Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Group Buy Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:37 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oi-punx
[B]Can anyone post a picture of what these new bullet mufflers look like? I got in on a group buy last year and got the Ractive brand oval muffler which I like a lot. It is seamless and the finish is first rate.

We are not using this muffler anyore.The new Bullet is a little different.
Old 04-18-2004 | 11:00 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I just installed my cat-back exhaust. It was far from being a "bolt on" affair. It didn't take long to figure out that it was too long to fit in place. I put it together on the floor of the garage next to the stock system and quickly determined that everything lined up except the flange that connects to the cat-bypass was about 2 inches further inward. On the stock system the distance between the hanger mounts and the flange was about 2" shorter than the one on the SFR set up. I also noticed that the flange was warped - possibly by the welding. Lucky for me I have a pipefitter friend who also tig welds. We chopped a 2 inch piece out of the pipe and rewelded the pieces together. After we made the modification it bolted in no problem. I was wondering if maybe I got the wrong parts (my car is a 1989 944 Turbo) or maybe there was an error made when measuring up the parts for welding? Did anyone else have a problem with their system?

Other than that I'm perfectly happy with everything else to do with the system. It's appears to be of very high quality and sounds good too. I even think my car is running stronger than before. Only verified by my butt dyno but I could swear it's pulling harder. I'll be sure to post some actual dyno numbers when I go back to see how much power it's making. I put down 280 rwhp/307 lb/ft torque at 15 lbs of boost on a Mustang Dyno. I have since added new chips, bigger injectors and the SFR cat back system.
Old 04-19-2004 | 12:46 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I installed mine yesterday on my '87 951. There were a couple of things that kept it from being direct bolt-on:

1. SFR forgot to pack the copper gasket. I had to go down to my local muffler shop and pick one up.

2. The tabs on the pipe that attach to the hangers near the cat flange were about 1.5-2" too far back. I had to reverse the hanger (ie. remove the hanger from the torque tube and reverse it) to get the hanger moved back 2" to line up. Once I did that, it bolted up fine.

3. I had a hell of a time getting the pipe to go all the way into the muffler at the slip joint. I don't have a 3" pipe expander, so I had to do it by brute force, using a little anti-seize lube. I got it in far enough, past the slits on the side of the muffler tube, but the muffler is still about 1" too far back,
as the hangers at the back are stretched back to connect to the muffler. Not ideal, but it works. I am planning to get a pipe expander to help get the pipe in further.

4. When the car is jacked up at the rear with the weight off the rear tires, the left side axle shaft rests on the exhaust pipe. Don't think this is a problem, it just touches it. The factory pipe is crushed there to give more clearance.

All-in-all, it took me 2 hours instead of 1, an required some improvisation and brute force, but it's in. It looks great, sounds good, not too loud and I'm happy. Now I want the downpipe/test-pipe...
Old 04-19-2004 | 01:16 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Still waiting on mine Hope it will be here tomorrow.....
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:29 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Still waiting on mine too, though I was told it was going to ship this past Friday
Old 04-19-2004 | 09:35 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Well, we're also on the right coast.....a LONG trip for them to come from San Diego......none of that 2 days delivery stuff.....
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:27 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brad-cam
[B]I installed mine yesterday on my '87 951. There were a couple of things that kept it from being direct bolt-on:

1. SFR forgot to pack the copper gasket. I had to go down to my local muffler shop and pick one up.

2. The tabs on the pipe that attach to the hangers near the cat flange were about 1.5-2" too far back. I had to reverse the hanger (ie. remove the hanger from the torque tube and reverse it) to get the hanger moved back 2" to line up. Once I did that, it bolted up fine.

This is what you have to do with the 87' and later cars since our jig was built off an 86'.We have an installation guide but we forgot to include these for the 87-89 cars.

3. I had a hell of a time getting the pipe to go all the way into the muffler at the slip joint. I don't have a 3" pipe expander, so I had to do it by brute force, using a little anti-seize lube. I got it in far enough, past the slits on the side of the muffler tube, but the muffler is still about 1" too far back,
as the hangers at the back are stretched back to connect to the muffler. Not ideal, but it works. I am planning to get a pipe expander to help get the pipe in further.

It is a tight fit but it eliminates the muffler slipping off the piping when you are driving it.

4. When the car is jacked up at the rear with the weight off the rear tires, the left side axle shaft rests on the exhaust pipe. Don't think this is a problem, it just touches it. The factory pipe is crushed there to give more clearance.

