Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I'm not saying "goodbye" but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts
Default I'm not saying "goodbye" but...

… for the first time in about 30 years, I no longer own a 944 platform car.

First, let me say that I count a lot of y'all as friends, we've hung out on this particular forum pretty much since the beginning. I will most certainly continue to be a part of Rennlist AND this particular forum. Its been a huge part of my life for a significant part of my life, and for that, I say a very heartfelt "thank you!"

But, after some contemplation, I have realized that it was time to close the doors on some aspects of my life. One of which, as pointed out by a dear friend of mine, was that I was liable (or perhaps that was "likely" after I texted a picture of my shenanigans to said friend while playing with my 951) to experience life changing results if I didn't modify my behavior, particularly behind the wheel of my 951. The Gen'l Sherman (my 951) was/is a beast and deserves to be treated with respect and I was acting like I was still twenty and going to live forever... With my medical history, one bad off-road excursion could paralyze or kill me.

In addition, to be honest, I have found my Porsche "soulmate" with my 987.2 Spyder. Its everything I loved in my original '84 944 times 1,000 and as a result, I was not spending the time paying attention to the Sherman that I should have. And the Sherman definitely deserves the attention.

Therefore, I am pleased to announce that my beloved 951, the Gen'l Sherman has passed onto a new owner and to a guy that is truly my brother in every sense of the word except blood, Ben (aka HY M8NCE here on Rennlist). He has started posting here a bit more recently but he has been a Rennlister for a long time and is not a newbie here since he has owned a couple of 944's in the past. Ben is showing the attention to the Sherman that I haven't and has the car looking and running better than it has for the last 5 years, please help him along the path as he enjoys the glory that is 951 ownership.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the best to you
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Scott, it's been a pleasure having you around. Thanks for all the sage advice over the years, and thanks for passing along your car to a caring owner...

So, does it still feel like you're cheatin on Sherman when you jump in the Boxster and enjoy it?? ;-)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Best of luck.

Nice story
Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Enjoy your new ride and don't be a stranger. Once the "boost bug" hits, you'll be back in a 951.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What kinda friend would do that to you? Obviously you already miss your Sherman. Time for another one...and a paint job and different rims is all it would have took. Maybe a car wrap? Ok i’m mean. But you’re regretting that decision, we can all tell. At least you’re still in a Porsche.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 PM
User 41221
Banned

Hahaha... Ben and I were talking about that on Saturday after we had been out hooning around in our cars. Truth be told, I enjoyed watching the Sherman going down the road more than I probably ever did driving it down the road. Its a beautiful car, even if he does drive it slower than my grandmother.

I seriously doubt I have owned my last 951 or 968, but I will be fairly discerning about *which* one and when I get it. In the meantime, I expect I'll still get plenty of wrenching time on the Sherman and will live vicariously through Ben and on this forum. Like I started this thread with, I ain't going anywhere...
Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Even if he drives it slower than my grandmother" Jackass. Scott can have it back whenever he wants. We both got tired of seeing the car sit in storage gathering dust-and decided the best way to get it used often is to put it in my garage. It's been a long time since I owned a 951 (say 2005?) and it's all coming back to me. Been replacing all of the items you would on a car that's been sitting.

The non car guy (gal) sees these things as a car. Wheels, Body, Seats, Engine. The reality is that's just what a car needs - not what it is. That's different for everybody. For some, it's a tangible link to your past. For some, it's the realization of a dream. Others, a nemesis. For me, it's sanity. It's a place I can lose myself in a garage without thinking about life. It's too loud to hear a cell phone in it-so I am unreachable in it. It's been a long time since I had that-and I'm grateful to be the caretaker for a while. Sherman is enjoying the attention-

And don't worry - Scott's going to be back in a 944/968. It's too ingrained in him. He's also got a 928 on a lift in his garage that doesn't know what the term "daylight" means.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, and let me just say - John, the Vitesse Stage 2 kit on this car is soooooooo good. Awesome power, great manners, and the cam gives it a nice lope at idle that can remind me of my old Chevelle. Very impressive stuff.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats on the Spyder, interesting story, I recently became the owner of a 987.2 Spyder, it's everything and more than can be described. I sold my '87 911 Coupe to fund the Spyder, I am fortunate on the other hand because I was able to keep my '89 951!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 PM
User 41221
Banned

Originally Posted by HY M8NC
"Even if he drives it slower than my grandmother" Jackass. Scott can have it back whenever he wants. We both got tired of seeing the car sit in storage gathering dust-and decided the best way to get it used often is to put it in my garage. It's been a long time since I owned a 951 (say 2005?) and it's all coming back to me. Been replacing all of the items you would on a car that's been sitting.

The non car guy (gal) sees these things as a car. Wheels, Body, Seats, Engine. The reality is that's just what a car needs - not what it is. That's different for everybody. For some, it's a tangible link to your past. For some, it's the realization of a dream. Others, a nemesis. For me, it's sanity. It's a place I can lose myself in a garage without thinking about life. It's too loud to hear a cell phone in it-so I am unreachable in it. It's been a long time since I had that-and I'm grateful to be the caretaker for a while. Sherman is enjoying the attention-

And don't worry - Scott's going to be back in a 944/968. It's too ingrained in him. He's also got a 928 on a lift in his garage that doesn't know what the term "daylight" means.
No, no, no... its in your garage and looks like it totally belongs there. You can call me "jackass" all you want but you won't be able to say it my face as I drive away from you in the Spyder.

And yeah, that lope the cam gives it makes it sound like the hotrod of 951's, its a great sound and Vitesse is the only way to go, from my personal experience. I'm not sure I will get quite as carried away next time around, I'm thinking more along the lines of a mostly bone stock Guards Red '86 with LSD and Fuchs, that I will tastefully modify/restore rather than go "mother of all hell" like I did with the Sherman. A well sorted 951 will still hang with just about anything on the road as far as turning and stopping goes, and that's where the driving is the most fun. Almost anyone can go fast in a straight line.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Looking forward to having your top installed into my car! I'll have to look into the cam too; sounds cool!

Oh, and none of us really say goodbye; we might disappear for a few years, but we always come back.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:39 PM
User 41221
Banned

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Looking forward to having your top installed into my car! I'll have to look into the cam too; sounds cool!

Oh, and none of us really say goodbye; we might disappear for a few years, but we always come back.

Plan on spending a couple of hours hanging with us out at the garage condo when you come out to pick it up. I’ll give Ben and CJ all the old beer, I’ll have fresh beer for you.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Be safe Scott! Fun times over the years....

Quick Reply: I'm not saying "goodbye" but...