New member – lesson learned with CV axles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 04:56 PM
kiwi74
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New member – lesson learned with CV axles

Hi everyone!

This is my very first post on this great forum. Have been reading it for years as I was learning about 944. Always wanted one ever since I’ve seen one as a child in the 80s back in Europe.
Last year in November I bought a really nice 1987 Turbo. Low mileage with just about perfect interior (sport seats are in great shape and no cracks at all in the dash).

A few weeks ago went for a first long drive as the car came out of the storage. Really enjoyed driving it for a good hour and a half and then I started to hear clicking sound from the driver’s side axle. It was definitely a failed CV joint sound. I ended up getting the car towed as I did not want to get stuck somewhere in a bad spot without the drive.

I could not find the tow hook. Thought my tool kit was complete but tow hook is not in there,.... Should it be in the tool kit or is it stored somewhere else?

As soon as I got home I went to the trusty Rock Auto and ordered two complete axles with CV joints and boots all installed. Why not! They were about $60 Canadian for each! What a deal!!! They were made by Cardone.
Got them, installed them and went for a first drive. Car drove very smoothly and vibration that I felt when accelerating hard was gone! I was very happy! I decided to do one hard pull in the first gear. As the car was accelerating in the first gear at about 5,000 rpm…. BOOM!!! Snapped one of the axles! Luckily it was near my home so my friend towed me with his car (tow hook would be useful again).

I did a bit of research on Cardone axles and wow!!! Wish I did my research before buying them!!! What a junk! I ordered a pair of GKN axles and now I’m waiting for them to arrive. Just posting my experience in case someone else is considering cheap axles.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:15 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like you have some better axles on in the way, but when mine were clicking, I was amazed that repacking them with new grease worked great.
The following users liked this post:
trivgar (04-13-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:26 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I bought a Cardone axle... it lasted 400 kilometers (and half a track day) before one CV exploded. Complete and utter garbage product.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 PM
four0four
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Did exactly this to my NA this past weekend. Cleaned it all up and everything looked healthy (maybe one bearing looked like it saw some heat cycling? wonder if that was the click). Took the car out and thrashed it - no clicking.

If you still have your originals - Give them a shot with new grease. I bet they'll be fine.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:27 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Vibration while accelerating? Maybe there's an answer in here somewhere....My shifter vibrate like mad when hard accelerating and I thought it might be due to the new short shifter linkage from Only944.com...or, since I refreshed the transaxle with new 75-90 oil lube and new transaxle cooler. I didn't refresh or replace the CV's or axles. Anyone feel that my symptoms might be CV axles needing replacement?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM
kiwi74
Track Day

Thanks guys!
Yeah, the new axles (for the short 10 km or so while i had them) have completely fixed the vibration. The symptoms were similar to having the wheel spin and bouncing as the tire is fighting for traction (open diff,.. hehe).. iIt would happen only when accelerating hard and nearly in any gear.

I should have cleaned the CVs before ordering the new ones. Now i have lot's of spares! hehe.

I'm planning a lot of work on the car over the next few years. So i feel OK having the new axles on the car. Next on my list is steering! It's very loose and i have a slight leak. Will rebuild the rack, update the tie rods and there is a bit of play in the u-joint. That looks like PITA to change and have no idea where to get u-joints for 944! research to be done!
Old 04-07-2021, 12:43 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to the world of the 951.
The aftermarket has some good parts for our cars, but axles obviously aren't one of them. I once installed a Cardone axle on my wife's Nissan and it vibrated from day one. Pulled it off and installed one from the dealer. Problem solved and lesson-learned...
Stick with the well-known supply houses (Paragon, 944 Online, Pelican, Rennpart, etc.) and you should get good stuff.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:00 PM
kiwi74
Track Day

Thanks Jerome! Appreciate the supplier names! I knew about some of them but did not know about Paragon and Rennpart!
Old 04-10-2021, 03:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey kiwi74 should you need a hand with anything, send me a PM.. I'm in Etobicoke
Old 04-12-2021, 10:08 AM
kiwi74
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Hey kiwi74 should you need a hand with anything, send me a PM.. I'm in Etobicoke

Thanks Dan!!! Much appreciated. I am in Etobicoke too! Royal York and Eglinton area.

By the way, new axles arrived from 944Online. pre-greased so it was super fast to throw them on and go for a ride. did an oil change as well and will be sending the old oil to Blackstone for analysis.
the car looks great but after spending some time under it I wonder if it could speak what stories it would tell! under trays have been installed by a caprinter!... and i think I'm missing an aluminum tray that should go to the back of the engine.

Last edited by kiwi74; 04-12-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: New member – lesson learned with CV axles