Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why do our cars have TURBO lag? others dont.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 PM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than going through the hassle of a turbo swap or relocation,
cheaper method: header wrap, Electronic Valve Controller & DME / KLR chips. Also aftermarket Intercooler pipes & good solid connections
or MAF should help. I'm going through these issues with my 89,
I think its mainly the bigger K28 Turbo.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

OT

Just a note on Bob Howard’s car. All the fabrication and layout of the intake and exhaust was done by Tom at Norwood Performance. He was also responsible for all of the pluming some of the wiring throughout the car. I have a lot of great pics throughout the building of that car. Tom is now working on his own project and is no longer working at Norwood Performance. James and the other craftsman at Norwoods are continuing turn out great works of high performance art.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:52 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Apexx
OT

Just a note on Bob Howard’s car. All the fabrication and layout of the intake and exhaust was done by Tom at Norwood Performance. He was also responsible for all of the pluming some of the wiring throughout the car. I have a lot of great pics throughout the building of that car. Tom is now working on his own project and is no longer working at Norwood Performance. James and the other craftsman at Norwoods are continuing turn out great works of high performance art.
Would you share those pics ? Please
Old 04-10-2004, 01:06 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David Floyd
Would you share those pics ? Please
Yep but they are on my other computer. Until then here are a couple of other pics of Tom's fab work.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry no more hijacking of the thread after this
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2004, 02:30 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Having been through the Rx7 twin turbo to single turbo conversion and upgrading, I can tell you that the idea they had of "sequential, twin turbos" is complicated to manage by vacuum. Everything in the Mazda is controlled by a vacuum system (refered to as "happy trails" or "rats nest" plumbing). However, I'm not certain after having gone to an aftermarket EMS (Haltech 36k) that you couldn't have controlled it through the EMS and electro mechanical switchs and relays.

But, I think that it might not be that hard to put on 2 small parallel turbos, perhaps ball bearing units, and build a custom exhaust for it. With 2 cylinders driving each small turbo, you won't have any lag, but you'll still have all the power up top of a bigger single turbo.

Gordon

Quick Reply: Why do our cars have TURBO lag? others dont.