Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default URO motor mounts OEM?

Deleted
Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Fyi those URO mounts are useless, they cause a minor vibration and buzzing from day one and by six months they are done and you’ll be doing the job again. Ftw fit genuine Porsche mounts only, btw URO was never a Porsche OEM for the mounts and even if they were, who’s to say their aftermarket mounts would be produced to the same spec as Porsche mounts, OEM is not Genuine.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:53 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Fyi those URO mounts are useless, they cause a minor vibration and buzzing from day one and by six months they are done and you’ll be doing the job again. Ftw fit genuine Porsche mounts only, btw URO was never a Porsche OEM for the mounts and even if they were, who’s to say their aftermarket mounts would be produced to the same spec as Porsche mounts, OEM is not Genuine.
++++1

I have been let down with aftermarket mounts on numerous occasions. Pics below. Meyle are probably the best aftermarket but simply don't last like the P ones do. The issue is that they collapse prematurely. On the RHD cars this results in the exhaust manifold fouling on the steering shaft and on all cars it cuases excessive engine movement and vibration.

Sounds like the tech is making a bit of a meal of fitting the URO ones but he is doing you a favour suggesting OEM. The Porsche ones are very expensive but they are constructed differently and to the best of my knowledge are the only ones that have hydraulic filling. You could skimp and change the Meyle every 18 months but it is a hassle of a job.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

yikes, Porsche even has a published spec for new vs worn mounts, want to say "worn" is 70mm or less height.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Given that I put about 100 miles a year on the car and it’s going to be stored for the next two years I think these will suffice.

But these are not OEM?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:05 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Given that I put about 100 miles a year on the car and it’s going to be stored for the next two years I think these will suffice.

But these are not OEM?
No. OEM is used loosely by many (including me) and it causes confusion. It is used even more loosely by after market parts suppliers. It is meant to mean Orignal Equipment Manufacturer. This doesn't mean it is the same as the Porsche part. Just made by a company that may have supplied parts to Porsche. In this instance I don;' believe URO have ever produced engine mounts for Porsche. Nor have Meyle. (I hve that in writing from Meyle).

In fact I have very rarely found an OEM part that is identical to the Porsche part and in almost all instances the OEM parts have been inferior. I like saving money and have tried very hard not to buy Porsche original parts but over the years I have slowly learnt that it is often a false saving.

Another good example is brake discs. Zimmernam discs are pretty good and they definitely manufacturer discs for Porsche so cvan genuinely claim OEM. Perfectly good for road use but in my experience are more prone to warping and wear on a track car. They look the same but the spec has to be different.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
...But these are not OEM?
URO may have produced some obscure part at one time for Porsche so they can claim to be an “Original Equipment Manufacturer” (OEM), they didn’t produce any parts for the 944 and everything they produce now is a vastly inferior, cheaply made aftermarket part.

Porsche mounts are really good, smooth and long lasting, they have a 3 year parts and labor warranty from Porsche however they’ll last at least 6 years and likely much longer.

Originally Posted by beamishnz
...Meyle are probably the best aftermarket but simply don't last...
Meyle top, URO bottom, surprise they’re the same!

Meyle is reboxed Chinese, URO is reboxed Meyle, both are trash.

Source: https://pin.it/ozz5uqge2b4nss

Last edited by MAGK944; 05-28-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Never heard of a dealer installing non-OEM parts.
Did you supply the mounts or did the dealer source them??

Last edited by mwc951; 05-28-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwc951
Never heard of a dealer installing non-OEM parts.
Did you supply the mounts or did the dealer source them??
It happens quite regularly in New Zealand and Australia in an attempt to avoid customers going to independents. They allow you to supply your own AM parts but it voids any warranty so generally not wise. Part of the problem is that Porsche original parts in Australasia are approx twice the cost of the same parts in USA.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
URO may have produced some obscure part at one time for Porsche so they can claim to be an “Original Equipment Manufacturer” (OEM), they didn’t produce any parts for the 944 and everything they produce now is a vastly inferior, cheaply made aftermarket part.

Porsche mounts are really good, smooth and long lasting, they have a 3 year parts and labor warranty from Porsche however they’ll last at least 6 years and likely much longer.

Meyle top, URO bottom, surprise they’re the same!

Meyle is reboxed Chinese, URO is reboxed Meyle, both are trash.

Source: https://pin.it/ozz5uqge2b4nss
Oh well with Trumps new tariffs URO will be the same price as Porsche original . LOL
Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by beamishnz
No. OEM is used loosely by many (including me) and it causes confusion. It is used even more loosely by after market parts suppliers. It is meant to mean Orignal Equipment Manufacturer. This doesn't mean it is the same as the Porsche part. Just made by a company that may have supplied parts to Porsche. In this instance I don;' believe URO have ever produced engine mounts for Porsche. Nor have Meyle. (I hve that in writing from Meyle).

In fact I have very rarely found an OEM part that is identical to the Porsche part and in almost all instances the OEM parts have been inferior. I like saving money and have tried very hard not to buy Porsche original parts but over the years I have slowly learnt that it is often a false saving.

Another good example is brake discs. Zimmernam discs are pretty good and they definitely manufacturer discs for Porsche so cvan genuinely claim OEM. Perfectly good for road use but in my experience are more prone to warping and wear on a track car. They look the same but the spec has to be different.
Correct.

I used to work for Trelleborg which are the worlds largest supplier of soundsolutions NVH for cars and amongts them the shims that is mounted on the brake pads to make them Not to squeel.
We tested all new true OEM parts together with aftermarket parts often made by the same supplier as the OEM parts. However the aftermarket parts NEVER performed as the factory OEM parts.

Tests was made in dynos in real life simulations and racing conditions.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Content removed from post #1 so people can understand WTH this thread is/was about.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

It got sidetracked but the issue that was highlighted is that "OEM" is not the same as "factory OEM" even if it is the same supplier that produce them.
That was the case with the OP if I understand correctly? A Porsche supplied engine Mount would probably fitted and performed as intended.

I have faced similar issues several times with non factory supplied parts and always buy from Porsche nowdays.

I hope it worked out for the OP.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:53 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Matt if its not too late purchase and fit the genuine mounts. The UROs are like putting in old engine mounts, probably similar to the ones you removed from the car.
Regards
Sean

Quick Reply: URO motor mounts OEM?