Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 porsche 944 early OPRV shim

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 porsche 944 early OPRV shim

I recently rebuilt the motor in my 944 and everything is running great but I have some concerns about my oil pressure. The max oil pressure I see hot or cold is about 4.2 bar on my gauge throughout the rev range(about 2.5k RPM and up) and I assume that's where my OPRV is opening. I read around that the OPRV should open closer to 5 bar. I have the original 3 piece OPRV and would like to shim it. Does anybody have information on how thick of a shim I should start with? I assume the washer goes inside the cap to push the spring out further making it stiffer?

Some information and concerns:
When I push the car hard on these 90 degree days I see an idle pressure around 1-1.2 bar. Never drops below 1 bar. I still get 4.2 bar at 2.5k RPM, and also 4.2 bar at idle when cold. I read some conflicting information of people who say this is a safe oil pressure at idle and others say that when hot i should be getting around 2 bar at idle. I'm currently using a 20w-50 conventional oil. The intake fitting for my oil cooler is hot while the exhaust fitting is cool, and the cooler itself goes from warm to cool across it, so i assume the oil cooler is working. Is it possible the weak spring in the OPRV is causing the lower idle pressure? Is it possible my oil cooler thermostat is not opening and only allowing the minimum oil to pass through so the oil is over-heating(I did have the thermostat out of the car before and everything looked good and moved freely)? Maybe my oil pressure sender is reading slightly low? Am i just being paranoid?

I will probably start by shimming the OPRV and switching to a 10w-40 synthetic oil since neither of those things could hurt? and go from there. Thank you all for your time.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should probably hook up a oil pressure gauge and see what your actual pressure is to eliminate a faulty cluster, wiring, sender, etc.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mahoney944
You should probably hook up a oil pressure gauge and see what your actual pressure is to eliminate a faulty cluster, wiring, sender, etc.
Is there a way to hook up a mechanical gauge temporarily as a tester?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a similar issue on my last 951. First check the torque on the crank as the pump rotates based on friction. If it isn't torqued properly then there is a chance of slippage.

My issue was the pump. After running hard on track the oil pressure fell below 1 bar at idle. I thought the 20-50 oil put to much of a load on the seals. I don't think I'll be using it on the new car.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I had a similar issue on my last 951. First check the torque on the crank as the pump rotates based on friction. If it isn't torqued properly then there is a chance of slippage.

My issue was the pump. After running hard on track the oil pressure fell below 1 bar at idle. I thought the 20-50 oil put to much of a load on the seals. I don't think I'll be using it on the new car.
I’ll re-torque the main bolt since it’s not hard to do, although I did torque it to 150 ft/lbs when I rebuilt the motor. I also read that 10w-40 is ideal for the track since it flows more and the synthetic oil molecules are better at moving heat since they have more surface area.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

So i went ahead and shimmed my OPRV, I used two washers that fit inside the head(they came off the 10mm water pump bolts i had laying around) and my oil pressure increased from 4.2 to 4.7 bar. I haven't had the car hot enough yet to see if idle pressure increased. Here are some pictures(parts disassembled, cap before washers, cap after washers)

Last edited by nocomment; 06-14-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

EDIT: there is something def. wrong with my gauge, after i shimmed it the oil pressure when warm was reading the same as my oil pressure on cold start without shims because the gauge maxes out at 4.7bar. Idle pressure read about the same when warm. I know the gauge needle can move the full range(reversed the connections on the sender) so its not a cluster issue, so unless the length of the wire matters like it does for the O2 sensor(I had to re-do a lot of the wiring to the sender) then the sender is bad. Either way I will be installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:22 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Does '89TT with a one-piece OPRV need a shim?
Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s85b50
Does '89TT with a one-piece OPRV need a shim?
You cannot shim the one piece styles, only the 3 piece since it comes apart like in the photos above.

Quick Reply: 1986 porsche 944 early OPRV shim