Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022 | 11:49 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 944 Turbo radiator

During the major engine overhaul of my 951, a radiator leak seems to have presented itself. Seems to be in the plastic area. It appears to be the OE radiator, evidence shows it was in car in 07, anyway.

this being a bit unexpected, I’d rather not drop $600 on a new OEM radiator. I plan to take it to a local shop to double check that it is in fact leaking.

so, do these radiators have a general time-based lifespan? If it is leaking and repairable, is this generally advisable?

also, I’ve been poking around, looking at the Chinese-made options, though the specs don’t seem to be exact. Such as from CHR Racing.

any guidance on whether to replace/ repair? And if replace, recommended options?
Old 01-23-2022 | 12:44 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

About 6 years ago, I had a similar issue with my OEM radiator in my 951 too... I was unable to determine a sustainable solution, so had to bite the bullet and buy a new OEM rad, though they were only ~$400 then.
I, too, was looking at the aluminum units, but read they were of poor construction and did not fit well.
Since, I have seen the Wizard radiators, which seem to be work well, but are also pricey @ $600.
https://wizardcooling.com/1986-91-po...5-porsche-968/

As I continue to add more HP, I will be following this thread to see if there are any better solutions.

Old 01-23-2022 | 01:10 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by huskeric
About 6 years ago, I had a similar issue with my OEM radiator in my 951 too... I was unable to determine a sustainable solution, so had to bite the bullet and buy a new OEM rad, though they were only ~$400 then.
I, too, was looking at the aluminum units, but read they were of poor construction and did not fit well.
Since, I have seen the Wizard radiators, which seem to be work well, but are also pricey @ $600.
https://wizardcooling.com/1986-91-po...5-porsche-968/

As I continue to add more HP, I will be following this thread to see if there are any better solutions.
I would lean hard toward all aluminum from anything with plastic, so for the same price, the Wizard unit would get my vote. Assuming fit is as it should be. That seems to be the main issue with the China units. But $600?!? Damn.

Old 01-23-2022 | 06:11 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the Wizard unit. Great workmanship. It _is_ thicker than stock and causes a tight fit between the cooling fan plugs and accessory belts... but it fits. I remember reading an article by the person who worked with Wizard on the dimensions... it’s deliberately larger for extra capacity.

I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Last edited by Millermatic; 01-23-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2022 | 11:00 AM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I purchased a used Wizard radiator with the integrated oil cooler on the bottom from a fellow lister. As mentioned, thicker than OEM but fitment was perfect. Did not have to struggle to make anything fit or bolt on. I don't have an oil temp gauge but considering the size and location I imagine it does a much better job of cooling the oil than the smaller OEM oil cooler.
Old 01-24-2022 | 10:17 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Ordered a new Wizard radiator this afternoon. Hopefully it arrives this week. Would really love to get this car on the road for cars and coffee this weekend. Fingers crossed.

thanks for guidance!
Old 01-25-2022 | 07:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

Just saw this... for future readers, if the leak is at the plastic tanks (where they meet the radiator), you can, as a temporary measure, gently squeeze the clips that hold the tanks on. There's a seal in there (I could not find replacement) that will compress just enough to fix the leak.

My temporary fix is going on two years now
Old 01-25-2022 | 08:57 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Just saw this... for future readers, if the leak is at the plastic tanks (where they meet the radiator), you can, as a temporary measure, gently squeeze the clips that hold the tanks on. There's a seal in there (I could not find replacement) that will compress just enough to fix the leak.

My temporary fix is going on two years now
Good to know! Would have preferred to know that a couple days ago, but whatcha gonna do.

At the same time, the leaks are hard and time consuming to chase down. As much as I’d like to save the $$ on this, after a full engine rebuild, I’m tired of chasing issues, and don’t want the headache of future leaks so I don’t regret the radiator purchase.

for the benefit of those future readers… What type of pressure are we talking about on the tabs? Like pressing with your fingers, or squeezing with pliers?
The following users liked this post:
Garyss (03-03-2023)
Old 01-25-2022 | 10:03 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I used pliers, gently, so as not to break the tabs but squeeze enough to tighten the seal. Pure guessing, really. Sorry I can't be more specific. It's similar to the extra 1/4 turn you make with the wrench or tightening the oil filter by hand... just a bit till it feels right lol

It is holding for now... but, it could start leaking any time.

I will eventually have to take the car off the road, remove the rad, organize the purchase of a new one, wait for it to arrive, & install--all probably during a bout of very bad weather. You did the right thing buying new, of course.

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 01-25-2022 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:04 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Cool. Well, Wizard is telling me 4-6 week lead time right now, so if I get all the rest buttoned up before it ships, I may end up trying to get the old one to seal back up and reinstall in the meantime.
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:14 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I remember testing mine in the bathtub after bending the tabs... I forget exactly how I did it but I recall involving an old bicycle tire tube & hand pump.. I probably cut the tube, clamping it on both open radiator ends and put about 10-15psi to check for leaks. Something like that

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 01-26-2022 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-26-2022 | 09:14 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I remember testing mine in the bathtub after bending the tabs... I forget exactly how I did it but I recall involving an old bicycle tire tube & hand pump.. I probably cut the tube, clamping it on both open radiator ends and put about 10-15psi to check for leaks. Something like that
makes sense. Thank u!
Old 01-27-2022 | 02:42 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Ouch. Long wait on the Wizard. Like lots of things these days, I suppose. Don’t think I waited that long two(ish) years ago.

I think you’ll rest easier with it in there than wondering how long a fix will hold. It’s a nice unit. Again... it’s a snug fit... but it does fit. The extra thickness puts the cooling fan plugs pretty close to the accessory belts.

And the drainage port on the bottom is a heck of a lot more convenient than the plug on the original unit.
Old 01-28-2022 | 02:35 AM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Might this do in the interim... Aluminum RADIATOR For PORSCHE 944 2.5L TURBO 1986-1991 / S2 3.0 NA 1989-1991 MT
Old 01-28-2022 | 10:10 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Just watched CSI with my daughter… so this makes me think of something a serial killer might do(?). Or maybe some kid of weird 951 organ support system?

found and seem to have fixed the leak, in any case. A couple firm squeezes with the channel locks, and the leaking seems to have stopped. It was the seam with the plastic and metal rear of radiator behind the switch plug.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo radiator