944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Group Buy Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004 | 02:36 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Since the mufflers we are using ar so tight of a fit we will make sure we bump them up in the future for easier install.Instead of cutting from the piping length we suggest elongating the slits on the side of the muffler.This will help make the install much easier.
Old 04-27-2004 | 03:50 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I did a bit of that as well, although I still did end up cutting off about 1" of pipe to ease it as it was about 2" too far back when installed for a test fit. I was able to take a block of wood and a hammer to get most of the other inch, but it still needs to go in another 1/2" or so...

But it sounds really nice....just wish I had some more underpasses and tunnels to drive through to listen to it
Old 05-14-2004 | 12:44 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Turbo944,

I have not installed by catback on my 87 951 yet. Do you think a specialty Porsche shop can do the job? Or is it a bit of a black hole?
Old 05-14-2004 | 09:18 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I did mine myself in a couple of hours. If you are inclined to do a bit of work, it's not hard at all. Heck, ANY decent exhaust shop could easily install this. If you do it yourself, get and spray some PB Blaster on the bolts and nuts before you take them out. That will make removal a breeze. Wal-Mart for about $4 a spray can or something in the automotive section.

There are 8 total bolts that have to be undone and redone, 4 at the flange and 2 on each of 2 hangars. An exhaust shop would have everything on hand to remove and replace those bolts (no special torque needed or anything) and to be able to do any pipe fitting required. I wouldn't be surprised if some Porsche shops farmed out such work to an dedicated muffler/exhaust shop nearby.

Up where you're at, there are quite a few listers, you might see if some want to get together and have a wrenching party and do that as part of it.

I get a lot of satisfaction of doing everything on mine I can (and saving lots of labor money!), so I wasn't going to hand it over to someone else....but that's me

Let us know how you like it once installed! Aside from wanting to cut my tip back just a bit (it collected a bit of rainwater!) I love it. The sound is IMHO at this point, just about perfect. When you don't want it to be loud it isn't intrusive and when you want to wind on it, it makes some awesome sounds. I love hearing the burbling on overrun when you accelerate then let off the gas....soooo kewl....
Old 05-14-2004 | 10:42 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

I talked to a muffler shop here in NC and they said it would be illegal for them to remove the cat, so it's a job that has to be done at home.
Old 05-14-2004 | 11:07 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

That is the catback he's actually referring to. As for the cat, there are shops around that will do it...generally performance shops. The one (and only) I talked to here would do it if you wanted them to, no questions asked. Same as finding shops that will help to pass a car in states with emissions and other tests where you aren't quite in compliance.

Yes it is illegal to do so....even at home. However along with my testpipe I purchased the cat so if I was paying someone to do it I could do so and have them put in the cat and go home and put in the testpipe if I wanted to.
Old 05-15-2004 | 02:03 AM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim if you read this please look at my downpipe thread
Old 05-15-2004 | 10:05 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Hope you get your downpipe working Brett!!!

Did you measure the flatness of the flance on the downpipe and the one on the turbo? Kind of sounded like one of them maybe warped....if you can just see a bit of black around one side edge it maybe that the flanges just didn't line up there, the most important part being that the copper gasket is mashed properly around the 2 round center areas where the exhaust passes through. If you take it off and look at the copper gasket, does it have marks where it's been mashed evenly around the circumference of the center hole?
Old 05-15-2004 | 11:57 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally posted by turbo944
Hope you get your downpipe working Brett!!!

Did you measure the flatness of the flance on the downpipe and the one on the turbo? Kind of sounded like one of them maybe warped....if you can just see a bit of black around one side edge it maybe that the flanges just didn't line up there, the most important part being that the copper gasket is mashed properly around the 2 round center areas where the exhaust passes through. If you take it off and look at the copper gasket, does it have marks where it's been mashed evenly around the circumference of the center hole?

The downpipe uses factory crushrings.It also comes with some new hardware that does away with the studs.
Old 05-16-2004 | 07:42 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Just to report finally had time to put the test pipe and cat back on this weekend. The preformance improvement is unbeliaveable. The car will now run smooth at 2000rpm and pullup from there -- not fast mind you but in traffic in town much smoother. The boost has improved from 1.6 to 1.7+ on the factory gauge. It is a little louder than I would like and I agree with others that state that the tip is too long. I have the round muffler and the muffler hanger is in the correct position( I did have to turn the forward cat back bracket around and move it back a little) but the tip sticks out just about to the back edge of the bumper. All in all very satisfied with the preformance but may cut a little off the muffler tip.
Old 05-17-2004 | 01:12 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Awesome! Still haven't gotten a chance to get my testpipe in, but I'd say it will help mine a bit more as well.

I'm actually happier and happier with the volume of mine. Not too obtrusive, but enough to let you know it's there and when you get on it, the sounds are sweeeeeet.

Sounds like your installation was about like mine...I'll probably do the same. Cut off about 2" on my tip to get it where I'd like it.

Glad you are enjoying it!
Old 05-17-2004 | 04:16 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I love the catback too - volume is perfect, tip is a little far back, but I'm living with it. Here's a pic that shows the tip location on mine...

Old 07-03-2004 | 11:55 AM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Bradcam,

Thanks for the picture. I cut 2" off my tip as a result of your help. I guess I am ****, but before I install the muffler, I have two last questions. 1) Does anyone have a vibration from the catback touching the frame? 2) Does the catback touch the frame or suspension when driving aggressively over dips and bumps in the road? My car is near perfect now, and I don't want any vibrations or clanging when I run it hard. Thx
Old 07-03-2004 | 12:05 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Not having any issues with mine whatsoever that I've found. Nice and tight with both hangars in action on it. Never heard it hit or anything either. Get lots of "nice sound" from people who ride in it or hear it from outside as well

Going to try and do the testpipe today...after seeing that collapsed pic the other day, I'm really anxious to see if mine is that way or not and to see what kind of performance difference I get from installing a fresh pipe.
Old 07-03-2004 | 01:06 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

We need to start a new group buy.......I need a test pipe now.

Quick Reply: SFR Group Buy Update