Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuild time(?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 12:17 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Heck yeah! With the rebuild head, all new bearings and pistons and the upgraded turbo, I’m betting on a noticeable improvement. Mostly fingers crossed, knocking on wood and praying to God for a successful start up when the time comes. Set a date of Jan 8 for that now. We shall see!

just gapped and installed both the speed and reference sensors and spark plugs this morning.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:24 AM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear I’m not the only one having to “sneak out” to the garage to get things done hahaha
Old 12-29-2021, 07:21 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Spent most of the day out in the shed today working on the 951, and made some progress. Turbo is in. What a PITA that was. Meaning trying to get the exhaust bolted up, which is partly done. . Should have done that while the engine was on the ground in the engine bay. Also, should have left the rack out until the turbo was in. Hopefully the hard part is done. Radiator and fan are back in. Engine ground wires are also bolted up. Another PITA for such a small thing. Broke the coolant temp sensor on the engine, so ordered a new one from Ian. Costly little part, but it was old anyway.

sounds like a lot of negative, but I’m feeling good about todays progress. Lot of stuff I would do in a different sequence if there’s ever another reason to do this… which I hope never happens.

Next steps probably finish bolting up the driver side exhaust pieces and get the rest of the exhaust in place.

you know, I’ve said it to friends in town, but not here… I sold a project ‘77 911 targa, and bought this car, because I have little kids and didn’t want to spend all my time (and money) rebuilding the 911. There’s more to that story, but we will leave it at that for now. I was messing around with that one, doing everything but drop and rebuild the engine, because I was intimidated by it. After this? Could have done that 911 no problem. Live and learn. This has been an incredibly educational project.

one thing about the 951: there aren’t many of them out there now, but those that are left are in the hands of true enthusiasts. In my experience, good people who are very knowledgeable and happy to help!
Old 12-30-2021, 03:46 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Please double check the orientation of the turbo coolant pipe (the one with the sensor). Shouldn't it be positioned to the front of the car!?
Old 12-30-2021, 04:48 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I feel all your pain over the many design flaws on the 951's.

I rebuilt my exhaust with v-band. The rack goes in after all other parts.

Good luck on the rest. 👌
Old 12-30-2021, 08:26 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
Please double check the orientation of the turbo coolant pipe (the one with the sensor). Shouldn't it be positioned to the front of the car!?
thank you! You’re right. Got it switched now. I derided that pipe yesterday. Has some significant putting. Going to have to fill in those pits with gasket maker or something.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 295 Posts

The choice for order of operations has definitely increased the pain level here. One of the biggest benefits of having the engine out is that the exhaust (manifolds, crossover, turbo and outlet) and everything that is currently being installed (wiring, induction, fuel) can (and should) be completed while on the stand. About the only things that should not be installed are the AC compressor, the alternator and the distributor cap. The alternator and cap however can be wired and tied back. Next time
Old 12-31-2021, 08:48 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Well… after getting the front half of the exhaust installed yesterday. All but the single pipe to the rear and the headers, I “learned” that this heat shield is one for the AOS.

is there a way to install this without pulling the exhaust from the downpipe?
Old 12-31-2021, 08:59 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Glue Guy
Well… after getting the front half of the exhaust installed yesterday. All but the single pipe to the rear and the headers, I “learned” that this heat shield is one for the AOS.

is there a way to install this without pulling the exhaust from the downpipe?

If you must, it might slip in, but it's a mega pita..
Old 12-31-2021, 09:33 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

I’m struggling with it now. Is it a necessary part?
Old 12-31-2021, 10:21 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

I’m struggling with it now. Is it a necessary part?
Your AOS will melt if you don't mount it.
So, sorry, it needs to be there.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:21 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Was afraid of that. I think I’ll be making. Some mods to this shield to make it a little more user friendly, and help it slide onto the Dow pipe screw if I loosen it.

spent the morning fanning up some new engine cooler lines and getting those installed.

now it’s time to help clean the house before friends come over tonight. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2021, 01:44 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Was afraid of that. I think I’ll be making. Some mods to this shield to make it a little more user friendly, and help it slide onto the Dow pipe screw if I loosen it.

spent the morning fanning up some new engine cooler lines and getting those installed.

now it’s time to help clean the house before friends come over tonight. Happy New Year everyone!
Did you remember the shield around the turbo - oil delivery plug?
Old 12-31-2021, 01:45 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by ealoken
Did you remember the shield around the turbo - oil delivery plug?
what’s it look like? If we are talking about the multi-piece shield over the balance shaft cover, then yes.

Last edited by Glue Guy; 12-31-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:21 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

what’s it look like? If we are talking about the multi-piece shield over the balance shaft cover, then yes.

down left.

Quick Reply: Rebuild time(?)