Guard LSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 AM
Krustyclown
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guard LSD

Hi,

I´m trying to get in contact with Guard Transmission to get an quotation for an LSD but they are not responding to email? It could be that it is just an old style company with old style guys and they hate computers Are there other dealers that can provide prices and deliver these units?

Regards, Bjorn
Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Try Quaife…? Or Just get this one.. I know Lindsey ships international

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...309-170WK.html
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Krustyclown
Hi,

I´m trying to get in contact with Guard Transmission to get an quotation for an LSD but they are not responding to email? It could be that it is just an old style company with old style guys and they hate computers Are there other dealers that can provide prices and deliver these units?

Regards, Bjorn
I know that Matt @ Guard Transmission has had some health issues lately as posted on their Facebook page, but I think he's OK now.

Perhaps you should try calling them? I know there is a time difference, but it would be worth it.

IMO Guard makes the best clutch-type limited slip diffs out there (Quaife is a torque-biasing diff, not LSD, same with the WaveTrac). Educate yourself about the differences (if you don't already know this) and figure out what you want.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:07 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
I know that Matt @ Guard Transmission has had some health issues lately as posted on their Facebook page, but I think he's OK now.

Perhaps you should try calling them? I know there is a time difference, but it would be worth it.

IMO Guard makes the best clutch-type limited slip diffs out there (Quaife is a torque-biasing diff, not LSD, same with the WaveTrac). Educate yourself about the differences (if you don't already know this) and figure out what you want.

Good luck.
Guards does both LSD and torque biasing. Might want to discuss with them what might be your better option.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Krustyclown
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Thank´s for all answers , I have full respect if Matt haven´t got the time or the enegy to answer me emails if he has health issues.

My car is going to be 100% track car and I want the best LSD out there...and that is the Guard LSD 50/80

Hopefully he will get back to me soon.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Krustyclown
Intermediate

If anyone have a 951 Pro-Guard Limited Slip Differential just lying around, please let me know
Old 09-17-2019, 11:46 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If anyone have a 951 Pro-Guard Limited Slip Differential just lying around, please let me know
Nope, but I have a Quaiffe torsion with very little use. (150 bhp 8V NA)
Trans had gear failure so I disassembled to check/clean and it's currently disassembled.
Great shape though......., anybody with skills to reassemble, going cheap.

T
Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

Regards, Bjorn
I don't believe Matt sells direct to customer you have to go through a dealer which are listed on his site.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I don't believe Matt sells direct to customer you have to go through a dealer which are listed on his site.
+1, they don’t deal direct with the customer though they have answered questions and offered advise to me in the past over the phone. I think I paid around $3.5k installed at one of their listed dealers a couple of years ago. They needed the transmission out of the car and the process looked quite involved to me and required the use of special tools, bearings, seals, shims and lots of measuring.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
+1, they don’t deal direct with the customer though they have answered questions and offered advise to me in the past over the phone. I think I paid around $3.5k installed at one of their listed dealers a couple of years ago. They needed the transmission out of the car and the process looked quite involved to me and required the use of special tools, bearings, seals, shims and lots of measuring.
Yes, setting up a 944 diff is a tedious process, especially because you have to pull the gear cluster every time you remove the diff. If one has the tools and the skills and the patience, there is a detailed walk-through of a full 944 trans rebuild here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...age-heavy.html
Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
Yes, setting up a 944 diff is a tedious process, especially because you have to pull the gear cluster every time you remove the diff. If one has the tools and the skills and the patience, there is a detailed walk-through of a full 944 trans rebuild here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...age-heavy.html
It's not all that bad. I guess after the first hundred or so transmissions, it feels not so complicated... Bruce and Sean's write-up is excellent. It helps a lot to have the tools needed to measure turning torque and backlash.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact Bill Rader at Bill Rader Motorsports (BRM) in Vegas about the guard diff.

Quick Reply: Guard LSD