Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock chips OK with manual boost control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 PM
zmf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stock chips OK with manual boost control?

Folks -- if I can tap into the collective wisdom with a simple question. I've made minor mods to an '89 95, going to manual boost control (Lindsey dual port) with a 3 bar FPR and Fabspeed exhaust. With the cycle valve deleted, is there any problem running with stock chips, which are actually Weltmeister Stage 4 chips installed by the previous owner back in 1998?

Without going into detail, the expected source for modified chips has sent chips either failed to start the car, or won't function for more than a day. Major bummer, and the shop that has been performing other work on the car is totally frustrated and wants the car gone.

My question is not whether the stock chips will realize the full potential of the mods, but rather whether they'll cause damage/problems with the cycle valve out of the loop. I'd like to drive (as opposed to tow) the car home, and then finish optimizing engine management myself.

Since I've got two boost gauges and an AFR gauge on board, I don't expect problems, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:23 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

There are others much more knowledgeable than I, but from what I have learned it would not be a good idea as the OEM, i.e. Porsche chips, are not mapped for the different fuel, etc. that would be required and also are not tuned for other items you may have. To run higher boost you also need to upgrade injectors and get a 3 bar FPR.

I could be wrong though, guess depends on how much boost you want to go to... FYI.. the stock boost gauge in the cluster is very inaccurate, get a dedicated boost gauge.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by zmf
My question is not whether the stock chips will realize the full potential of the mods, but rather whether they'll cause damage/problems with the cycle valve out of the loop. I'd like to drive (as opposed to tow) the car home, and then finish optimizing engine management myself.

Thanks.
Should be able to limp the car home, just stay out of high boost. The chips will assume a certain level of boost, fuel octane rating, injector size/pressure. Any changes you make that the chip isn't expecting will alter your air fuel ratio. The engine will be able to run on just about anything from 10:1 to 16:1, but it won't run very well. Going from 2.5bar to 3bar fuel pressure will make it run richer, but if the injectors are the same, the car should still run. With a manual boost controller, you won't know how much boost it will hit, so turn it down and don't blast home.
Get it home safely and then sort out the tuning.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:22 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by zmf
Folks -- if I can tap into the collective wisdom with a simple question. I've made minor mods to an '89 95, going to manual boost control (Lindsey dual port) with a 3 bar FPR and Fabspeed exhaust. With the cycle valve deleted, is there any problem running with stock chips, which are actually Weltmeister Stage 4 chips installed by the previous owner back in 1998?

Without going into detail, the expected source for modified chips has sent chips either failed to start the car, or won't function for more than a day. Major bummer, and the shop that has been performing other work on the car is totally frustrated and wants the car gone.

Since I've got two boost gauges and an AFR gauge on board, I don't expect problems, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
It all depends on If your Weltmeister chip in the klr has eliminated overboost protection or not. Being its a stage 4 setup, it may have. If you have the stock chip in the klr computer and the Weltmeister in the dme than you're fine. Either way you can turn down the boost using the mbc and make it home fine.

The afm can sense additional air and can compensate for light upgrades like exhaust so that shouldn't be a worry.
Whats a little confusing in your post is. Do you have a boost controller and a dual port wastegate. Because those are two different items.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:37 PM
zmf
Instructor

Thanks, folks. What turned out to be a bit of mess due to defective and/or wrong parts from the company we were working with started out as part of a larger project designed to increase the reliability (larger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) of a (mainly) track car with a blown head gasket (fresh gasket, studs, milling)-- and to add a minor bump in hp.
When I get the car home, I'll work with another outfit to get chips that hopefully maximize performance from the current engine configuration.
Just wanted to make sure the DME wasn't going to freak out if it lacked connection to the cycle valve.

And yes, dual-port wastegate and manual boost control have been installed. From what I've read, single-port wastegates are a pain to regulate with manual control.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by zmf
Thanks, folks. What turned out to be a bit of mess due to defective and/or wrong parts from the company we were working with started out as part of a larger project designed to increase the reliability (larger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) of a (mainly) track car with a blown head gasket (fresh gasket, studs, milling)-- and to add a minor bump in hp.
When I get the car home, I'll work with another outfit to get chips that hopefully maximize performance from the current engine configuration.
Just wanted to make sure the DME wasn't going to freak out if it lacked connection to the cycle valve.

