Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VIDEO: 944 Turbo Cup collection!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 01:21 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts
Default VIDEO: 944 Turbo Cup collection!

Truly amazing and unique collection and a true Porsche fanatic😀👍

https://youtu.be/k0MG4Bf7qN0
The following 3 users liked this post by PF:
18kplat (03-03-2020), Jay Wellwood (03-03-2020), mj951 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 03:54 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Saw That Vid sweet! What Is also on YouTube is the Entire Rothmans Turbo Cup Series... (7 Races I think) That was run here (Canada and Niagara Falls area) It shows these exact cars when they were Brand New! I think it is the 1988 Season … A Year With Big Mustaches and Big 80's Hair... It was the year that Scott Goodyear won the Championship... What's Really cool is that you can see the power difference in Scotts Car compared to Richard Spenards car... I think it is race 3 at Mosport… Scott and Rick get the same exit out of Turn 5 and Scott goes blowing by Richard... and Richards in-car cam shows him throwing up his hands like "Where the hell is he getting this power"? LOL
Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

😀 Yes I have whatched all those races a few times, great racing!
About Goodyears car at that race. I have read that he had mechanical issues during qulifiyng (broken wastegate) He lended a wastegate off a spectators 951 and started from the back. It clearly had a stronger spring ie higher boost pressure. From what I know he did not get a penalty.
I am no expert on the canadian series but I am sure Jim (oddjob) or someone else can chime in and varify if what I read is true.
Anyway a truly great race😃👍

/Peder
Old 03-03-2020, 06:04 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PF
😀 Yes I have whatched all those races a few times, great racing!
About Goodyears car at that race. I have read that he had mechanical issues during qulifiyng (broken wastegate) He lended a wastegate off a spectators 951 and started from the back. It clearly had a stronger spring ie higher boost pressure. From what I know he did not get a penalty.
I am no expert on the canadian series but I am sure Jim (oddjob) or someone else can chime in and varify if what I read is true.
Anyway a truly great race😃👍

/Peder
You are referring to the Mont Treblanc Race.... I saw an interview with Scott Regarding that race... The way the Series was designed the Sanctioning body would Give the competitors DME's and KLR's Every Race, This way no one could Cheat with computers. Scott went out During Qualifying and the car would not Rev over 3K Rpm... They swapped out the computers and He wanted just one lap to qualify and they wouldnt give it to him Thats why he was so pissed off in that Race and was banging on the steering wheel as he was BLOWING by other cars... I know people who know the mechanics on that car and the word on the street was he had kind of a "push to pass" Button" .. Some of the other cars would get and increase in power by hitting the window switch... I also heard of mechanics shoving the guts of a ball point pen down the tube that leads to the CV..... But that Mosport race was just funny... If I find the Video and the time in the video Ill post it... I think it was the one where there was a dog on the track... LOL
Old 03-03-2020, 08:23 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

At 20:54 Its Hilarious... Goodyear just motors by him... Spenard is better in the corners but Goodyear has motor... Race1 At Mosport
The following 2 users liked this post by GPA951s:
Jay Wellwood (03-03-2020), SamGrant951 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 PM
18kplat
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Great story and video.......Thank You for posting !!!
Old 03-04-2020, 02:52 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
You are referring to the Mont Treblanc Race.... I saw an interview with Scott Regarding that race... The way the Series was designed the Sanctioning body would Give the competitors DME's and KLR's Every Race, This way no one could Cheat with computers. Scott went out During Qualifying and the car would not Rev over 3K Rpm... They swapped out the computers and He wanted just one lap to qualify and they wouldnt give it to him Thats why he was so pissed off in that Race and was banging on the steering wheel as he was BLOWING by other cars... I know people who know the mechanics on that car and the word on the street was he had kind of a "push to pass" Button" .. Some of the other cars would get and increase in power by hitting the window switch... I also heard of mechanics shoving the guts of a ball point pen down the tube that leads to the CV..... But that Mosport race was just funny... If I find the Video and the time in the video Ill post it... I think it was the one where there was a dog on the track... LOL
Yes they had alot of questionable things going on to get an advantage 🤫 Changing computers was made in all the countries that had the series and continued with the Carrera Cups aswell. Maybe they still do?!
The mechanics that worked on my -89 Cup (German series) said some had "overboost" hidden via wiper washer stalk so not visable but scrutineers found most of the cheating and penalized. Euro Cups do not have window switches but manual windows. Should be the case on northamerican cars aswell?
In the video you posted you can see Goodyear use a swith effectively and its the ABS on/off switch. I guess he felt ABS was better in some braking zones and not in others, pretty cool😀
Old 08-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Euro RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Truly amazing and unique collection and a true Porsche fanatic😀👍

https://youtu.be/k0MG4Bf7qN0
What's cool is that just after seeing this video, I received a tip in Summer 2020 that Ron was going to sell off the cars (except for two cars for him and his wife). Ironically, I raced against Ron back in the early 2000's in PCA at Mosport -- so I remember his cars (I was racing a real 1992 Carrera RS Clubsport at the time). I went through the 11 cars that Ron was selling to identify the two best -- and I bought them.

I've just put one of those cars (ex-Cam Champion / Bill Adam) up for sale on Rennlist and it even includes the jacket Ron Tietjen wore in this video (it was Bill Adam's actual Rothmans series race jacket):
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1423593#post19590824

Quick Reply: VIDEO: 944 Turbo Cup collection!