Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just bought a 84 manual steering rack for my 951...now the fun begins.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darius The only place I have heard them being sold by was at a Dealer they would have to look up the part for you. Probably run you 125-150each I guess or more. I didn't need them since I have an 86 the early tie rods will fit right in on mine since I have the early offset. You guys have the late offset 87+ so you would need the Turbo Cup ones off an 87+ samething the 86 would have a early offset. I don't know if there is any in stock at a dealer since it is more of a rare part but they should be able to get it for you. I believe what Lindsey Racing means because you can make the early tie rods fit but they are out of toe I think and they are at the very end so that would cause bad steering. I haven't heard any problems with the Turbo Cup tie rods not being good. I'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure they would be fine maybe Lindsey Racing can order them for you. I don't know the prices for either of them just a guess. How much does lindsey racing want?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Lindsey is very cool..only 100 to modify your tie rods...just thougth turbo cup tie rods are ..you knw..turbo cup ...but at that price..maybe lindsey is a better way...I will keep you all posted on all the info I get....BTW I love this site!!!! man you guys are cool and all theinfo I get saved em A LOT!!..THANK YOU Rennlist People!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:45 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Check out your local dealer or see if lindsey offers them. I know they sell almost everything a lot of stuff that's not on there site and they have great prices.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Wow, cool topic! I just realized that I have bought the wrong tie-rods (new). I am also replacing my power steering with manual steering.

I think I will go to a shop where they can weld in some inches. Does anybody know the exact length the tie-rods should be for an 87 and up 951? I could make a guestimate by looking at my power steering rack.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Frank just send the tie rods to Lindsey racing.....they have a site hit them up call them an talke to them..if your car is an 87 and up just sent the new tierods and have them do their thing...they will extend them but make sure they also do the tie rod end work ....so you don.t have toe out..I'm sure they will theya re awesome tuners and know what they are doing....
Old 04-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Originally posted by Darius Juca
Frank just send the tie rods to Lindsey racing.....they have a site hit them up call them an talke to them..if your car is an 87 and up just sent the new tierods and have them do their thing...they will extend them but make sure they also do the tie rod end work ....so you don.t have toe out..I'm sure they will theya re awesome tuners and know what they are doing....
This is the reply I received from Lindsey:

We used to make/modify tie rods for that conversion but no longer do.
Can someone confirm that only the left tie-rod assembly is about 2" too short!?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's really not tough to have done locally, just cut the current rod and weld in a little section of extension.

Sam
Old 04-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Originally posted by Sam Lin
It's really not tough to have done locally, just cut the current rod and weld in a little section of extension.

Sam
That is what I was thinking, but it would be nice to have some confirmation about the length I have to weld in before starting welding.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just use a set of homemade toe plates, set the threaded end adjusters in the middle of their range, cut the tie rod, hold wheel at zero toe, and measure the gap. If you're not exact, the adjusters have enough range anyway.

Sam
Old 04-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Will try! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 84 manual steering rack for my 951...now the fun begins.