Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler Pipes Sneak Peak

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004 | 03:03 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Pipes Sneak Peak

I Finally got all the materials in, and I whipped these up for pictures. This is very basic. I just welded them up, ran an angle grinder over the welds to smooth them back down for a nice seamless fininsh. Then I ran a wire wheel over them for a few minutes. They arent perfect. This is the prototype set, and there will be more pics in the coming days as I assemble more.

In the next few days, you'll see a few examples in bare metal with a clear coat over it. You will see three different bare metal finishes: Dull, Brushed, and Polished. All of these will be clear coated. You will also see different powder coating colors, including chrome and gunmetal. I want to try to have something that will appeal to everyone.

Old 04-22-2004 | 03:16 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! How much are you expecting these to cost?
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:16 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

NICE!! Great job Joe... keep up the good work and post all pics possible
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:19 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hummm Looking good ....
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:25 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the encouragement Kev. ; )

Base price is going to be $85. This includes the pipes, powdercoating in your choice of color or clear coated with you choice of metal finish. You will also get 4 Purocil connectors, and 8 hose clamps. Everything you need to install them.

They will be much better looking in days to come. I just wanted to go ahead and get you guys something to look at.

Old 04-22-2004 | 03:37 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good.
Are these for the standard induction system, i.e. fit around the filter box, etc.?
And what is the ID compared to the stock pipes (which for some reason have smaller OD's than the intercooler fittings)?
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:44 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Those look nice!! Can't wait to see pics of them installed... I think there will be a queue to buy those
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:45 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Right now, they are just for cars without the stock AFM. For AFM users, I am looking at three options. I'd like some opinions on what the AFM guys want.

I have three possible choices for AFM guys:

1. A set of intercooler pipes that fits around the stock Airflow meter, but still may not use the stock box. There is just no way of doing it with the box there.

2. An intake pipe that relocates the stock afm, and puts the filter in the standard MAP/MAF location. This will retain all J boot connections. This will allow them to use the pipes design pictured above.

3. A cold air intake system, complete with bypass valve. This will retain all J Boot Connections, and go from the turbo through the hole in the fender, and terminate behind the bumper cover. This will allow them to use the pipes design pictured above.

When I find out what the AFM guys want out of those three options, I will start designing it.
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:55 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm in line for a set of these.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is there such a huge price difference between these and the pipes SFR sells ($350 - $400)? What do the SFR pipes have that these don't?
Old 04-22-2004 | 03:55 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Here are the Pipe sizes:

Turbo to IC: OD: 2 1/8 ID: 2.1
IC to TB: OD: 2 1/2 ID 2.35

The 2.1 inch ID of the pipe is still bigger than the stock 2.0 inch ID of the IC inlet, and much bigger than the 1.8 inch ID outlet of my Garett T04E.

I thought alot about the sizes before I ordered the pipe. I went with 2 1/8 on the Turbo pipe because its still bigger than the IC inlet, and yet not too big that it would significantly add volume to the charge system, which would increase lag. The throttle body pipe is 2.5 because its a good mid point between the ID of the IC outlet and the throttle body.
Old 04-22-2004 | 04:01 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

The SFR pipes are fully show polished, they are stainless, and I think the big $$$ issue is that they are one solid piece, so they have them custom bent on a mandrel bender. I wanted a set for a long time, and I just couldn't justify $400. So after hearing others bitch about it in the same way that I did, I decided to make them myself. These are still mandrel bends, they are just two pieces of pipe welded together. The inside seam of the weld is ground down to promote flow. These will flow every bit as much as the one piece pipes.
Old 04-22-2004 | 04:58 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

IM SOLD!!!!put me down for a set already!im tired of companies over pricing stuff.SUPER AWSOME JOB!!!.the set i would like is #3,since i dont have headlights.its either that or #2,relocate the afm where the headlight bucket used to be.dang im excited about these.keep up the GREAT work.!!
Old 04-22-2004 | 05:40 AM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Originally posted by BoostGuy951

2. An intake pipe that relocates the stock afm, and puts the filter in the standard MAP/MAF location. This will retain all J boot connections. This will allow them to use the pipes design pictured above.
I'd really like option 2... that would be awesome!

Gary.
Old 04-22-2004 | 05:46 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Joe... it sounds like #2 would not only be the most cost-effective way, but also the easiest for you to do! My vote is for #2!

If you can do that, or get pipes that work with the stock AFM with cone filter... I'll might just be looking at a double order from you with the test pipe Might as well save on shipping!!We'll talk about that later though.

Can't wait to see the final pics installed!! I love the look of hardpipes on a turbo'd car. My roomie just installed his polished SS hardpipes on his VR4... though they cost him $900, they look great! LOL
Old 04-22-2004 | 05:51 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Boosty I love you man. I need some bigger ones. Not happy with mine and you are soooo cheap! Can I make a special order? I need an IC to turbo pipe with no banjo. Just a bent pipe. And also need the IC to TB with only a port for the BOV. Umploished bare metal is fine. I will polish them up or coat them. Does your price include connectors you say? What kind? Pics? Again much love for you...

Quick Reply: Intercooler Pipes Sneak Peak