It will do this when you unl;oad the suspension.when the suspension is loaded it will not touch.
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:33 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoloRacer
[B]I just installed my cat-back exhaust. It was far from being a "bolt on" affair. It didn't take long to figure out that it was too long to fit in place. I put it together on the floor of the garage next to the stock system and quickly determined that everything lined up except the flange that connects to the cat-bypass was about 2 inches further inward. On the stock system the distance between the hanger mounts and the flange was about 2" shorter than the one on the SFR set up.

This is how it is built since it is built for 86' cars and you have to turn your hanger around and move it back a little on 87 and later cars.

I also noticed that the flange was warped - possibly by the welding. Lucky for me I have a pipefitter friend who also tig welds. We chopped a 2 inch piece out of the pipe and rewelded the pieces together. After we made the modification it bolted in no problem. I was wondering if maybe I got the wrong parts (my car is a 1989 944 Turbo) or maybe there was an error made when measuring up the parts for welding? Did anyone else have a problem with their system?

I really wish you would have called or emailed us.You should not have had to cut the pipe, add an extension and re-weld.As a matter of fact you are the first person that has ever done this and we have sold about 250 of these units in the last 5 years.Now you will end up with a system whoses mufflers sits back further then it is supposed to be.Next time it might save you some time and aggravation if you send a quick email or phone call.Take care.
Old 04-19-2004 | 04:36 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Tim,

I think you misunderstood what we did. We did not add an extension. When assembled your system was too LONG. We put the SFR system beside the stock system and lined up the hangers at the muffler. Everything followed along great until we got to the second hanger (up by the flange). Both hangers lined up perfectly however the distance from the hanger to the flange on the SFR system was 2" further away than the stock one. When we bolted the SFR system up without cutting the pipe both hangers were 2 inches behind their mounts on the body and the muffler was sticking out a good 2" past the back bumper. By cutting a 2" section out of the SFR pipe up at the flange end and then rewelding the sections together we a) got the hangers to line up perfectly and b) got the muffler tucked under the bumper similar to the stock system.

We spread the slip fit on the muffler and forced the pipe in past the slots. Do you understand now what we did? How else would you have solved the fit problem?

Last edited by SoloRacer; 04-19-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:37 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

SoloRacer, I had this similar problem, but rather than removing 2" of pipe, I moved the hanger back 2" to line up with the SFR exhaust's hanger tabs. Tim has explained that this is necessary on '87 and later cars. The hanger is mounted to the torque tube, and is removed, reversed and reinstalled in the new position with the removal of 2 nuts.

I agree that the muffler still sits about 1" too far back for my liking. I'm going to try to get the pipe inserted further into the muffler to close some of this distance, but it seems to work ok as is.
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:34 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Got home today for lunch and what to my wondering eyes did appear, but my SFR cat-back and cat! Pulled it out of the box for a moment, but then my regular busy schedule sent me off to eat and back to work.....going to try and install at least the catback tonite.....

I have an 86 so I may not have to do the hangar flip
Old 04-20-2004 | 06:12 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Mine's due Thursday
Old 04-20-2004 | 10:44 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got mine today...thanks Tim.
Old 04-20-2004 | 11:14 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Worked on mine for 2 hours tonite......had to put the old one back in. Going to have to spend another hour at least to get the pipe to fit into the muffler right...so looking at another 2 hours of work I'd guess. Just a word to those who might try to install it when they only have a couple of hours.

My front hangar wasn't hooked up at all I don't think it came off really easy once the bolts were out....should it be really tight up in there even with the stock exhaust? And the ears on the new one will still be off by at least an inch....wondering if someone has messed with my exhaust before....Shouldn't be hard to loosed the U-bolt and move it to match up, but that's really going to hold it up in there very tight. Does that sound right Tim or anyone?
Old 04-21-2004 | 12:18 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally posted by turbo944
Worked on mine for 2 hours tonite......had to put the old one back in. Going to have to spend another hour at least to get the pipe to fit into the muffler right...so looking at another 2 hours of work I'd guess. Just a word to those who might try to install it when they only have a couple of hours.

My front hangar wasn't hooked up at all I don't think it came off really easy once the bolts were out....should it be really tight up in there even with the stock exhaust? And the ears on the new one will still be off by at least an inch....wondering if someone has messed with my exhaust before....Shouldn't be hard to loosed the U-bolt and move it to match up, but that's really going to hold it up in there very tight. Does that sound right Tim or anyone?

Has your clutch been changed? Whe you do a clutch all of this stuff comes off and has to be reinstalled.Sometimes it is not installed exactly at the same point from where it was taken off.

Quick Reply: SFR Group Buy Update