Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just bought a 84 manual steering rack for my 951...now the fun begins.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 84 manual steering rack for my 951...now the fun begins.

When I had my car shipped the shipping company tied the car down by the sway bars,,big no..and they popped out lower controll arm bushing moved forward against the powersteering pump and broke the bracket comes down from the timing assembly!!! than you Nation wide shipping who contracted Class Size auto transport based out of Las Vegas( do not have them ship your porsches) Needless to say they are denying it and will have to sue them in small claims court but in the mean time I thought it wil be cheaper to buy a manual rack and install that and just dump the power steering...just got one on e bay..total cost plus shipping $ 203..it's off an 84 944 and looks to be in great shape!! now the fun of istalling begins..if anyone has any tips they can give ..I really want to do this without removing the brake cylinder and booster..is it possible? If anyone is interested I might have anouther one available..I came across 2 before but were a bit more than 200 so I bought this one...bit will be happy to help if anyone else wants to go to manual..tips on install procedure wellcome here!!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully you got the intermediate shaft as well with it? It's different length between PS and manual.

Sam
Old 04-18-2004, 01:22 PM
vetblack
Instructor

You will need the correct manual steering shaft (from the firewall to the rack). You'll need to have your tie rods lengthened. An 86 turbo has the same length as the early manual racks, but the 87 and later cars have a wider span (about 2-3 inches). If you use the stardard tie rods, you'll have a huge amount of tow -in with the rods adjusted out all the way... Many porsche race places can weld on the extra length...

Good luck. If you are putting it on a track car, you'll love it...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Thanks bro's..I was hoping to find the tie rods some where ..do you know who sells them? I know lindsey racing welds and they do a great job but just wanted to see what my options are ..and yes Sam you are right I will need the intermediat shaft..any suggestions on how to swap those without taking off the brake cylinder and the other stuff....
OH and guess what vetblack...I am going to be like Poppeye..It's my daily driver/track car...I can't afford 2 so I made one...I am looking forward to fun in the parking lot!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 04:09 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

I just did this with my 86 951. I had it easier because I could use the tie rods. They made tie rods for the 87 and up in manual for the Turbo Cup cause that had manual steering. You will need the shaft if you didn't get it yet. The job calls for two people unless you want to make it harder on you. From the top you will be able to reach the bolt with few extansions and a 13mm shocket. Then from the bottom you will bend the heat shield back a bit so you can fit your hand and a 13mm small wrench there you hold the bolt whole the other person turns it. I also found it easier to install and remove in steps like just remove the rack then the shaft and the same backwards. Ask if you need anymore details as I can help you out.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:35 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Guys,
How heavy is the steering when
going manual ? Is the effort less
than uplugging the power steering
pump ?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it is less due to a slightly lower ratio on the manual rack.

Sam
Old 04-18-2004, 04:56 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

I think the effort would be less since the power steering design is for it to be power steering. Manual isn't that bad at all I think it's better with an manual. Have you ever driven an 83 944 with a manual rack?
Old 04-18-2004, 07:10 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

a friend of mine disconnected the pump on the power rack in his RX7, that thing is HELL ON WHEELS to parallel park. i think having a manual rack is a lot better, it's lower ratio and you're not turning parts that were meant to be powered. i can say that there is no way they could even sell a car with steering as hard as his with it disconnected, so i assume manual rack is much better.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:05 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Yes I manual rack would be a lot easier to turn. I have also kept the parts from the car so if I do ever sell the car I will then give the owner the items I have removed if he wants to go back to stock.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 AM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Daris - please let me know how the swap goes and what you did about the tie rods!? I too have an '88 951 and thinking about putting a manuel rack in for the daily/track car - (Sam Lin - this is the eagerly waiting for your coil-over suspension!) I've heard that with a manual rack the road feel is much better, handling is improved and of coarse the motor is working less (one less belt and pulley)

thanks
tom
Old 04-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I am just gathering the parts right now but I will keep you posted and I may be back to bother seb928 for some tips....
I think I will love the feel of it..from what I heard it is pretty easy to park with too.......my fronts are only 225' but I didn't buyit for the parking lot...plus it frees up some horespower..maybe??
Old 04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Darius Juca
No problem feel free to pm me as I am more on the all model 944 boards here on rennlist and check the turbo every few days. Parking isn't bad but the car isn't for parking

Tom
They sell longer tie rods for a manual rack that some of the Turbo Cup cars came with. The feel for the road is great and that was with bad control arms if you guys want to check my post about suspension/steering problems on the all 944 models board it will explain what problem I had with the suspension. I'm waiting on some steal arms from Travis as a temp fix right now as I don't have the money to get new control arms at 375$ each mine are not rebuildable since the pocket has to much wear on that is why my rennbay kit failed so fast because the first time they were already damaged.

Big thanks to Travis from Rennbay which helped me out a lot. Can't wait to get those steal arms and put them in the 951 and get it driving again.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

SEB928 where can you get the tierods for the turbo cup 87 and up..would like to get the store's name if possible..thank you..At Lindsey racing they weld them and ALSO they said they do some modification to the tie rod ends becouse while they seem fine in a straight line in hard turns they tend to pull to the sides..I am not sure if it's the same with the turbo cup tierods(probably not) most likely they addressed that problem...SEB928 did you have any problems with steering..did you buy the cup tierods or have Lindsey modify them? I recall you saying you love the feel so it must work good ...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:45 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

What is the small shaft from? I have an 86' and I'm looking for a parts list to build it..
TIA

Quick Reply: Just bought a 84 manual steering rack for my 951...now the fun begins.