Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

how to wrap headers (2-3)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default how to wrap headers (2-3)?

well I pulled the headers off to wrap them (never mind the arguments for/against, i'm wrapping them, IF I can)
SO, I started with the 2-3 section...and after several hours its NOT going well. HOW did you guys do it?? I tried it every which way I could.
Problem is around the Y part, with the amount of taper in that area it makes it very hard to wrap that section, it doesn't sit flush since the wrap doesn't stretch. it starts to slide off, it's like wrapping a cone. or If I try to wrap it nice and even the edge of the wrap starts to have big gaps so it looks like a set of steps/spiral.

Im doing it over the heat shields, not going to remove those.

I did have a spray bottle and dampen the wrap.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

big waste of time and effort. The headers are already shielded so how much more is wrapping going to accomplish? Also if you have any oil seepage from the cam tower it soaked into the wrap......fire
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1

The heat shield on the factory headers is very good. It is comprised of multi-pieces of asbestos formed to fit the header then the metal heat shield is attached. I've taken IR heat readings of the factory vs wrapped SFR aftermarket headers and the factory ones ran a bit cooler.

That being said, the aftermarket 2-3 header is difficult to get a good wrap on but not impossible. In my experience you need to soak the wrap in water not just spraying it to get it damp. You also need to do it in two steps. I forgot which tube you do first but I will post a picture of the one I just wrapped.

Also, I had a wrapped set on for a couple of years. I had a small cam tower leak. It gives you plenty of warning with smoke on start up and burns off quickly. No fire. Now if you had a catastrophic cam tower leak while driving it would probably start a fire, regardless of wrapped headers or not.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM
GJB928
Instructor

It has been my experience that once they go through a couple heat cycles the wrap tightens up. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Once I get 1-4 completed they will be for sale.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

but those aren't the stock headers, they dont have as much of a V at the junction, which is whats giving me the trouble of laying flat.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:08 PM
GJB928
Instructor

It slides off because of the angle and pinch welds. The wrap doesn't have enough surface area to grab on to. The pinch weld introduces a hard angle to the edge of a round surface as it tapers. Honestly I've never seen stock headers wrapped with the heat shields still in place. Why are you attempting this?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

You really shouldn't be doing this on stock headers unless you remove the factory shields and even then you won’t gain anything except stress if it’s ever going to catch fire.

Ive no experience but a friend did it to his stock headers and they lasted about a week. With normal engine vibration the sharp edges on the factory shields quickly tore through the wrap and it ended up a mess. I’ve also seen a wrapped non-stock header on fire from a small cam cover oil leak, without the wrap it would have likely just evaporated off the headers but with the wrap it continued to saturate it with oil until....

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know if there is much difference to the 951 headers. 05-11-2018 I wrapped my 968 headers. Some photos --> https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...l#post15003321

I clamped the respective header in a vise and tied it with the help of my son very firmly around the tube. Then I fastened it with steel zip ties and sprayed it with heat proof color.

The photos below are of today or around 1000 miles later. No issues so far.

Last edited by H.F.B.; 06-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

https://www.goodfabs.com/exhaust-heat-shield-insulation

This setup is nice
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Factory heat shield had been removed on this set of headers so I wrapped them to reduce heat in the engine bay. Lasted about 8 years on a track-only car.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I do mine exactly like Jim's pics.

I make my own wire straps out of stainless wire so I don't use the stainless locking pull ties that are commonly sold as accessories to the wrap.

I get less that 8 years but surely it's based on run time of the engine cycles.

For those commenting on oil leak saturation = fire hazard, well, fixed your oil leaks, an oil leak is a fire hazard with or without header wrap.

If you have ever cut the factory shield off the 944T headers (other models do not have), you will realize that the efficiency of the factory installed material is well past it's prime.

Other than keeping under hood temps (and temps of surrounding parts) a little lower, the wrap helps keep heat (energy) in the tubing, exactly what you want driving the turbo.

T

Quick Reply: how to wrap headers (2-3)?