Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bad Fuel Pump?

I made it to Hershey from NJ and had a blast in my car. Only running .8 bar of boost but the car felt great.
Its about a 2hr trip and had no problems until my way back. With another 10mins to get to my house, my car all of a sudden just died and then while it was slowing down, it fired up again and I was able to get to within 2 blks of my house before it did it again. I was low on gas and the reserve light had just come on when this happened. I figured that I ran out of gas so I bought some gas, took her to the gas station and filled her up.
This morning I went for a drive again and within 15 mins of driving, with a full tank the car just died again. I popped the hood and saw that the fuel pressure was down to zero. I saw that little by little the guage started creeping up and when I had normal fuel pressure, it started again.
I have an after-market adjustable FPR that I tested and it holds vacuum. I also swapped the fuel damper and that made no difference. 5-7 mins later the car keeps dying and the fuel pressure goes to zero. Fuel pressure builds up and viola, the car starts.
I have swapped DME relays and it makes no difference as there is no fuel pressure, so how will it start!
Am I looking at a fuel pump going south? I did run the gas quite low and talking to some people in auto parts business, I am being told that it doesn't take much dirt to kill a fuel pump. I did not change the fuel filter after the conversion and the car sat with same gas for 5 months.
Any suggestions?
Funy thing is that car ran fine for its first full new gas fill but towards the end is when this problem started.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Raj
Old 04-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raj, I might think about jumpering...I think it's 1 and 4 on the alarm (if you still have it) to see if that cures anything, maybe the alarm module is going south. That's a FREE check at least. Do you have a spare DME to test your present DME with, just to see if the car does the same thing?

The fuel pump has two threaded connections for power right, IIRC...worth a check to see if anything is loose or corroded for a bad connection before you spend for a filter and pump,
Old 04-26-2004, 12:00 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ski, thanks for your reply. I will do the test for the alarm but I just don't see why an acting alarm would cause my fuel pressure to drop to zero momentarily.
I will inspect the setup before I order any parts. I don't think I would worry about the cost of a fuel pump or fuel filter based on how much I paid for my setup :-).
I do have another dme that I will swap with and this will also allow me to try Danno's chips as well.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the alarm and the air bag controller, if "active" (theft or crash) will cut power to the DME for fuel shutoff - no fuel for the theif or fuel pressure in a bad crash.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ski
The fuel pump has two threaded connections for power right, IIRC...worth a check to see if anything is loose or corroded for a bad connection before you spend for a filter and pump,
This is what it was for me. Too bad I didn't find out till it was too late
Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

John, what happened in your case? Can you elaborate.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 04-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The alarm-jumpering trick depends upon whether it's an '86-87 or '88+ harness that's being used in Raj's car. In either case, it would cut power to the DME relay and shut off both the DME and fuel-pump. But....

"I saw that little by little the guage started creeping up and when I had normal fuel pressure, it started again."

This is the mystery part I don't get. Do you mean to say that with the car OFF, and you standing there and looking at the fuel-pressure gauge, it slowly build up pressure all by itself??? If that's the case, something strange is going on here..
Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

sure raj,

My problem was werid and took month's to track down. I could drive the car fine the in the winter month's. When the weather would start to heat up if I would drive the car for just a little while it would be fine. If I was going for a extended trip then the car would just die on me. I could wait 15 or 20 mintues and then it would crank just fine and run again. Very very werid. Especially since it was only when it started getting hotter outside. In the summer month's it would get to were I could only drive for about 10-15 mintues before it would go. Very strange. Anyways it ended up being the connection for the switch. I will post a pic of the culprit in just a sec.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

here is the little culprit right here.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:56 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

another one for size referrence
Old 04-26-2004, 11:58 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

the wires inside I guess when got hot would malfunction. It was a pita cause I already preplaced my filter and pump thinking this was it. Turns out it wasent.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:01 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very ummm James Bond pics... when you on the dyno John?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:10 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

fine smartass you wanna see what its like without the night shot on...you can't see ****. Hang on I will post a pic.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:12 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, nice night shot feature... is that in the camera or software app?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I have them in both. But, just using the camera works fine. You will learn all about nightshot when you watch the cd's I sent you.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Pump?