). Just kidding. You are right about the ratings. They are kind of a joke, but they are a better than nothing and I think that is what the government was shooting for. Since tire wear ratings are not really as much of a safety issue, as much as it is a guideline for consumers, then I think the effort to make a consistant guildline is not an issue from an economic stand point. With the higher number and advertised quieter ride, you can bet that it is a harder compound tire, and naturally, will last longer. That was my point. I didn't want to come across as an expert. I'm an aircraft mechanic for goodness sakes, not "Joe Tuner"!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"I mentioned it twice because these cars handle very well with the same size tires."

Well I want to ask you a few questions then. I need two new front and have been planning on buying the Fuzions you have been raving about. I noticed the first comment on TireRack came up... it's a 944. I'm guessing this might be the member you gave a free set to? Anywho, $70 a piece for 205/55/R16s is better then the Yoko's (basically my only other choice I liked). Do you think I should change that though and put on 225/50's to match the rears I have put on last month?

"4) Treadware rating is totally useless as the numbers mean virtually nothing. "

Good to hear! I bought some German tires called Fulda Carat Extremos last month for the back (had a great deal put in my hands). Though I loved the fact that all teh translated-from-German website reviews seemed to really like them, the treadwear rating is oly 180!

...Two more quick questions, Matt. Do you think my cheapest bet for the Fuzions would be from TireRack or with a *ahem* discount card? And would it be possible to send me a Godhonest opinion of the Carat Extremos vs. Fuzions vs. the rest? TIA Matt.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Fuzions you have been raving about. I noticed the first comment on TireRack came up... it's a 944. I'm guessing this might be the member you gave a free set to?

Kevin - I have not raved about them at all, I have yet to try them except in controlled tests. I have some other listers I pointed in that direction comment. FWIW - I rarely give away sets of tires and they are generally test tires (as in stuff you cant get here with blank sidewalls) and I have never given a set of Fuzion tires away. If you have the staggered rim setup on the stock wheels *I* like the 205/225 combo. If you go to any of the other choices I prefer the 225/245 and if you are using aftermarket wheels I like the feel/balance of the same size all around.

Two more quick questions, Matt. Do you think my cheapest bet for the Fuzions would be from TireRack or with a *ahem* discount card? And would it be possible to send me a Godhonest opinion of the Carat Extremos vs. Fuzions vs. the rest? TIA Matt.

I can get you the same price as tirerack before shipping etc. It is up to you. I would think you would save a few bucks.

Fulda make a decent tire. You dont see them much here as they are primarily marketed in Europe. That same manufacturer makes tires they sell in the US. The are distributed through the TBC corporation which means you will probably see at NTB stores before too long.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:57 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt H
[B]Fulda make a decent tire. You dont see them much here as they are primarily marketed in Europe. That same manufacturer makes tires they sell in the US. The are distributed through the TBC corporation which means you will probably see at NTB stores before too long.
MATT H - so what else can you say about the Fulda's - i notice they have an inventory of them at my local Tire King - they are fairly reasonable - offer a good tread life and are in the sizes i'm looking for (4) 245/45-16

thanks
tom
Old 05-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

There are better options for the 120/tire you are looking to spend. FWIW, Tire King is a TBC corp. store. which is why they have them.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"Kevin - I have not raved about them at all, I have yet to try them except in controlled tests. I have some other listers I pointed in that direction comment. FWIW - I rarely give away sets of tires and they are generally test tires "

My apologies, Matt. I thought I recalled a thread you started a couple months ago about a free set of Fuzions, prereleased (test tires, yes) for a 'lister to test out. I thought I remembered something about them having to pay for mounting and give reviews back to you guys?? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, I dunno. Oops.

"I can get you the same price as tirerack before shipping etc. It is up to you. I would think you would save a few bucks."

Hey, that would be great. I'd love to accept the offer! Might make the whole process easier in the end as well, as I'll still have to drive the tires to the tire place and have them mounted, etc. I'll PM you in 2 seconds...

"Fulda make a decent tire. You dont see them much here as they are primarily marketed in Europe. That same manufacturer makes tires they sell in the US. The are distributed through the TBC corporation which means you will probably see at NTB stores before too long."

I picked mine up at Tire Kingdom last month and really enjoy them. Though the retail was $255 for the back two mounted, the guy REALLY helped me out and had me out the door for $200. I was very impressed with their service, expediency and willingness to help me out w/out me even asking for all that!! I say give them a try, Tom. I really enjoy the tires myself and would have paid full retail for them now that I know they are good.

The guys at the shop liked the car so much, they all waited 5 minutes outside to see me run her up the street for them

...now a Tire Kingdom customer,
Kevin
Old 05-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Matt H
Race Director

My apologies, Matt. I thought I recalled a thread you started a couple months ago about a free set of Fuzions, prereleased (test tires, yes) for a 'lister to test out. I thought I remembered something about them having to pay for mounting and give reviews back to you guys?? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, I dunno. Oops.

I gave away 3 sets of altered compound S-03s.

I picked mine up at Tire Kingdom last month and really enjoy them.
Tire Kingdom is owned by the TBC corporation, FWIW.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions 4 my 951