Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019 | 04:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
This thread has diverted from its original intent which was to see if others have used a 968 maf on a 951 application with success.
Part of the purchase of the MAF from VR. Should include some basic trouble shooting. So when I reinstall it. I will contact John and go through some trouble shooting with him. Opposed to afm the VR maf probably needs everything on the car in perfect condition and requires more work from me than I initially wanted to invest.
Vitesse does offer extensive support and trouble-shooting. You shouldn't imply otherwise. Availing yourself of that support would be much more productive than your current approach. You say your car runs fine but doesn't idle well. By your own admissions, you don't know why. By your own admissions, getting to the bottom of it takes more work than you wanted to invest. But rather than making the effort, you decide on your own and declare to the world that all high-output MAF systems are flawed; that 80lb injectors can't be controlled enough to idle well; that Vitesse doesn't test its products; that Vitesse doesn't offer trouble shooting; that your 30+ year-old car can't have latent issues; that it is not possible you made a mistake during the install; that an unhappy Lindsey customer is proof your Vitesse system is flawed, etc., etc., etc. All of those statements are just false and potentially damaging to a reputable vendor, regardless of the original intent of the thread. The moderator of this forum has already called your comments irresponsible, yet you keep doubling-down with more. I do admire your unwavering confidence and conviction, however, especially in the face of overwhelming reasons to have neither.
Old 09-23-2019 | 04:46 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Vitesse does offer extensive support and trouble-shooting. You shouldn't imply otherwise. Availing yourself of that support would be much more productive than your current approach. You say your car runs fine but doesn't idle well. By your own admissions, you don't know why. By your own admissions, getting to the bottom of it takes more work than you wanted to invest. But rather than making the effort, you decide on your own and declare to the world that all high-output MAF systems are flawed; that 80lb injectors can't be controlled enough to idle well; that Vitesse doesn't test its products; that Vitesse doesn't offer trouble shooting; that your 30+ year-old car can't have latent issues; that it is not possible you made a mistake during the install; that an unhappy Lindsey customer is proof your Vitesse system is flawed, etc., etc., etc. All of those statements are just false and potentially damaging to a reputable vendor, regardless of the original intent of the thread. The moderator of this forum has already called your comments irresponsible, yet you keep doubling-down with more. I do admire your unwavering confidence and conviction, however, especially in the face of overwhelming reasons to have neither.
Well sir, I have reached out to John on plenty of occasions. The last time was right after I installed the VR MAF and the dme took a dump. We confirmed it was the dme and he said a few words that didn't ring well with me. He said this diagnostics session is usually changed at $90 per hour.
I laughed it off but, didn't feel comfortable calling him back after that. As if he didn't want to be bothered.
So before you start attacking me you should know a few fact. Besides that, I don't need some VR groupies reprimanding me.
If you don't like the discussion. You can simply stay out of it.
Old 09-23-2019 | 05:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Jimbo, the moderator of this forum has already admonished you for making irresponsible comments, so I will indeed just let him do his job. I wish you well.
Old 09-23-2019 | 05:39 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The vehicle is completely stock. Only mod besides the VR MAF is an MBC. The injectors are I believe the 80lb high impedance injectors. I made it clear to John that I didn't want to hack the wiring. So no resistors are installed.
this could very well be the culprit. high impedance injectors without the resistor pack on factory DME will cause injector drivers to overheat. Which would explain rough idle as there is no load. I would highly advise installing resistor pack to save the life of your DME.
Old 09-23-2019 | 06:35 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by shortyboy
this could very well be the culprit. high impedance injectors without the resistor pack on factory DME will cause injector drivers to overheat. Which would explain rough idle as there is no load. I would highly advise installing resistor pack to save the life of your DME.
Thanks. That is initially what came to mind. I thought that it was the low impedance ones that needed resistors though. These are high so I don't think they needed them.
Old 09-23-2019 | 08:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 518 Posts

The driver should be ok with higher impedance. It's when you put a low z injector on a high z driver that you get heat/current problems.

However the way the two types of injectors open and fire is different, but presumably that was accounted for in the tuning.
Old 09-24-2019 | 12:06 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
The driver should be ok with higher impedance. It's when you put a low z injector on a high z driver that you get heat/current problems.

However the way the two types of injectors open and fire is different, but presumably that was accounted for in the tuning.
I was thinking about changing the injectors to Bosch EV14 because I hear there are lots of counterfeit S/D 80s around and its hard to tell the difference. Only problem I see is that they offer a 72lb and a 90lb. I'm not sure the 02 sensor can compensate that much. Could use the 90s and go back to a 2.5 bar regulator to get it closer.
Old 10-11-2019 | 12:14 AM
Thejetman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are that done with the maf kit. Would you sell it? I'm in the market for one.
Old 10-11-2019 | 10:20 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Thejetman
If you are that done with the maf kit. Would you sell it? I'm in the market for one.
The MAF is running better after driving the car several miles. So I'm going to stick with it for now. I do have a Auto authority MAF with J piping but, No chips. If your interested I can let it go for $200.

Quick Reply: MAF conversion