Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Whats required to build up bare block

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whats required to build up bare block

I am trying to gather up all the parts I will need to build up a bare block from scratch. So far I have:

1. A 968 bare block (damaged - the top deck will have to be skimmed due to careless shipping)
2. Mahle pistons
3. Carillo Rods
4. 3.0 crank

What do I need to completely build up the bare block and install the 2.7 8v head.

I know I need the following:

1. Tensioner - new?
2. Rollers - new
3. Crank pulley - used?
4. Balance shafts - used?
5. Belt cover - used
6. Head studs and Bottom Studs
7. Some kind of bearing set for the crank
8. A gasket kit?
9. Oil pickup - used?
10. 968 sump - used?
11. Oil squirters - used?

I have a discarded 2.7 bottom end lying around, what parts can I use from that, as the bores are scrored and I have no use for it apart from scavenging parts. I am also scavenging the oil squirters from a cracked 968 block that I got from another rennlist/ 968 net friend. He has most of the bits still from stripping his engine down for parts to get some money back on the used engine he bought and I need to know what to get from him, and what I need to order new from Porsche.

Regards
Nick
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Nick, all bearings, gaskets, rollers, studs should be new. Oil pump should be examined before install. Tensioner, oil pan, oil pickup, can be used as long as they are checked and oil pickup is for particular oil pan. Crank pulleys can be used...
I'm not sure if you can slavage oil squirters by pulling them from block. At some pointe I had the oil squirters part # (930...) but I can't find it now, perhaps someone here has the part #.

The 2.7l head requires 951 exhaust valves and springs. I would O-ring it as well. You will need to do something to mate the 951 intake manifold (round) to the intake ports (oval).

Try to use factory parts as much as possible!

Quick Reply: Whats required to build up bare block