Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020 | 10:46 PM
willieg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 wiring question

I want to completely remove the factory chassis wiring. I have already removed the ignition. I have already replaced a new engine harness (Lindsay racing) can anyone tell me where I can find info on running the car with minimum wiring? This is a track car only. I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 switches and a push button. I'm sure this has been done to many 951's. Looking for assistance please.
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:02 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the Porsche wiring diagrams from the workshop manual & what year is your car ?
I guess if it is purely a track only car then lights & interior stuff can go to start with.
Ignition circuit can be replaced with a on-off switch and push switch to start the engine if you really wanted to throw the ignition switch away. you'd have to grind off the steering lock function though so probably not worth it.
Mostly you will have to look at what you need to keep to enable running and ditch everything else.
I modified my wiring to remove some small stuff but not really sure exactly what you need to keep for a minimum wiring circuit.
Old 04-22-2020 | 07:18 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

When I did my racecar I thought about a push-button switch, but decided against because it does add a tiny but if security, You will want to disable your steering lock. I did mine and it makes it a whole lot easier to push it around, align it, and most of all load it in the trailer... I have a wireless remote for the winch in one hand and walk along side it steering it with the other... As far as the wires to pick or eliminate, I took my factory wiring diagrams to Kinkos.. then I blew them up, and highlighted all the wires that I eliminated.. Not sure what year your car is but keep in mind if it has airbags the car will not run without them unless you jumper two wires on the round connector that plugs into the airbag controller.
Old 04-26-2020 | 12:25 PM
willieg
5th Gear

Hi, thanks for the response.
Yes, I do have the factory w diagram for my ‘89... I have it taped to a wall in the garage...
Yes, it is a full on RC, far from street legal... cage, 5points, ricaro’s, Lindsay go fast kit... so minimum... if I need lights, I’ll be happy flipping a switch. If I need lights at night, I will pin the lights up as they have no motor.
I have removed the ignition/lock and dash & all fact. gauges. We have installed a new full engine management wire harness from LIndsay R.
I'm hoping someone can tell me what are the minimum needed, I am still trying to get familiar with the diagram as electrical is Greek or me. RnR ing the engine harness, turbo, etc. is that RnR ing this is more like surgery.
Any ideas or direction is much appreciated, thanks for you input. All the Best!
Old 04-26-2020 | 12:32 PM
willieg
5th Gear

Hi, thank for your response. Igni/steering lock is gone...
I too have a blow up of the w diagram. Now I have to interpreted it...
Car has no bags, gone when cage went in... but thanks, and info is good as I am very green to this car.
You mentioned highlighting the wires you removed, any idea the wires you kept??
Thanks again for your time.
All the Best!
Old 04-26-2020 | 12:35 PM
willieg
5th Gear

Oh, it’s an ‘89
Old 04-26-2020 | 04:55 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have the engine harness already done then all you need is a minimum of other stuff for a track car. I would toss all the stock wiring (it weighs a ton and its pretty old.). the only stock functions that you really need are brake lights, fuel pump and dash. on the optional side are wipers, windows and defroster.
the stock system is complex enough that either you keep it all of toss it all, its difficult to just save bits a pieces.
Old 04-26-2020 | 06:30 PM
willieg
5th Gear

Thanks for your response...
SO, 12v power to all??
DME
Fuel Pump
Brakes
Dash
Windows
Blower... (one speed)
IT’s 12volt and relay off a switch to whatever is needed??? Is it that straight forward???
Thanks for your time.
w
Old 04-26-2020 | 07:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by willieg
Thanks for your response...
SO, 12v power to all??
DME
Fuel Pump
Brakes
Dash
Windows
Blower... (one speed)
IT’s 12volt and relay off a switch to whatever is needed??? Is it that straight forward???
Thanks for your time.
w
Kind of!
You still want the ECU to control the fuel pump so that it automatically shuts off the fuel pump when the engine stops - safety in a crash!
The O2 sensor heater is also powered by the fuel pump circuit (undocumented Porsche feature!).
the rest of it is very straight foward.
Old 04-26-2020 | 08:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

You can also get fancy and install an aftermarket power distribution module (PDM).

There are several different manufacturers offering these, here is an example (I have no experience with this brand, but they provide a good explanation of the benefits of a PDM):

https://www.aimtechnologies.com/aim-...bution-module/
Old 04-27-2020 | 07:28 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Droops83
You can also get fancy and install an aftermarket power distribution module (PDM).

There are several different manufacturers offering these, here is an example (I have no experience with this brand, but they provide a good explanation of the benefits of a PDM):

https://www.aimtechnologies.com/aim-...bution-module/
I like the PDM concept....maybe one day it will be affordable!!

Quick Reply: 951 wiring question