Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 11:20 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
He has to sell a system that works pre installation period. Said person becomes a subcontractor and not a parts seller. QC is a vital part of distribution. Nobody sells a system that hasn't been tested. It doesn't become my problem it's his problem.
A MAF setup cannot be completely tested until its on YOUR car. The VR setup does work well and odds are that something other than the MAF is the cause. We know this from tons of experience. I think it is irresponsible to throw around these accusations unless you can prove it is a faulty product and just saying the car is pristine is not enough. These cars are 30 years old.
The following users liked this post:
schip43 (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
A MAF setup cannot be completely tested until its on YOUR car. The VR setup does work well and odds are that something other than the MAF is the cause. We know this from tons of experience. I think it is irresponsible to throw around these accusations unless you can prove it is a faulty product and just saying the car is pristine is not enough. These cars are 30 years old.
Pretty sure most of us tend to agree. These are "old cars, with old electronics and wiring harness! Crap is bound to happen ... don't shoot the messenger as it were. .
Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you missed the point where I reverted back to afm and the car operates as the factory intended. So continued discussion should be surrounded around the maf not operating correctly. Or its more sensitive to slight variation than an afm. Or it needs tweeting to get it to work right. So please lets get this , its the cars fault out of the equation. Than the discussion can be more fruitful.
This is my second VR system. The first one ran flawlessly and I enjoyed it for many years. This newer setup is very different and I'm sure probably improved over the years. I'm not happy with the idle its providing. Besides this the car runs strong.

Also the system is brand new. It was sourced all from one place including the injectors.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

... but did you adjust the idle screw?

The MAF and ECU still must work with the rest of the plumbing.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:43 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
... but did you adjust the idle screw?

The MAF and ECU still must work with the rest of the plumbing.
Im trying to get the idle dialed in as best as possible before I install the new JME cam I purchased. FYI, if your looking for the best cam money can buy. He only has 3 billets left. Then he is off to retirement and history. His cams alone are worth about 50 hp at the same boost levels. Work of art. Johns stuff is awesome too but he better get this sorted out..
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you missed the point where I reverted back to afm and the car operates as the factory intended. So continued discussion should be surrounded around the maf not operating correctly. Or its more sensitive to slight variation than an afm. Or it needs tweeting to get it to work right. So please lets get this , its the cars fault out of the equation. Than the discussion can be more fruitful.
This is my second VR system. The first one ran flawlessly and I enjoyed it for many years. This newer setup is very different and I'm sure probably improved over the years. I'm not happy with the idle its providing. Besides this the car runs strong.

Also the system is brand new. It was sourced all from one place including the injectors.
I get the point. Do you know how many guys have stated this exactly like you did and it was not the MAF? The MAF setup requires proper operation of several things that do not matter as much with an AFM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I get the point. Do you know how many guys have stated this exactly like you did and it was not the MAF? The MAF setup requires proper operation of several things that do not matter as much with an AFM.
It seems like a common issue like in this FS ad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/porsche-944....c100033.m2042
Im not going to give up just yet because I really would like for it to work. I"m going to go over everything once more and see what happens. If you have any recommendations where and what to look for LMK thanks.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems like a common issue like in this FS ad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/porsche-944....c100033.m2042
Im not going to give up just yet because I really would like for it to work. I"m going to go over everything once more and see what happens. If you have any recommendations where and what to look for LMK thanks.
What are the mods on your car, so that we all can get a better idea of your setup. Are you on the stock cycling valve and Wastegate? You mention injectors, do you you have lo impedance or high impedance injectors? If high impedance, do you have the proper rated resistors installed to be used on the factory dme? I get your point, regarding factory working properly, but with all performance mods, it takes a bit of adjustment to make it work properly. That's why we're all here to help.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:34 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

The vehicle is completely stock. Only mod besides the VR MAF is an MBC. The injectors are I believe the 80lb high impedance injectors. I made it clear to John that I didn't want to hack the wiring. So no resistors are installed.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

ok, what is going on with the idle that you don't like?
let's start there.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Engine Idle is low on startup and sometimes misfires around 750 rpm. When the engine warms up the idle drops and hovers around 600 rpms. Startup when the engine is warm is difficult and must be done with adding fuel with the accelerator. Driving there is a hiccup off idle. The car drives fine off idle all the way to redline.
Funny thing is that I can smell fuel at idle from the exhaust. So it may be rich but I cant be sure because I currently don't have a way of measuring via a WB. In my mind those two situation rich and low idle point me too the injectors not delivering fuel properly.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

What happens if you screw the throttle idle bypass all the way closed?
Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

You posted a link to someone selling a Rogue MAF, sold by Lindsey Racing, because he was unhappy with the idle.

You have a Vitesse MAF. They aren't the same thing, at all, fierce rivals actually.

Lindsey's limited ability to support Rogue's products is yet a further complication. To point to a Lindsey product as proof that your Vitesse MAF is flawed is just unfair and wrong.

You are arguing that McDonald's makes bad hamburgers because you once saw a guy who didn't like a Burger King Whopper he bought from a Roach Coach.

If this is really about getting help with your car, post pictures of the installation; post a video of the idle; tell us what you did to set the idle; post the MAF voltage at idle; post a log if you have one; tell us what testing you have done.

Everyone here --to a person-- wants to help, but they can't help if you don't let them.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
You posted a link to someone selling a Rogue MAF, sold by Lindsey Racing, because he was unhappy with the idle.

You have a Vitesse MAF. They aren't the same thing, at all, fierce rivals actually.

Lindsey's limited ability to support Rogue's products is yet a further complication. To point to a Lindsey product as proof that your Vitesse MAF is flawed is just unfair and wrong.

You are arguing that McDonald's makes bad hamburgers because you once saw a guy who didn't like a Burger King Whopper he bought from a Roach Coach.

If this is really about getting help with your car, post pictures of the installation; post a video of the idle; tell us what you did to set the idle; post the MAF voltage at idle; post a log if you have one; tell us what testing you have done.

Everyone here --to a person-- wants to help, but they can't help if you don't let them.
This thread has diverted from its original intent which was to see if others have used a 968 maf on a 951 application with success.
Part of the purchase of the MAF from VR. Should include some basic trouble shooting. So when I reinstall it. I will contact John and go through some trouble shooting with him. Opposed to afm the VR maf probably needs everything on the car in perfect condition and requires more work from me than I initially wanted to invest.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread has diverted from its original intent which was to see if others have used a 968 maf on a 951 application with success.
Part of the purchase of the MAF from VR. Should include some basic trouble shooting. So when I reinstall it. I will contact John and go through some trouble shooting with him. Opposed to afm the VR maf probably needs everything on the car in perfect condition and requires more work from me than I initially wanted to invest.
LO L,well I too thought it was about using the 968 MAF, but whatever. :And if you did buy a system new from VR?? LOL well of course asking him for help ... should have been your first step.

But hey that is not what you did but ... whatever . So welcome to the world where "everybody is an expert!" Which is not to say some aren't (uh not me to be sure!) But I would suggest a slight step "sideways' with figuring out what the heck is going on??? You say it's running rich at idle and you can smell fuel?? Well that tell's something ie to much fuel at idle but how rich is to rich?? if you can smell fuel, it can't be 14.7 but is 14 to 1, 13 to 1 12 to 1 or richer still?? Knowing how rich it is at idle would be useful information?? And while admittedly a step sideways adding a Wide Band 02 sensor ... would be helpful! ANd it could save your motor down line cuz you know vacuum lines break and vacuum hoses pop of?? It's a thing cuz you know crap happens just a thought, good luck going forward, keep us posted..

Quick Reply: MAF conversion