And yes, dual-port wastegate and manual boost control have been installed. From what I've read, single-port wastegates are a pain to regulate with manual control.
Ah, ok. Honestly, your really not going to get much performance out of a chip set. So the current set is ok. Whats going to give you hp is running more boost. The drawback there is having overboost protection. A lot of after market chips eliminate it altogether. If you don't plan on other mods in the forseeable future and want protection from overboost than change to a 1 or 1.2 bar spring on the wastegate. Set the boost controller too the lowest setting and run off the spring in the wastegate.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM
zmf
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The drawback there is having overboost protection. A lot of after market chips eliminate it altogether. If you don't plan on other mods in the forseeable future and want protection from overboost than change to a 1 or 1.2 bar spring on the wastegate. Set the boost controller too the lowest setting and run off the spring in the wastegate.
Good advice. The dual-port is installed, so I'll go with that and be conservative. I'll probably set it for 14 psi, and go no higher that 16. I have a dedicated O2 sensor for AFR, but that only gives you an overall picture of output, and not what's happening at each cylinder and each injector. My concern was that an injector might have clogged, the cylinder went lean, and caused the now-repaired gasket break, so the injectors have been cleaned and tested.

My track philosophy is to continue to drive faster, not have a faster car, so maybe the current chip will suffice.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:01 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by zmf
Good advice. The dual-port is installed, so I'll go with that and be conservative. I'll probably set it for 14 psi, and go no higher that 16. I have a dedicated O2 sensor for AFR, but that only gives you an overall picture of output, and not what's happening at each cylinder and each injector. My concern was that an injector might have clogged, the cylinder went lean, and caused the now-repaired gasket break, so the injectors have been cleaned and tested.

My track philosophy is to continue to drive faster, not have a faster car, so maybe the current chip will suffice.
Yeah, your at stage 1. If you want more, stage 2. You'll have to do a sizable make over. As far as hp is concerned. One gets acclimated pretty quickly.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 PM
zmf
Instructor

Yeah, your at stage 1. If you want more, stage 2. You'll have to do a sizable make over. As far as hp is concerned. One gets acclimated pretty quickly.
Stage 1. That's me. I admire the folks who enjoy optimizing stand-alone systems, but it's not my priority.
True about acclimating to hp and speed down the straights. However, increasing mid-corner speed and improving your line never gets old.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by zmf
Stage 1. That's me. I admire the folks who enjoy optimizing stand-alone systems, but it's not my priority.
True about acclimating to hp and speed down the straights. However, increasing mid-corner speed and improving your line never gets old.
Hp makes a good driver better. Plus standalone isn't always the solution. my last 951 had a great and reliable maf setup and was very reliable on track pushing over 400 whp on a 2.5 stock block.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 PM
zmf
Instructor

Hp makes a good driver better. Plus standalone isn't always the solution. my last 951 had a great and reliable maf setup and was very reliable on track pushing over 400 whp on a 2.5 stock block.
Can't say that doesn't sound like fun. But after two blown head gaskets in 3 years, I need to build up trust in the car again. I've run with folks who assure me the MAF upgrade really wakes up a 951, so that's probably my next step.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by zmf
Can't say that doesn't sound like fun. But after two blown head gaskets in 3 years, I need to build up trust in the car again. I've run with folks who assure me the MAF upgrade really wakes up a 951, so that's probably my next step.
I hope you dont trust a car that was intended to blow up. Have you ever watched the movie ground hog day. i hope this car keeps me young as I relive the experience.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 PM
zmf
Instructor

I hope you dont trust a car that was intended to blow up. Have you ever watched the movie ground hog day. i hope this car keeps me young as I relive the experience.
Well, don't know what "intended to blow up" means. But yeah, bro, may we stay forever young.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I believe some, possibly all, Weltmeister chips also came with a wastegate shim so that might be something else you'll want to look into moving forward.
I'm curious, how do you know you have a Stage 4 chip set? Do you have the serial number or numbers off them?

I also have an '89 turbo with Weltmeister chips installed by the previous owner. I have both their DME and KLR chips and the car still has over-boost protection, bumped into it once. Also running stock intake and cycling valve.
I'd be curious to compare serial numbers on the chips if you have them available. I have mine but not handy at the moment.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:56 AM
zmf
Instructor

Originally Posted by mj951
I believe some, possibly all, Weltmeister chips also came with a wastegate shim so that might be something else you'll want to look into moving forward.
I'm curious, how do you know you have a Stage 4 chip set? Do you have the serial number or numbers off them?

I also have an '89 turbo with Weltmeister chips installed by the previous owner. I have both their DME and KLR chips and the car still has over-boost protection, bumped into it once. Also running stock intake and cycling valve.
I'd be curious to compare serial numbers on the chips if you have them available. I have mine but not handy at the moment.
If I pull the chips for an upgrade, I'll get you the serial number. Previous owner probably installed the same package as you: Stage 4 chips, shimmed wastegate spring, and the Lindsey "boost enhancer" valve. The shop working on my car recently verified the chip model.
What boost psi you were experiencing when the protection kicked in?

Quick Reply: Stock chips OK with manual boost control?