Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Snapped pressure plate bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:52 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snapped pressure plate bolt

On installing my pressure plate, I snapped one of my bolts off. It was the last one, all others were torqued down. Was able to remove the rest. It won't come off with vice grips. They were new bolts. I think it bottomed out in the back of the hole, and my torque wrench wasnt working properly. Options to remove, should I take flywheel off and have a welder try the weld a nut trick? There is about half an inch sticking out.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 504 Likes on 311 Posts

Regardless of the method to remove the broken stub, it'll probably be easier with the flywheel out of the car.
The welding trick is a great one, it'll heat things up in addition to providing traction. Heat is your friend!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Weird that you can't get it with vice grips, since it's new. Maybe file flat spots on the sides to get a better grip? Are they factory bolts -- not sure how you could have bottomed it out? With half an inch sticking out, welding a nut on should work well. Honestly, I'd probably pull it out of the car and try welding it first (since I have welders handy). The last thing you want to do is chew up the stub to the point where you'll need to drill... (hmmm, maybe that's second to last after screwing up the flywheel itself....). Just don't use a hardened steel EZ-Out in there -- it can snap off and make everything worse...

Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Weird that you can't get it with vice grips, since it's new. Maybe file flat spots on the sides to get a better grip? Are they factory bolts -- not sure how you could have bottomed it out? With half an inch sticking out, welding a nut on should work well. Honestly, I'd probably pull it out of the car and try welding it first (since I have welders handy). The last thing you want to do is chew up the stub to the point where you'll need to drill... (hmmm, maybe that's second to last after screwing up the flywheel itself....). Just don't use a hardened steel EZ-Out in there -- it can snap off and make everything worse...
Not sure if it was a factory bolt, ordered them from pelican or paragon can't remember. Using a kep pressure plate, and had the flywheel surfaced, maybe that combination was enough to make a bolt too long for a hole. It didn't really snap, just twisted and broke right before it was torqued.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moalaska
Not sure if it was a factory bolt, ordered them from pelican or paragon can't remember. Using a kep pressure plate, and had the flywheel surfaced, maybe that combination was enough to make a bolt too long for a hole. It didn't really snap, just twisted and broke right before it was torqued.

Post a picture of the bolt if you can. I once got the wrong PP bolts from Paragon. When I called them on it, they were embarrassed and said their supplier made the switch without telling them -- and it went unnoticed until I discovered it. They overnighted factory bolts, and were great about it, so no complaints there. But, if you got yours from that batch, it might explain why they weren't right. I'd triple check they are right before buttoning it all back up. Better now than after everything is together...
Old 07-24-2020, 02:48 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

1/2" sticking out should give you enough to grind 2 flat spots opposite each other and remove with an open-ended wrench.
If that doesn't work, you'll still have enough bolt to weld a nut onto.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

I was able to get a better grip on it with vice grips, it was pretty hard to turn out though. Are pressure plate bolts and CV bolts the same? I may go to the local fastener place and see if they have some 8.8 bolts. I think my torque wrench wasnt working properly and over torqued them.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:13 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts

That is not the bolt for a turbo. That is the bolt for a 944 NA.

The proper bolt for a turbo is 999 510 012 02.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:16 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
That is not the bolt for a turbo. That is the bolt for a 944 NA.

The proper bolt for a turbo is 999 510 012 02.
Is the proper bolt grade 8.8 or higher?
Old 07-24-2020, 07:34 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

You are not going to find the proper bolt at your local hardware store. It is a 12 point triple square head with the head being about half the height of an allen (cheesehead) bolt. I don't know the hardness.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

You are not going to find the proper bolt at your local hardware store. It is a 12 point triple square head with the head being about half the height of an allen (cheesehead) bolt. I don't know the hardness.
Does it really matter if it's cheese head or Allen head? The ones I removed when I pulled the clutch were allen head. I think the only difference between the na bolts that I have and the 951 ones are the head.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Exactly!
Old 07-24-2020, 07:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Does it really matter if it's cheese head or Allen head? The ones I removed when I pulled the clutch were allen head. I think the only difference between the na bolts that I have and the 951 ones are the head.

The turbo bolts have a thinner/shorter head. That's the key....
Old 07-24-2020, 07:42 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The turbo bolts have a thinner/shorter head. That's the key....
I understand that, but does it make a difference? The ones I pulled out we're 8.8 Allen bolts. And holding down a KEP pressure plate.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:49 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

I understand that, but does it make a difference? The ones I pulled out we're 8.8 Allen bolts. And holding down a KEP pressure plate.
Yes, it does make a difference. Use the wrong bolt and you may have interference at the bell housing.

There is a reason that Porsche specifies two different types of pressure plate bolts.

That said, it's your money and your time, not mine.

Quick Reply: Snapped pressure plate bolt